U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:46 PM

642 posts, read 263,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
OK .... we get it. SIZE is what matters. I truly do. Chicago needs to be knocked down continuously. Its motion on Lake Michigan is less too. Vibrancy cannot be without the top densities continuously.

Wow another who Luvs Chicago and Boston too. Now I get it. I'm convinced ... reply I am. Boston is just lacking too. Size again girth maybe? Yes those great Bostonian Terrace Row-homes..... just still lack vibrancy. Just can't compare to NYC.
Why is Chicago being knocked down. We're talking about one city being much larger. Some people don't like high density and congestion. Why are you so defensive. There's nothing debatable about this. Nor is any city being knocked down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 08:54 PM

3,227 posts, read 1,558,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Why is Chicago being knocked down. We're talking about one city being much larger. Some people don't like high density and congestion. Why are you so defensive. There's nothing debatable about this. Nor is any city being knocked down
I said size matters. I don't know why posters get this idea from to reply as they do? I'm still surprised this particular thread is active. But you posted the same in other threads. You are consistent. On Chicago that is .....

Old 11-20-2017, 09:33 PM

377 posts, read 202,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
What is your problem with Chicago?? In the context of NYC Chicago is not a big city? Any city with 2.7 million people in a metro area of 10 million is a big city in the United States. I guess if you are from Asia then 10 milion is a drop in the bucket. First its the architecture, then the size, what next?
I have no problem with Chicago. I'm not going to heap on it any unnecessary praise. Last I checked, loving Chicago is not some requirement to have an opinion.

And, I responded to a comment by midwest1 saying Chicago and NYC were both big cities. No. Compared to NYC, Chicago is not a big city. This is important to note since the subject of this thread is if "X got his big city fix in Chicago is it worth to go to NYC." And obviously yes, because Chicago is not big in the same sense as NYC. Try to follow along.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:49 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,310,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
I'm actually surprised NYC is as clean as it is. Think about it Manhattan is 23 square miles and has a population of the entire city of Chicago
Manhattan actually only has the population of Philadelphia. Which is still impressive for its size, especially when you consider that the 23 Square miles includes Central Park and all those other islands around Manhattan too. The actual area of Manhattan where people actually live is even less than that.

You might be thinking of Brooklyn (71 sq miles), which has around the same population as Chicago. Here’s a few cool maps showing you how many city populations you can fit in each borough with a few different combos:
https://viewing.nyc/maps-show-what-m...-nyc-boroughs/

Old 11-21-2017, 12:36 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,594,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Manhattan actually only has the population of Philadelphia. Which is still impressive for its size, especially when you consider that the 23 Square miles includes Central Park and all those other islands around Manhattan too. The actual area of Manhattan where people actually live is even less than that.

You might be thinking of Brooklyn (71 sq miles), which has around the same population as Chicago. Here’s a few cool maps showing you how many city populations you can fit in each borough with a few different combos:
https://viewing.nyc/maps-show-what-m...-nyc-boroughs/
Crazy to think that no other major US city comes close to even Brooklyn/Bronx urbanity (outside of the downtown areas at least)

The Western 2/3 of Queens is also very urban.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:08 AM

1,182 posts, read 480,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Turnabout is fair play.

If you are not wealthy, either Americann, Mexican, Latin American, Asian, and European, etc, and for some reason you have already visited Chicago, maybe for work, or you attended school.in the Midwest....

And your travel budget is limited, is it actually worth it to spend the money to visit New York City??
I think this whole question is silly --of course it is. The answer is yes going in the other direction as well. Both are deservedly among the premiere destinations in the US. Why would anyone have to choose if travel matters at all to them?

Old 11-21-2017, 06:30 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,167,038 times
The answer to the OP's question is yes. And the reverse is true as well: it's worth visiting Chicago if you've already seen NYC. The two cities are very different.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:30 AM

11,917 posts, read 3,641,014 times
They are different places. Sometimes you want an apple, sometimes you want an orange. It all depends on what you want to do and see.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:23 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,308,178 times
I think that NYC and Chicago can both be unique from each other and still at the same time be very similar. Alot of it has to do with what you are comparing.

Even if Chicago is less dense than NY, it is dense enough that you have good public transit and walk-ability. The sort of lifestyle you could live in NYC and Chicago are similar when compared to other places.

Of course there are differences in geography and history and different architecture, but they have more in common with each other than they do with other cities. I think people who like one tend to like the other.

I think density is a game of diminishing returns, once you reach a certain level, you need more and more people for it to make a smaller difference. Eventually, there is a point where a place becomes too crowded even for those who love density. No one (or almost no one) wants the lower east side to return to it's historic high point for density.

The same goes for size. There are certain advantages you get from being over a certain size and those diminish with every additional person after a certain point. There are some advantages that NYC has being three times bigger than Chicago as well as some disadvantages, but it isn't like NYC is like 3 Chicagos.

To me this is like when people compare Dallas and Houston, or maybe a better comparison would be Houston and San Antonio. The lifestyle you would live in both of these cities is pretty similar, but the cities are still unique from each other.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:51 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,817,438 times
As someone who has been to both cities many times, I think they are both must-see's. NYC probably has the edge for history, but both have world-class museums, great restaurants as well as a bunch of other tourist attractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel