U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 10:28 AM

2,792 posts, read 2,285,099 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'll be doing an open water dive in Thailand and they said I will need my open water diver certificate. But when I went to Padi to sign up, it said I had to register with a surf shop. I couldn't find the one in Thailand. Can I put down any random surf shop? I contacted the folks in Thailand and they said they would ask their operator but it's been a couple days and I haven't heard back. I need to get it soon if I'm going to do it. I think they will let me take it in person in Thailand but I prefer to get it online because I had a friend who did it in person at the Caribbean and she said she wouldn't be able to use her certificate anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 10:45 AM

4,241 posts, read 8,085,527 times
Confused...if you have completed all but Open Water check out dive, but have cert from PADI, NAUI, et al, I don't understand why any legit dive shop in Thailand or anywhere else in the world would not allow for an Open Water check out dive?

If you haven't done any/most of the initial dive lessons, I don't get the online part, except for book work and passing the written tests.

Have you done some in pool/in water basic skills?

As for 'Caribbean', I took a week long course in the Caymans way back in '85 when I got my PADI cert and card: every day in water, all day long, with repitition of all the necessary underwater skills. ~600 dives later, my wife and I are pretty good.

Imo, the 'card' is like a driver license at 16: none of us know what we are doing at that initial point, so be careful. SCUBA, like any skill, takes considerable practice and very careful awareness of situ. It is 2 -3 atmospheres deep even for beginners.

GL, mD

Old 11-20-2017, 10:54 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,079,658 times
PADI or SSI are generally the big two. PADI in the Americas and SSI is bigger in Asia.

As motordavid said, it's basically your driver's license for diving. You can't do it without it, as you're too much of a hazard to yourself and others.

An open water course is exactly a course.

https://www.padi.com/padi-courses/open-water-diver

https://info.divessi.com/en/scuba-di...diver-180.html

Old 11-20-2017, 11:57 AM

2,792 posts, read 2,285,099 times
It says I need to affiliate with a dive shop when I try to register... I clicked on a random shop to register and now it's saying I don't have a coupon code to take the course...

Last edited by GummyShark; 11-20-2017 at 12:14 PM..

Old 11-20-2017, 01:03 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,079,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyShark View Post
It says I need to affiliate with a dive shop when I try to register... I clicked on a random shop to register and now it's saying I don't have a coupon code to take the course...
You need to talk to a local dive shop to arrange your in water activities. They are the ones that will offer the course. You have the ability to complete a lot of it online, but ultimately you need to work with a local dive shop/instructor

Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 PM

5,248 posts, read 5,174,974 times
Quote:
Hello,
I'll be doing an open water dive in Thailand and they said I will need my open water diver certificate. But when I went to Padi to sign up, it said I had to register with a surf shop. I couldn't find the one in Thailand. Can I put down any random surf shop? I contacted the folks in Thailand and they said they would ask their operator but it's been a couple days and I haven't heard back. I need to get it soon if I'm going to do it. I think they will let me take it in person in Thailand but I prefer to get it online because I had a friend who did it in person at the Caribbean and she said she wouldn't be able to use her certificate anywhere else.
You need to sign-up through whatever shop you are doing your open water course with---actually, when I did mine, the dive shop set it up for me.

BTW-If you get something like PADI/SSI, you can use it all over the world not just in one place. Not sure which one your friend supposedly did, but both allow you to do part of the course from home (online component) and the rest of the course you have to do in person. (You have to do ACTUAL dives to get the open water certificate.)

MOST places offer introductory dives that do not require certification.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:46 AM

285 posts, read 296,331 times
Quote:
Hello,
Find a dive operator wherever you're going in Thailand and check to see if they offer training. Many do. I'm confused about the online piece, because you have to do your dives in person anyway. I did my OW through NAUI, and the coursework was online along with a final test, but I still had a pool session and 4 dives.

Someone in my class got his OW through PADI in the Caribbean but got screwed and never got his card or had record of his participation. So he had to retake everything. Something to be mindful of (e.g. maybe search reviews and make sure people have had success getting certified). PADI, SSI, and NAUI are recognized worldwide. People will argue which is better, but I don't think it matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel