Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 10:43 AM

939 posts, read 500,479 times

Advertisements

I was vacationing in the Sheridan, Wyoming vicinity and thought I should spend a day to drive over and finally see Mt Rushmore. A lot of miles (and in fact I managed to stop and see Devils Tower quickly), but I figured with the high speed limit, I should do it. I don't regret it, but wow, the experience of the Black Hills is something I clearly missed out on. I intend to return and arrange an entirely separate getaway for that area alone. Gorgeous- and a lot of outdoors stuff to do- reminded me of the White Mts and White Mt Nat'l Forest. I always thought Mt Rushmore was some place right off interstate 90 (which it is not) and not so much natural beauty to take in and quaint towns worth visiting along the way (even if there was your prototypical tacky t-shirt shops, etc... that abounded).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 02:42 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,887,797 times
The Black Hills Train Trip between Keystone and Hill City is worth checking out.

https://www.1880train.com/

Old 11-29-2017, 08:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,611 posts, read 57,597,402 times
Mickelson Trail is great too! Bike or hike
Mickelson Trail Affiliates

Old 11-30-2017, 10:52 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,152,556 times
I've never been but my MIL was there and really enjoy it. It's on the north Dakota Canadian border. International Peace Garden. I think technically it may be in Canada.

International Peace Garden

10939 Highway 281, Boissevain, MB R0K 0E0, Canada

https://g.co/kgs/yt75iv

Old 12-01-2017, 12:14 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,491,447 times
I went to North Dakota last year to visit where family had come from, (tracing my roots), but also did sightseeing.

My favorite was Custer State Park, right in the middle of the Black Hills. The scenery & wildlife were incredible...we ended up in the middle of a bison herd (in our car)...saw lots of bison babies (calves, I guess?). I will never forget that.

All of the Black Hills are beautiful. There was a “rails to trails” trail, open to hikers, bikers, and I guess snow sports in the winter, that was very scenic, that I want to see/do more of. I enjoyed the town of Deadwood, I know it’s touristy, but still fun.

Definitely go to the Badlands. There are also Badlands on the western border of North Dakota, Theodore Roosevelt NP.

We didn’t go to Mt. Rushmore...I had gone there with my relatives years ago, and on my recent visit the line to get in was loooong...many tour buses. You can actually see the 4 presidents from the main road.

Spouse wanted to see Wall Drug, but was disappointed...it’s just a big store, but the location is convenient to the Badlands.

Because I was there to see the old family farm & the little farm towns where my family came from, I spent a lot of time on the little farm roads in North Dakota. It was sentimental & meaningful to me, but it’s also slow-paced & like stepping back into another era, so I would recommend doing that, just for the experience & to get off the tourist track.

We went in September, 2016, perfect weather. We are definitely going back.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,611 posts, read 57,597,402 times
You want a great steak dinner?

This place is a legend of the west...(one of many legendary steak houses... try them ALL!~)

Alpine Inn - Hill City, SD
https://www.yelp.com/biz/alpine-inn-hill-city
https://www.facebook.com/AlpineInnHillCity/

Cash or check, no Plastic, no reservations accepted... you gotta wait your turn, It is worth it
only (2) items on the menu... Filet Migon or Veggie something

Old 12-03-2017, 06:24 AM

19 posts, read 18,981 times
Thank you for all your recommendations and advices. I think I have to make a list so that I don't miss an important spot to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel