Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 11:17 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,750,301 times

Advertisements

I'll be doing a solo trip in Thailand for 2 weeks and don't have much planned. Was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. Here's my current plan. It's very loose. Traveling by myself, I get a lot of flexibility but also a lot of gaps. Would be great to get some help filling them in.

Day 1 -- arrive in Chiang Mai. Will be staying near heart of Chiang Mai so I can explore and visit the night markets.
Day 2 -- go to an elephant park
Day 3 -- Go to Chiang Rai to see temples
Day 4 -- fly to Bangkok, explore the grand palace, flower market, floating market
Day 5 -- explore Bangkok
Day 6 -- explore Bangkok
Day 7 -- Go to Krabi, explore Bamboo Island, Tub Kaek Beach
Day 8 -- Explore Krabi ... maybe go scuba diving?
Day 9 -- Don't know
Day 10 -- don't know
Day 11 -- Don't know
Day 12 -- Go to Phuket
Day 13 -- Explore Phuket... maybe go to Koh Phi Phi
Day 14 -- Fly out of Phuket

I was going to do a scuba diving boat tour for 4 days and 3 nights but they require 4 logged dives, which I don't have. I might still try and do an overnight boat tour without the scuba diving. Anybody recommend any companies? I have no plans for 3 days. Was wondering if there were other cities nearby I should check out? Thinking of visiting Pattaya but not sure what's there. Would appreciate any suggestions you might have. The only requirements I have is I fly in Chiang Mai and fly out Phuket so I have two weeks to explore the entire country! I'll be mainly staying in hostels so hoping they'll have some ideas but am open to any cities I missed.

PS -- I noticed there are a lot of forests in Thailand but since I'll be alone I don't think I'll be too comfortable going there. I'm such an introvert I don't mind being at the beach by myself for a few days. If nothing else, I might even get a room in a treehouse and stay there for the three days. Any one have any suggestions for tour companies though? I don't really like them but if there are some really good ones, I'll look into it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 11:38 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,324,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T North View Post
I'll be doing a solo trip in Thailand for 2 weeks and don't have much planned. Was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. Here's my current plan. It's very loose. Traveling by myself, I get a lot of flexibility but also a lot of gaps. Would be great to get some help filling them in.

Day 1 -- arrive in Chiang Mai. Will be staying near heart of Chiang Mai so I can explore and visit the night markets.
Day 2 -- go to an elephant park
Day 3 -- Go to Chiang Rai to see temples
Day 4 -- fly to Bangkok, explore the grand palace, flower market, floating market
Day 5 -- explore Bangkok
Day 6 -- explore Bangkok
Day 7 -- Go to Krabi, explore Bamboo Island, Tub Kaek Beach
Day 8 -- Explore Krabi ... maybe go scuba diving?
Day 9 -- Don't know
Day 10 -- don't know
Day 11 -- Don't know
Day 12 -- Go to Phuket
Day 13 -- Explore Phuket... maybe go to Koh Phi Phi
Day 14 -- Fly out of Phuket

I was going to do a scuba diving boat tour for 4 days and 3 nights but they require 4 logged dives, which I don't have. I might still try and do an overnight boat tour without the scuba diving. Anybody recommend any companies? I have no plans for 3 days. Was wondering if there were other cities nearby I should check out? Thinking of visiting Pattaya but not sure what's there. Would appreciate any suggestions you might have. The only requirements I have is I fly in Chiang Mai and fly out Phuket so I have two weeks to explore the entire country! I'll be mainly staying in hostels so hoping they'll have some ideas but am open to any cities I missed.

PS -- I noticed there are a lot of forests in Thailand but since I'll be alone I don't think I'll be too comfortable going there. I'm such an introvert I don't mind being at the beach by myself for a few days. If nothing else, I might even get a room in a treehouse and stay there for the three days. Any one have any suggestions for tour companies though? I don't really like them but if there are some really good ones, I'll look into it. Thanks!
I don't have too much advice in terms of the itinerary but you could always do your SCUBA certification if you have time to kill.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:46 AM

128,619 posts, read 11,890,495 times
I would take the first day just to rest & get over any jet lag, if you are feeling more refreshed by the time you start to sight see, you will enjoy them more. Sleep late & take a few leisurely strolls around your hostel area. ( first day )

Old 11-06-2017, 12:01 PM

5,237 posts, read 3,581,141 times
If you are younger I would suggest more time in Chiang Mai, there are a lot of younger travelers/expats that hang around there, even older folks would enjoy it but the hostels give good networking opportunities. I've heard very nice things about Pai as well & would suggest a look into visiting there.

