U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 02:50 PM

7,290 posts, read 4,145,583 times

Advertisements

If you're going to be near Badlands National Park, you can make a reservation to tour a Minuteman Missile launch site. https://www.nps.gov/mimi/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 10:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,524 posts, read 39,903,732 times
fit in the 'enchanted highway', Americana Roadtrip material
7 Ways to be Awed on the Enchanted Highway | Official North Dakota Travel & Tourism Guide
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2155

Needles Highway (Custer, SD)
Mitchell Corn Palace (attend a Polka competition) Mitchell Corn Palace, SD | Official Website

Old 11-22-2017, 07:45 AM

910 posts, read 528,866 times
No advice but just have to say South Dakota in my opinion is one of the most beautiful yet underrated states for tourism. I was blown away with how many attractions there were to see.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:07 AM

4,720 posts, read 4,013,639 times
What time of year will you be making this trip? Many tourism sites & commercial businesses are summer only.

I wouldn't drive a loop on the Interstates. That particular route would be a very boring trip. Use scenic byways & pack up a cooler full of snacks.

8 of The Most Beautiful Scenic Byways In North Dakota
Montana Scenic Drives, Highways & Routes

Follow The Montana Dinosaur Trail For Adventure
Montana has the mapped out dinosaur trail of sites & museums.

Go see Makoshika state park by Glendive. Any state park in Montana is worth a visit. They have either free or very low cost entrance fees. Montana State Parks :: Makoshika

Miles City has 2 things well worth stopping for. The saddle collection upstairs at Miles City Saddlery and Range Riders Museum. If bucking horse sale is on, you should get tickets. (3rd weekend in May)
Miles City Bucking Horse Sale
Miles City Saddlery
Range Riders Museum

If you like history, I would drive farther north to see Fort Union just inside the North Dakota border. During certain days in the summer there are even re-enactors. You can walk around inside it and get a real feel for what a trading post of fur era was like. It is oart of the national parks system. https://www.nps.gov/

If it is paddle fish season, you can go to the confluence of Yellowstone River meeting Missouri and see someone catch a paddlefish....or get a license and try it yourself...would recommend you book an outfitter. I'm not sure of ND fishing regs, here's info
https://gf.nd.gov/fishing

I enjoy off the radar places like Wibaux Montana, where an old Catholic Church built of scoria charmed me. You do not see places like this from the interstate.

In Rapid City you must stay at the Hotel Alex Johnson.
Alex Johnson Curio Collection hotel in Rapid City, SD

Nearby Deadwood has gambling & historical museums & goldrush era bu8ldings. https://www.deadwood.com/.

Also, the previous poster rec of Mammoth site by Hot Springs, SD a good one.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:23 AM

10,467 posts, read 8,417,014 times
The Laura Ingalls Wilder family homestead and many related sites featured in Wilder's autobiographical "little house" series are in De Smet, SD. There is also an outdoor drama each summer based on her "Little Town on the Prairie" (the "little town" was De Smet).

Old 11-22-2017, 09:51 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
If you're going to be near Badlands National Park, you can make a reservation to tour a Minuteman Missile launch site. https://www.nps.gov/mimi/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm
have always wanted to do ^this but the groups book up early and the one time we attempted to get in "the day of..." there were no openings.

staying overnight in the NP Cabins in the Badlands is a must, so that you have the park mostly to yourselves for sunrise and sunset.

pay no heed to those that dismiss Crazy Horse as a rip-off, it's worth every dollar and if you hit it the first weekend in June, you can trek up to the top of the monument.
https://crazyhorsememorial.org/crazy...olksmarch.html

If you go as far East as Bismark, ND there is a Mandan Village and FT Lincoln (7th Calvary) barracks that provides a glimpse of history seldom seen.
Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park

Old 11-22-2017, 11:12 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,036,459 times
We took a family vacation to SE S Dakota years ago, and it was one of our favorite outings: Mt Rushmore (kind of meh, but way redeemed by being there on 4th of July), Crazy Horse, Deadwood, Badlands (briefly - a drive-by), Wall Drug (regrettably), Carhenge (in Alliance, NE). Would have liked to add Devil's Tower WY and the Corn Palace (Mitchell SD) but didn't have time (and didn't want to test the kids' patience with the driving). But really, just that corner of SD is packed with interesting stuff.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:23 AM

39,307 posts, read 2,966,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
We took a family vacation to SE S Dakota years ago, and it was one of our favorite outings: Mt Rushmore (kind of meh, but way redeemed by being there on 4th of July), Crazy Horse, Deadwood, Badlands (briefly - a drive-by), Wall Drug (regrettably), Carhenge (in Alliance, NE). Would have liked to add Devil's Tower WY and the Corn Palace (Mitchell SD) but didn't have time (and didn't want to test the kids' patience with the driving). But really, just that corner of SD is packed with interesting stuff.

I would agree, Wall drug was not worth the stop, I think the bus driver made it as a pit stop. And to kill some time, but if I was by myself, I'd give it a miss, unless you are into that kind of thing.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:34 PM

3,868 posts, read 1,644,470 times
My favorite thing about Mt. Rushmore is the tunnels you drive through to get there each perfectly frame the monument. Check it out!
Crazy Horse is a monument to a Native American that is being built without government funding.

We visited Wall Drug (something in the middle of nowhere), the Corn Palace, Deadwood (the cemetery, of course)

Are the "Goosenecks of the San Juan" in SD? I love the name, and the overlook was amazing. Oops, googled, that's in Utah.

I've never been to North Dakota, maybe someday soon.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,524 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've never been to North Dakota, maybe someday soon.
Go during "Sunflower season" (Early Fall)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or