U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 11:16 AM

6,585 posts, read 3,670,806 times

Advertisements

I'm retired and I travel a couple times a year but only fly if there is no other option. I hate what they have done to air travel. They treat you like cattle to start with and then cram you into a seat like turkeys on a turkey truck. Food? Forget it. Plus...you get to pay through the nose for the privilege of being treated like crap. I will drive or take the train on almost any domestic trip unless there is a time issue. Foreign travel requires flying in most cases (other than a cruise). I flew to Peru a few years ago on a foreign air carrier and seemed better than domestic flights...except for the food poisoning. I haven't flown domestic since 2014 when I had to go to the Bay Area for a wedding. The flight was awful including an unplanned and unexplained layover and plane change in San Diego. Things have not improved since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 12:45 PM

2,474 posts, read 905,905 times
I despise flying with a passion. For shorter trips, like to the next state, I have started booking one-way flights and returning on Amtrak. Trains have their own quirks but, for the most part, is a lot more pleasant experience. It also depends on where I'm going.

Reasons I hate flying is that - like most of us that's old enough to compare - we remember when the whole airport-airplane experience was rather pleasant. Seats have become shamefully tight, more kooks fly, you really can't trust check-ins (my husband had something stolen from his luggage), and security point is dreadful. I also tend to get back pain in those seats, and to avoid it I now take muscle-relaxants before I depart.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:15 PM

10,522 posts, read 8,768,030 times
I wish I could drive from Denmark to California! As I get older, flying gets more stressful. Ten hours or more in an airplane is not my kind of fun. Long lines, security checks, waiting, jet lag (9 hours) etc. makes it even worse. I don't fear flying. Tubulence relaxes me. The trips are worth it. This summer, my wife and I drove the WA-OR-CA coast down to the Bay Area and then headed East to the wine country and from there to Yosemite. We ended up in Thousand Oaks for a week, before flying back to Denmark. It was the best vacation we've ever had in the States.

My wife hates turbulence. She uses sedatives and alcohol to calm herself. It seems to work. She loved the trip.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:55 PM

1,008 posts, read 924,404 times
I don't love flying but I don't dread it as much as before. I download a couple of movies to a tablet (with Netflix or Amazon Prime), usually something I wouldn't find time or desire to watch otherwise. It keeps me occupied even during turbulence. If it's my day to die then there is really nothing I can do about it. I try to be nice to everyone and smile, just trying to make the best out of those few hours.

If you ever happen to be in Williamsburg, VA, stop by Jamestown settlement. They have replicas of the ships that were used by the firsts colonists. These are tiny, claustrophobic ships where only the captain had a private nook to sleep. Dozens of people were stuck on those ships for months, not knowing if they'll even make it. Compared to that a middle seat on a crowded Southwest flight ain't bad at all.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:56 PM

31 posts, read 18,491 times
I actually love to fly. I love taking early morning flights/night flights because I just put my pillow up to the window, put my headphones in and go to sleep, I actually sleep pretty good on planes. It just sucks when you get next to a crying kid, like I did last week when I flew--worse because the kid kept putting her feet all over me and the father did nothing about it.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:23 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,439,651 times
Default Cramped seats and no food are the worst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
But as I've gotten older, it's to the point that I just hate flying. The whole experience. The bumps and turbulence don't bother me as much as the cramped seat, waits, security, wait some more, no food. I mean back in the day it wasn't gourmet food, but you got a reasonable meal. Now you don't even get peanuts.

I agree. It's the experience that surrounds flying, all the things you named, that it more the problem for me. And add a screaming baby for the duration of the flight. I love children but on a cramped plane to hear non-stop scream-crying is nerve racking.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:11 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,261,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I think the "cattle" part sums it up for me. I used to feel like that as a paying customer, my business was important to them and they wanted me back, so I was treated like a paying customer. Now I feel like cattle on the way to market have more rights than passengers on an airline.
This is pretty much how I feel. I'm not a nervous flyer and in fact love to look out the window & just love aviation in general.

What I hate is the cattle call boarding, the long security lines, having to arrive way early for the flight and the sardine-can seating. No thank you.

I have taken to driving everywhere now. If it's closer that's great because I don't need a lot of planning. If it's further away, I just take a day (or two) and make an overnight stop or two if needed to get there. It's actually more enjoyable to me and I like the freedom.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:30 PM

7,742 posts, read 9,037,388 times
I used to hate flying but have learned to enjoy airports and know the reward is going somewhere else. I guess I tolerate flying.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:16 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,187,315 times
I'm like the majority of you - I hate to fly so much now, and it has really affected my travel choices.

I've always suffered from nausea when flying - in fact, I suffer from motion sickness in most types of transportation except trains. I don't mind traveling by car if I'm the one driving, though. So in recent years I've either driven, or taken a train. The problem is that in America trains go hardly anywhere I want to go.

It's more than suffering from nausea, though. It's claustrophobia that bothers me most on planes now. They pack everyone in so tightly, and everyone takes so much stuff on the plane with them (especially in the winter) that flying has just become unbearable. The last time I flew I genuinely fought the urge to scream out loud the entire flight.

I'm dying to go to Australia and New Zealand, but just don't know if I'd be able to withstand the flight. Has anyone ever flown Skycouch? Does it make the plane trip bearable?

Old 11-27-2017, 01:44 AM

1,806 posts, read 808,823 times
I also hate flying but this isn't the worst part.

I'm afraid of flying! Turbulence drives me nuts. Xanax is my only friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or