U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 04:39 PM

6,226 posts, read 2,886,730 times

Advertisements

I do so long to travel to unusual places. ( I detest Touristy places...blah!)
But I agree, the older I get the Less comfortable I am in sitting in a plane for hours upon hours...my legs cramp ( and yes I wear compression hoses). And I find the wind turbulence a bit much too...

Can't say that Ships get my second source of travel either.

Pretty soon its going to be a pogo stick for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 05:48 PM

3,630 posts, read 1,638,039 times
My body seems to take a day to readjust after a flight now. I used to fly at least 4 times a month. The seats have gotten smaller, the pitch more inclined, the margin for error smaller. I always look at first now when I fly. If it's within $200 I take it.

Soon we'll have flying cars.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:57 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,034,974 times
I detest flying, seats made for midgets (I am 6'2"), security hassles and the general rat race. If I never fly again that will be fine. We have flown a lot, trips to Europe, Australia, Puerto Rico and Costa Rica, but they have worn me out.

We traveled quite a bit in the US, Canada and Mexico with small travel trailers and enjoyed that a great deal. No interest at all in jumbo motorhomes. We have reached the age when we just enjoy staying home.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:26 PM

220 posts, read 148,380 times
I'm in your same boat OP. I love traveling. It is one of my biggest enjoyments in life. However, I hate flying. I like you am afraid that we are going to crash every time there is turbulence. I also don't like take-off or just being mid-air. Basically, I don't like any part of it besides getting off the plane and being in a fun new place.

I take a xanax before flying. And I color the entire time to help keep me calm. I color one of those adult coloring books. It helps me to focus on something else. To make things easier I try to fly non-stop if possible. Otherwise, I like to keep flights short. Under three is ideal, but not always possible for some far away cities. I just think of the reward once I'm off the plane.

Keep traveling

Old 11-24-2017, 08:41 PM

798 posts, read 730,775 times
I love to travel but hate flying. I like to drive, so I take a lot of short road trips. Short, meaning any destination within a 6-7 hour time span. It limits me, and my adventurous side is itching to explore areas outside of the southern and east coasts.

I donít think Iím up for doing a long road trip and making overnight stops. So if there is a place I would like to go, and itís a short plane ride, no more than 3-4 hours, and itís affordable, Iíll hop on a plane. Although, I am planning a New England road trip. I donít mind that because itís on the east coast, which is home for me. To take a long road trip outside of my comfort zone? I donít know. I have to grow up some more for that to happen.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:51 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,764,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm the same way. When I was younger flying didn't bother me. Heck I was in the AF back then. But as I've gotten older, it's to the point that I just hate flying. The whole experience. The bumps and turbulence don't bother me as much as the cramped seat, waits, security, wait some more, no food. I mean back in the day it wasn't gourmet food, but you got a reasonable meal. Now you don't even get peanuts.
I never minded flying, the turbulence was expected, the children were little and suffered from boredom/air pressure earaches; I/we got through all of it.

Today, the kids are grown and travel at their own leisure...me, I find the whole experience of heightened and repeated security checkpoints from airport to airport, from country to country (yes, an absolute must), 'the hurry up and wait', the moving of passengers like cattle from one area to the next and going through the body scans. I'm just not interested or tolerant of it anymore, I want none of it.

I make a point to stay in my country and travel by car or rail; my favorite is by rail. It's okay and it's all good.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:43 PM

1,917 posts, read 966,059 times
I'm holding out for teleportation.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 23,986,585 times
The last time that I enjoyed flying, or at least wasn't worried about some aspect of the process, was in the late '80s. Even then, I'd been on a series of bad, scary, flights and more time stuck in airports than I cared to think about. No thank you.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:55 AM

34,445 posts, read 41,547,959 times
Havent flown in 20 years,my philosophy is if i cant drive there then i dont need to go.
the whole flying experience from what i can see seems like endless lineups and interrogations ,
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...neau-1.3755148
No thanks

Old 11-25-2017, 06:45 AM

6,875 posts, read 3,735,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I never minded flying, the turbulence was expected, the children were little and suffered from boredom/air pressure earaches; I/we got through all of it.

Today, the kids are grown and travel at their own leisure...me, I find the whole experience of heightened and repeated security checkpoints from airport to airport, from country to country (yes, an absolute must), 'the hurry up and wait', the moving of passengers like cattle from one area to the next and going through the body scans. I'm just not interested or tolerant of it anymore, I want none of it.

I make a point to stay in my country and travel by car or rail; my favorite is by rail. It's okay and it's all good.
I think the "cattle" part sums it up for me. I used to feel like that as a paying customer, my business was important to them and they wanted me back, so I was treated like a paying customer. Now I feel like cattle on the way to market have more rights than passengers on an airline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or