Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2018, 06:48 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,113,670 times

Advertisements

A minor point, and covered under TSA "Acceptable forms of ID to travel by air," but successfully tested a few days ago (obtained under the joint Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST program, early 2015) as my only form of ID. My ticketing, through Delta, was TSA Pre. That latter may be an important distinction, or not...

Yes, it says so on the site, but call me cautious. Thus, not "news" but a interesting in case (you) wish to try same for convenience.

I had my passport as backup. Passport is about to expire, I must mail it in and who knows, may take a while to renew. Or not, I dunno about wait times these days. I travel often domestically anymore.

I live in WA. I do not trust that our standard DL is acceptable for flying, I really hope it *isn't* if they issue to illegal aliens and other reprobates willy-nilly. Like getting a passport is a major hardship, I guess. I'll upgrade my DL to Enhanced in 2022 when it expires, assuming that is an option.

Ref, Googled it:

"Washington is one of five states whose standard driver license is not in compliance with the federal law. Washington's Enhanced Driver Licenses and Enhanced ID Cards are Real ID Act compliant and require proof of U.S. citizenship, identity and Washington state residence."

Anyway, thought the NEXUS (or similar) as ID test was a small point, once tested out in-person at the Delta counter and through TSA security (the latter, I already knew). Passport stays home moving forward, assuming I'm ticketed TSA Pre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 02:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,767,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
A minor point, and covered under TSA "Acceptable forms of ID to travel by air," but successfully tested a few days ago (obtained under the joint Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST program, early 2015) as my only form of ID. My ticketing, through Delta, was TSA Pre. That latter may be an important distinction, or not......
Anyway, thought the NEXUS (or similar) as ID test was a small point, once tested out in-person at the Delta counter and through TSA security (the latter, I already knew). Passport stays home moving forward, assuming I'm ticketed TSA Pre.
Be sure to register your Nexus on EACH of your airline profiles as 'trusted traveler #" (That is how you assure you get TSA-Pre boarding passes (otherwise it is random)). Your GE / NEXUS will not get you 'TSA-Pre... you MUCT have it documented on your airline generated boarding pass.

I generally use my Global Entry card as my primary North America flying ID. My $280 WA 'enhanced' DL is useless for flying. (Enhanced DL program ONLY pertains to ground transportation, not sea / air entry. ) My passport is very thick to be packing around on NA flights. I would not want to add the additional risk of losing my passport by using it for NA point to point travel. The Nexus or Global Entry card is much smaller. It has never been refused for domestic flying. *tho it is REALLY short on info and picture quality compared to DL (That can be a good thing).

I expect the Chinese will be selling the USA gov some of it's advanced Facial recognition / citizen tracking software. Seemed I was photoed and validated 100x during a few days in China last week. bright flashing photo lights everywhere. Driving, walking, ferries, airports, malls, street corners (and of course sports venues! (probably in bathrooms too. ) I felt my Chinese hotel room was probably 'live-streamed' . Pretty comical when the 'wanted' Chinese person got nabbed at the 60k person concert recently responded "If I knew I was gonna be recognized I wouldn't have come" (understatement)...

Both my RFID GE and my EDL live in shielded packets, but I expect i'm 'passing' my electronic footprint ID / presence around. My international subway cards don't like being near those packets! But with image software, there is little need for EDL.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:46 AM

24,538 posts, read 18,112,548 times
I typically only go to Canuckistan once at Christmas to visit my sister in Vancouver and sometimes once or twice per year on business in Quebec. It would be a long drive to get to the closest place to get a NEXUS card so I never bothered. With kiosks in airports these days, I never felt the need to get Global Entry for my occasional international flights. TSA Pre is fine. My drivers license doesn’t have the Real ID mark. I have a passport card in my wallet. I can drive to Canada in an emergency while my passport is being renewed. I only carry my passport when I leave the country.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:42 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,113,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Be sure to register your Nexus on EACH of your airline profiles as 'trusted traveler #" (That is how you assure you get TSA-Pre boarding passes (otherwise it is random)). Your GE / NEXUS will not get you 'TSA-Pre... you MUCT have it documented on your airline generated boarding pass.

I generally use my Global Entry card as my primary North America flying ID. My $280 WA 'enhanced' DL is useless for flying. (Enhanced DL program ONLY pertains to ground transportation, not sea / air entry. ) My passport is very thick to be packing around on NA flights. I would not want to add the additional risk of losing my passport by using it for NA point to point travel. The Nexus or Global Entry card is much smaller. It has never been refused for domestic flying. *tho it is REALLY short on info and picture quality compared to DL (That can be a good thing).
Yep, passport stays home for domestic. Yes, will register Trusted Traveler with each airline, and ensure ticketing is marked TSA Pre. Again, my "finding" only confirmed what was on the TSA website, but I found it a bit interesting. Tired of lugging around passport anyway.

The card itself does not get me TSA Pre, at the airport. Tried to bluff my way into that once, when somehow a mistake was made (by me, or Delta), and I was ticketed non-Pre. They didn't buy it. Back into the cattle line I went, at SEA. 45 god damn minutes later, I'm through the damn line and their damn scanner and I just about wondered when the rubber glove and long fingers were coming out. That is beyond horrid, clearly.

Enhanced DL won't save me at SEA either, huh? Interesting. Good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel