Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 09:15 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times

Advertisements

Anyone here use Chase credit cards for travel points? I understand the Chase Freedom travel portal got a major update with Expedia powering the search and redemption now. I use Chase Reserve and am wondering when we can expect the change over there. I've heard the changes were both good and bad, but the Reserve portal is somewhat limiting (particularly for international travel) so hoping for a positive change with Expedia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 06:36 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Anyone here use Chase credit cards for travel points? I understand the Chase Freedom travel portal got a major update with Expedia powering the search and redemption now. I use Chase Reserve and am wondering when we can expect the change over there. I've heard the changes were both good and bad, but the Reserve portal is somewhat limiting (particularly for international travel) so hoping for a positive change with Expedia.
I do. Its complicated, but between my wife and I we got Chase Reserve, Chase Preferred, and two Chase business cards. I was able to aggregate the points into my Chase Reserve Account. I have approximately 450,000 points in that account. I actually like the Chase portal for the most part.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:57 AM

10,357 posts, read 7,988,269 times
I do, but I never use the portal. I transfer all my points earned with Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Unlimited to my Chase Sapphire Reserve, and then move them to airline frequent flyer programs (usually United’s) to book frequent flyer tickets (generally for international business class).

Old 09-09-2018, 09:18 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Compare the value, including the big-time hassle factor, if using these points against the cash back offer.

This ex-accountant, frequent traveler, well known frugal retiree does cash back exclusively.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Compare the value, including the big-time hassle factor, if using these points against the cash back offer.

This ex-accountant, frequent traveler, well known frugal retiree does cash back exclusively.

Me too.

The problem with accumulating any sort of frequent flyer reward (air, hotel, or rental car) is that at any time, the provider may devalue the points. For example, when I started accumulating Wyndham points three years ago, I could book MANY properties for 8,000 per night. Now, they are all 15,000 per night.

In the case of air miles, you are ALWAYS subject to the whims of the airline making free seats available when you want them. With the cash back cards, you book whatever ticket you want when you want.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:28 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Use the Chase Venture One...double points on everything I buy and then just book the travel I want to at the best price I can find it and use the "purchase eraser" to "pay" for it with my points.....no booking thru them at all, just find my own best deal.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:27 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,520,072 times
I avoid third party travel sites, even Expedia, due to hassles should a problem arise. I haven't found any real bargains on the Chase travel website even with using the bonus for using it. I just book direct through the airlines and hotels and apply the cash points to my statement. Easy peasy, I'm happy.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:45 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
I used the Chase Reserve portal extensively this summer to do a trip to SE Asia. While I did transfer some points out to leverage some United miles I had, using the portal was nice when it came to some hotels, as you get 1.5 points on redemption, so in essence you're getting a 33% discount when you're booking your hotel rooms.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:16 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I used the Chase Reserve portal extensively this summer to do a trip to SE Asia. While I did transfer some points out to leverage some United miles I had, using the portal was nice when it came to some hotels, as you get 1.5 points on redemption, so in essence you're getting a 33% discount when you're booking your hotel rooms.
I like the portal. I've found cheap flights to Munich and Paris by using it. By cheap, I mean about $400 or slightly less round trip out of Boston or New York.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:28 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I live in an area where the airfares tend to be expensive because of a lack of competition from airlines to most destinations. So I love the old school miles because I can arbitrage the heck out of them compared to those high cash cost plane tickets, typically at 2+ cents per mile even on the domestic economy rewards tickets I book.

Cash back is generally not as good of a credit card option given out starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel