U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 05:34 AM

7,729 posts, read 18,594,750 times

Advertisements

Washington, DC is also a great destination, with free museums everywhere, and where new ones open regularly. Dining offers every cuisine known.

Sometimes we miss mentioning our own back yards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 06:17 AM

4,342 posts, read 7,416,822 times
Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions! We already visited New Orleans earlier this year and we went to Chicago the last time about two years ago (but in April when the weather was warmer) so if we went there it would be to see all of the holiday displays and try some restaurants that we haven't been to.

I really like the Washington, D.C. idea, I hadn't thought of that. I also like the Williamsburg idea, we haven't been there in fifteen years. The only deterrent to those is the drive time or cost of a flight. I am trying to be economical, so the destinations out west sound fun but over budget. I probably should have specified that we need to stick to the eastern U.S. We also visited St. Augustine, FL a few years ago and thought it was nice but not somewhere we would visit again this soon.

We may just do Chicago via Amtrak, depending on if DH wants to go there again so soon and brave the cold. We live in Michigan but we aren't all that outdoorsy, especially when the temps get below freezing.

Again, thank you so much for all of the great suggestions, I really appreciate it! Even if we don't do some of them this time, you have given me food for thought for future trips.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:29 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,930,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Quebec is supposed to be wonderful (cold, yes, but wonderful) in December.
Around and after Christmas yes, but in early-to-mid December there may not be snow, which would end up like much of the northern half of the Eastern US without snow during the winter (brown/grey), not particularly pretty.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:06 PM

806 posts, read 511,232 times
OP have you considered a quick trip down 75 to Lexington KY? It's a lovely a place with lots to do and eat. People are friendly and weather will be much better than up north. Best wishes

Old 11-21-2017, 05:34 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,749,928 times
There is a train that goes from South Bend to Toledo and on to DC.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:49 PM

3,461 posts, read 1,853,604 times
We are New England empty nesters, and for the past couple of years we do Christmas with family and in a day or so we head to Florida to spend NYE with friends down there. Florida is great at that time of year, warm/not humid. It's not only different and fun to spend New Years on a beach, but a nice reprieve of winter before it really kicks in. Only issue is getting there, air fares are outrageous around those holidays, past couple of years I drove (along with thousands of snowbirds heading south), this year we are trying the train, we bought in advance and RT fare for two in coach from Stamford, CT to Tampa, was less than $550. Don't know if you're up for a trip that long, but that's my two bits.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,526 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions! We already visited New Orleans earlier this year and we went to Chicago the last time about two years ago (but in April when the weather was warmer) so if we went there it would be to see all of the holiday displays and try some restaurants that we haven't been to.

I really like the Washington, D.C. idea, I hadn't thought of that. I also like the Williamsburg idea, ... We also visited St. Augustine, Burr!!! weather COULD (likely) make this trip miserable...

We may just do Chicago via Amtrak, depending on if DH wants to go there again so soon and brave the cold. We live in Michigan but we aren't all that outdoorsy, especially when the temps get below freezing.

Again, thank you so much for all of the great suggestions, I really appreciate it! Even if we don't do some of them this time, you have given me food for thought for future trips.
I will up my vote for San Antonio and Hill Country TX (not eastern, USA, but not western either...)

Greenville, SC and Asheville, NC can be nice in Dec, chilly... but unlikely frigid . Burr!!!

Old 11-22-2017, 05:23 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
DH and I are a couple of empty nesters in our mid-fifties who have been discussing what to get each other for Christmas this year. We are at that stage in life where we really don't need more things, so we were thinking about a short trip, maybe 3-5 days. I have roughly a week off of work the second week of December and he is retired, so we are free to go for a few days. We live in Michigan and would either drive, fly, or we have a credit on Amtrak that we need to use before April for $136.

NYC is something I mentioned. We have never been there and could also use Amtrak to Penn Station, except that when I researched it a bit, I found that the hotel rates in December are "sky high" because of all of the shopping and Christmas displays.

I would reconsider NYC as one could stay in one of the new chain hotels (which rates are usually much cheaper than Manhattan) in Long Island City, Queens which is just across the river from Midtown Manhattan with a very short ride via easy 24/7 subway access. December in NYC is quite beautiful with all its X'mas decorations including the Rockefeller Center X'mas tree. Also the famous X'mas Radio City Music Hall Rockettes show is a must do for most.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:22 AM

3 posts, read 915 times
its summer in sydney now. you can visit there.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:15 PM

8,115 posts, read 8,616,186 times
Nashville. Short flight from Detroit or you could spend a day driving there each way. It's not warm, but will be warmer than Detroit. No snow. Lots to do for the holidays. It has become a very trendy city. You could also spend a couple of days in Gatlinburg or Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or