U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2017, 09:48 PM

550 posts, read 274,184 times

Advertisements

Hi!

So for the past two years and this will be my third year I have been going to Chicago with my dad for his business trip and we have stayed at the same hotel. The head concierge has always gone above and beyond for me. I email her and she makes notes on the reservation. Last year we got upgraded to an awesome suite and she has always desserts or snacks waiting. Last year I gave her a card with a small amount of money. This year I have a card and was going to give money again.

What is the right amount to tip a concierge? This is a five star hotel.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 04:10 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,465,000 times
You have to sneak up on them real quiet like if you want to tip them. It's like cow tipping just they aren't as big.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:18 AM

1,172 posts, read 477,617 times
There are a couple thoughts on this, though the consensus seems to be anywhere from $5 to $20 depending on what they do for you -- and only if they do something helpful for you. Examples:

-Concierge - $5-10 for help with hard-to-get dinner reservations or theater tickets. Tipping is optional for just plain advice, but $5 is the minimum. Tipping can be done at the end of the trip or at the time of service, just keep is straight so that you are fair.

Tipping Etiquette Guide from FindaLink.net

-Hotel concierge: $10-20 depending on request, at departure.

http://money.usnews.com/money/person...-tipping-guide

-Concierge: No obligation for answering questions. $5-10 for tickets or restaurant reservations; $15 for hard-to-get tickets or reservations (or 10-20% of the ticket price)

General Tipping Guide - The Emily Post Institute, Inc.

No question if the concierge does the things for you described above, it's very much appropriate to tip.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:27 AM

4,410 posts, read 1,639,451 times
$100 sounds reasonable.
Your dad seems to be making quite a bit anyway, so let these little employees have a good day too.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
$100 sounds reasonable.
Your dad seems to be making quite a bit anyway, so let these little employees have a good day too.
I would be the one tipping because I have been the one dealing with her and requesting. I don't make a ton of money myself, but I wanted to make sure I gave her something. My dad does all the tipping for the house keeping though. I try to make sure to tip the hotel staff that helps me myself as I use to work service industry.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
There are a couple thoughts on this, though the consensus seems to be anywhere from $5 to $20 depending on what they do for you -- and only if they do something helpful for you. Examples:

-Concierge - $5-10 for help with hard-to-get dinner reservations or theater tickets. Tipping is optional for just plain advice, but $5 is the minimum. Tipping can be done at the end of the trip or at the time of service, just keep is straight so that you are fair.

Tipping Etiquette Guide from FindaLink.net

-Hotel concierge: $10-20 depending on request, at departure.

http://money.usnews.com/money/person...-tipping-guide

-Concierge: No obligation for answering questions. $5-10 for tickets or restaurant reservations; $15 for hard-to-get tickets or reservations (or 10-20% of the ticket price)

General Tipping Guide - The Emily Post Institute, Inc.

No question if the concierge does the things for you described above, it's very much appropriate to tip.
Thank you! I have some money for her in a nice card. I appreciate the articles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel