U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2018, 08:34 PM
 
Location: SoCA to NC
1,877 posts, read 6,901,545 times
Reputation: 1228

Advertisements

Xanax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2018, 12:14 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
6,563 posts, read 3,662,092 times
Reputation: 12348
I like to travel and hate flying and have too many horror stories to mention. I love train travel but everyone probably has an Amtrak horror story, even me. But in a comparison of the experience of the journey, I'll take Amtrak any day because the journey matters to me. For me, the train is a community on wheels and you get to meet fellow travelers and you all have something in common, at least for the time you are together. You can move around and stretch your legs and take advantage of a sleeper if you want. The food is good. Flying is the most uncomfortable and inhumane way to travel and they expect you to pay for the privilege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2018, 08:47 AM
 
Location: On the road
5,939 posts, read 2,891,210 times
Reputation: 11361
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Flying is the most uncomfortable and inhumane way to travel and they expect you to pay for the privilege.
Without addressing the extremely hyperbolic use of the word "inhumane" I'd point out there are far more uncomfortable ways to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2018, 05:12 PM
 
838 posts, read 301,546 times
Reputation: 1084
Amtrak. They're as safe as flying. Of the two, if there's a crash, only one or two get hurt and few die. With flying, if there's a crash, all die. Amtrak because if there's a delay, you'd much rather be in a train depot than an airport. Amtrak because parking is cheap or free. Amtrak because the seating is stellar and you can walk around. Amtrak because the air is circulated so less chance of getting a cold like you do when you fly. Amtrak, because you can bring your own healthy food and water onboard! Amtrak because you won't be frisked. But they have drug sniffing dogs. Amtrak, so you can doze through the night. Sadly, their new CEO with ties to the airline industry, is allegedly trying to close one of the most popular and used cross country routes. And in addition, is trying to eliminate the dining car's freshly prepared food. Successful travel is supposed to be seamless and so if you need to get your rental car by the time the office closes, but your train is late, then having a Plan B is a bit more important with Amtrak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2018, 07:19 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,561 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Reputation: 23699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Amtrak. They're as safe as flying. ... Amtrak because if there's a delay, you'd much rather be in a train depot than an airport. Amtrak because . Amtrak because the seating is stellar and you can walk around. Amtrak because the air is circulated so less chance of getting a cold like you do when you fly. Amtrak, because you can bring your own healthy food and water onboard! Amtrak because you won't be frisked. But they have drug sniffing dogs. Amtrak, so you can doze through the night. ... (IF) ...your train is late, ....
100% of my Amtrak travel have been late (only about 10 trips) . (3) were more than 2 days late!

FWIW... I have not found a train station that even compares to a Airport for safety / overnight comfort. BUT... if you are strictly on a train... expect DAYS of sitting in train stations (from my experience). Some USA train stations are down right dangerous... definitely NOT sleeping places!!

I have used and enjoyed Amtrak (on my own schedule NEVER on time constraints.

In the other parts of the world... Train travel is very common and FAST (and safe) and on time... usually (except India... and such.. Thailand / Malaysia ran pretty late too. )

4 flights yesterday (as often the case). no problems, no delays (as is often the case)... No bumps / free tickets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2018, 07:20 PM
 
9,802 posts, read 5,008,332 times
Reputation: 33812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Amtrak. They're as safe as flying. Of the two, if there's a crash, only one or two get hurt and few die. With flying, if there's a crash, all die.
As of 2015 (the most current stats I can find in a brief search) trains are the second safest form of travel in the US with 0.43 deaths per billion passenger miles. Pretty damn good record, right? So you might be wondering what's the safest form of travel in the US. That would be plane travel, at 0.07 deaths per billion passenger miles. And though you say "with flying, if there's a crash, all die," Father Esequiel Sanchez of Chicago, and his 98 fellow passengers would disagree. They, along with four crew members, all survived a plane crash just a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Amtrak because if there's a delay, you'd much rather be in a train depot than an airport.
Why? They're both noisy buildings with lots of waiting. At least the airport is going to have far more amenities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Amtrak because parking is cheap or free.
When you can find parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Amtrak, so you can doze through the night.
Not everyone can "doze" on a moving train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2018, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
Reputation: 35230
I refuse to be treated the way airlines treat people nowadays, dragging people off of planes, leaving them stuck on the tarmac for hours, on and on. So, I just don't go anywhere that requires a plane anymore.

If I could afford to charter my own plane, yes, I'd travel by plane. But, I refuse to be at the mercy of these airlines that treat people like garbage nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2018, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Clovis Strong, NM
3,376 posts, read 4,823,419 times
Reputation: 1982
I know oceanic boat travel is not too impossible to do nowadays. It's just that the cost is up there and then the booking isn't exactly the easiest when it comes to getting to certain destinations. Particularly Pacific crossings vs. Atlantic crossings.

If I were to do this without dealing with passenger flight, I'd probably have to save up a little money and take on a skill that would net me some temp employment wherever I was laying my head. More than likely would have to quit the job for a while to get some legs of the journey done. But seems well worth it to use a container vessel for a particular spot. Month underway, month touring a host of countries, month underway again.

I personally like planes and helicopters and all they do. I just don't care much, like many others, for all the politics and policing surrounding it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2018, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Idaho
535 posts, read 471,796 times
Reputation: 1029
Flying is a necessary evil. I'm not afraid of it, but being 6'4 and 230 pounds in an Economy seat for hours on end is not a good time. Have a transatlantic flight next week and can't wait for the destination...even if the process of getting there is uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 11:41 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,561 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Reputation: 23699
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I refuse to be treated the way airlines treat people nowadays, dragging people off of planes, leaving them stuck on the tarmac for hours, on and on. So, I just don't go anywhere that requires a plane anymore.

If I could afford to charter my own plane, yes, I'd travel by plane. But, I refuse to be at the mercy of these airlines that treat people like garbage nowadays.
Did you completely read the data / scoop on the guy that supposedly got 'dragged' off the plane? (He has some issues...) but of course... so does UA... Unfortunately, that guy has cost me and thousands of other frequent fliers $x,xxx / yr in lost perks (free bumps and hotels).

86 flights so far this yr (in USA) + 6 international (as usual).. No 'negative treatment' (yet) ... maybe tomorrow (3 flights). I doubt it.

My only significant negative experience is the new 'entitlement' syndrome of "companion pets". I have well adjusted pets but I hate someone else's fleas.

I had some flight cancellations due to Fan Blade Ultrasounds... but I was rescheduled / credited and even got some unexpected free passes from SWA in the mail!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top