I'm not a water person so I'm not big on the islands esp bland Phuket but that may be a good jumping off point for some of the smaller ones, so hot & humid tho. Expect the more famous ones to have a lot of visitors with a lot of boats at shore.

I really hated Bangkok first time around & I'm an urban person but I grew to sort of like it for it's singularity & it's surprises, like turning a corner in this intense mega-urban environment & finding a guy leading an elephant down the street (long time ago). I recommend finding a 4-5* hotel to have a cocktail in occasionally & finding out about the good street food stands before you go. Oh I had a tummy issue my first few times so Immodium AD & Pepto tablets are necessary in pocket (the street foods were rarely the culprit). You need to research & plan BKK before you go.

Pattaya is bargirl Central, either you are up for that sort of thing or not, the beach is unswimmable, polluted, but there is an amazing array of expats (men) with an amazing array of all sorts of cheap ethnic restaurants & bars including a Michelin star hawker shop (from Singapore) that is dirt cheap. Patts is probably the cheapest location on your list if you don't factor in partying.

Oh... & the most beautiful Thai women you will see were rarely born as women...

Last edited by Hefe; 11-06-2017 at 12:18 PM..

Old 11-06-2017, 12:30 PM

19,391 posts, read 27,670,070 times
I would add additional time in Chaing Mai. Both because it's a nice, interesting place, and to get over your jet lag. I'd make sure you have (at least) one FULL day in Chaing Rai.

I'd skip Pattaya and insert Ayutthaya and Lopburi instead. The Monkey Temple in Lopburi was one of the highlights of our trip. Don't wear any jewelry, especially earrings and necklaces if you go (not for concerns about crime - it's the monkey that want that stuff.)

Your planned time in Bangkok seems just about right to me.

Can't help with your plans to go south, though I know of no one that has really enjoyed Phuket that has traveled there in the last 5-8 years.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Can't help with your plans to go south, though I know of no one that has really enjoyed Phuket that has traveled there in the last 5-8 years.
Really? Why's that? I was originally going to spend a week in Chiang Mai but my friend said that would be too long. I wasn't even going to go to Bangkok but it was highly recommended to at least check it out. I'll look into Ayutthaya and Lopburi.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,644 posts, read 57,702,312 times
Sounds pretty 'touristy' to me... I would consider your favorite things to do and find 'out-of-tourist' zones to support that. (a friend just took a 'Kite-boarding' side trip home via Thailand. Took a flight to Samui, then a ferry to a non-tourist island and spent a few days there.

There are similar destinations near Phuket and Krabi. Look to Lonely Planet or trip planning that is not 'mundane' (I avoid 'tourist' travel, I prefer to stay, eat, travel, commute with locals. In Thailand I always rent a scooter and head out!) ~$4 USD / day

BTW: You shouldn't have ant jet lag is you are heading to Thailand westbound. It is coming back EAST that may kill you. Just adapt to the current time zone as SOON as you arrive. (especially at your PAID destination)... I avoid naps and sleeping in. Sleeping is for 14 hr airplane flights...

YMMV. but I really don't enjoy burning vacation time sleeping.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:10 PM

128,619 posts, read 11,890,495 times
It depends how old a person is, I find I need to rest on the first day, or the rest of the trip is in a haze. But I think no matter the age, the first day is a good day to explore your local area & acclimatize. The rest doesn't have to be sleep, but it can be just strolling around a new city, instead of galloping through some "must see"

Old 11-06-2017, 01:25 PM

285 posts, read 384,381 times
I'd spend maybe a day longer in Chiang Mai. Check out Elephant Nature Park up there (no riding).
Ayutthaya was an awesome day trip from Bangkok.
Phuket was fine overall. We stayed on a resort and did a couple day trips to smaller islands. Phi Phi was swamped with tourists.
You could check out getting scuba certified. I'm certified now, but wasn't when I was there.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:51 PM

I read good things about Koh Samui. I might spend a few days there. Should I bother with Koh Phi Phi? I was going to go to the full moon party but I haven't been reading good things about the island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel