U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:58 AM

3,696 posts, read 3,290,608 times

Advertisements

In the last week and a half, my family has dealt with three cancelled flights (not weather related), four pieces of lost luggage, eventually found three busted pieces of luggage even with the TSA approved locks, and during a TSA rummaging at the International to Domestic transfer area at LAX items stolen out of the luggage. Yep... I love to fly....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 09:18 AM

15,079 posts, read 19,030,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
In the last week and a half, my family has dealt with three cancelled flights (not weather related), four pieces of lost luggage, eventually found three busted pieces of luggage even with the TSA approved locks, and during a TSA rummaging at the International to Domestic transfer area at LAX items stolen out of the luggage. Yep... I love to fly....
That many problems sounds highly unlikely to me, but here's a solution: Don't check your bags.

We haven't checked a bag on the outbound portion of holidays or business trips in over 30 years. Lost my bag ONCE, which caused a big hassle. Even though I got it back, I won't check bags again (except in the rare occasion that the plane is too small for carry on). On the return flight, if checking is free, they can have the damn thing. I keep hoping they lose it so I can go shopping on their dime. We've travelled for more than a month and 22 day cruises this way, using a clothes washing place or laudrymat when necessary (NO, I'm not paying the ridiculous prices on cruise ships or hotels.)

Another solution: Don't lock your bags. What's the point? And don't put anything of value in those bags.

Sorta like when you drive a car: fasten your seatbelt and don't leave valuable crap where it can be seen in the car. Prevention and planning.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:12 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,591,544 times
Not to minimize hassles, but these are First World problems to me. The only alternatives are taking ships for days (weeks) in bad weather, seasickness, etc., or not traveling overseas at all, neither of these is acceptable to me, ymmv.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:16 PM

1,806 posts, read 809,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Not to minimize hassles, but these are First World problems to me. The only alternatives are taking ships for days (weeks) in bad weather, seasickness, etc., or not traveling overseas at all, neither of these is acceptable to me, ymmv.
If you find not travelling overseas at all is unacceptable, it sounds like a very first world problem.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,825 posts, read 54,503,450 times
I like traveling, and enjoy flying. I just hate having to go through the TSA security. Road trips are the most enjoyable for me, but you can’t drive to Hawaii.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:10 PM

1,573 posts, read 825,853 times
I'm starting to really dislike public transit in general. Flying doesn't bother me, but unpleasant passengers and unprofessional staff do.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:57 PM

3,696 posts, read 3,290,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That many problems sounds highly unlikely to me, but here's a solution: Don't check your bags.

We haven't checked a bag on the outbound portion of holidays or business trips in over 30 years. Lost my bag ONCE, which caused a big hassle. Even though I got it back, I won't check bags again (except in the rare occasion that the plane is too small for carry on). On the return flight, if checking is free, they can have the damn thing. I keep hoping they lose it so I can go shopping on their dime. We've travelled for more than a month and 22 day cruises this way, using a clothes washing place or laudrymat when necessary (NO, I'm not paying the ridiculous prices on cruise ships or hotels.)

Another solution: Don't lock your bags. What's the point? And don't put anything of value in those bags.

Sorta like when you drive a car: fasten your seatbelt and don't leave valuable crap where it can be seen in the car. Prevention and planning.
LOL... I would have said unlikely as well till it happened.

Three consecutive days our Air France flight from Papeete to LAX was cancelled. Twice while we were actually on the plane on the tarmac. Why they didn't bring a new plane I'm not sure, but a whole 777 full of passengers spent more time in the Islands on Air France's dime. We ended up flying Air Tahiti home because the plane was still having "technical" difficulties. And according to Delta today, the reason we lost our luggage when we got home... the TSA inspection caused it all to miss connection.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:26 AM

708 posts, read 778,259 times
Flying doesn’t bother me. It signals the start of my next adventure! I like people watching in the airports or spending time in the airport lounges when there’s time. It never gets old watching planes being prepped or flights leaving/coming in. Take off and landing is always fun. I love flying and I love window seats, watching the clouds, and seeing a storm from that eye level is truly a wonder.... BUT flying does have its annoyances.

TSA - I’ve invested in Pre-Check and Global Entry, both well worth it, but TSA can still be a pain when coming through smaller airports. And before Pre-Check and GE - I swear I felt like a criminal most times dealing with them. Always wanting to pat me down and feel me up. At least I was never taken to a private room, sheesh! Nope. I will hold on to my new status for dear life now. The TSA agents smile politely at me now and have friendly words... still don’t trust them. The Customs agents ask one question and just waives me through once I give them my GE kiosk printout. God Bless the separate line for people with GE.

Airline Seats - I do hate that leg room gets tighter and tighter and I’m short, barely 5’ 2”. I’m thinking of switching to aisle seats on long haul flights just to make it easier to get up and stretch more often. I just hate being disturbed when trying to sleep.

Damaged luggage, a new phenomenon - I have never minded checking bags, never lost anything before and never an issue, but my last two flights ended up with damaged luggage. Beyond ticked, but at least the wheels still worked and I could get my items home. My beautiful Delsey luggage... *sigh*

Carry-on luggage is out of control - It used to be a small handful of business travelers, but now everyone wants to bring their entire life in their carry-on luggage, so it can take even longer to get to your seat when not on a priority carrier. This is why I sit near the front because deboarding can be just as bad.

Every basic comfort has a cost - Speaking of priority, paying for seat upgrades in basically the same class of seating is ridiculous. I believe it was Delta I was flying when this happened. The general nickel and diming of American carriers is ridiculous. Food, blankets, headphones, luggage... I expect to pay to use the toilets soon. This is why I try to stick with carriers where I have some status, or just go international. International carriers do things better.

But even with my complaints, it’s still my favorite way to travel. I like road trips too, when I’m taking my time to get there. Otherwise, let’s fly.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 210 times
Yes, I love Travelling instead of Flying. I love traveling by car for a long hilly area. In Holiday Weekend, I want to go trip for Leh-Ladakh, Shimla, Kasol & Solan.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,614 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
LOL... I would have said unlikely as well till it happened.

Three consecutive days our Air France flight from Papeete to LAX was cancelled. ... according to Delta today, the reason we lost our luggage when we got home... the TSA inspection caused it all to miss connection.
Quite a unique situation, fortunately one I have not encountered in 45 yrs and thousands of flights... but... maybe tomorrow.... I am now 'retired' so if something disrupts me, I cope. (Had 8 flights in one day all change / cascade recently (two busy days in one week)). Due to unexpected SWA ultrasound of Fan Blades.

I survived, but again.. I don't often check bags, even on our 1 yr RTW.

I frequently check FREE bags for coolers of Salmon and construct tools. If they are late... I enjoy the free travel credits offered by SWA! More flying! Perfect.

TSA... seems a hassle (worst part is 2-3x the needed TSA staff all hanging around with hands in pockets...)

I have missed ONE flight in last 10 yrs due to TSA (Training new employee by 100% detailing me)
I have a lot of exchanges with useless TSA managers... but.. the whole ordeal is about 10 min out of my life. The employees LOVE reaping that GRAVY! EZ job with benefits, but VERY boring (in USA). other coutries actually hire engaging and highly qualified and diligent security staff/ USA just finds warm bodies that HATE working with the public. They are very inept, I am not surprised they are minimally effective. Very ez to get illegal stuff / people through TSA. as is proven every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or