U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 10:18 AM

5,937 posts, read 2,891,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
probable worthless trip after burying their students in debt for the next 20 years without a second thought.
1. You know absolutely nothing about the nature of the conference she's attending.

2. She has a job as a professor, which is indeed important to our society. She's neither setting tuition rates nor encouraging students to get a loan, she's doing a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 10:43 AM

496 posts, read 521,340 times
Don't go

Old 12-03-2017, 11:00 AM

1,088 posts, read 489,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Funny you mention this as I forgot - just about every "cheap" place I've been to has at least a small fridge and just about every "expensive" place didn't. Always exceptions though! Once the boss took us out to dinner and you should've seen the looks on our faces when we got back to our rooms with the leftovers and no place to put them. It was summer too, so we couldn't put them outside. Already full, we ended up eating them before bed! We were really hoping for them to be breakfast as we always left too early for the complimentary breakfast.
This has been my experience as well. The cheaper the place, the more likely it is to have a microwave, refrigerator, complimentary breakfast, and free parking. The upscale places charge extra for all of those.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:55 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,371,896 times
In South America $80 will get you close to Marriot quality . Supply and demand. Believe it or not there are people in America who pay these rates day in day out. That's why absolutely ZERO of my travel money goes to America. That's also why I have been to more places in Latin America than I have in America.

America doesn't want my 2 centavos and I don't do motor homes !

Old 12-03-2017, 12:45 PM

14,123 posts, read 20,887,348 times
We do. It's also about the environment, amenities, and the people that also stay there. It keeps the riff raft out

Old 12-03-2017, 01:05 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,764,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
During the low season, I got a great room(Peninsula) in Manhattan for under $300 using Hotwire.
I don't book hotel rooms through any of those websites. If you have a problem, very often you're screwed or have to go through hell to get it resolved. I've seen many people have trouble with those reservations at hotels. Many can't be canceled and refunded either. No thanks! I'd rather pay full price and deal directly with the hotel.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:11 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,764,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Marriot charges for breakfast (they serve all meals at their restaurant) and I think they charge for internet, too.
Depends on the type of Marriott hotel. Marriott has several different types of hotels. At the Courtyard, you pay for breakfast, but not internet (usually). At Fairfield and Spring Hill, breakfast and internet are included. There are other types of Marriotts, as well, but I can't recall staying in them. I feel like I've stayed at a Marriott, but it was a thousand years ago....before the internet was everywhere.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:21 PM

3,706 posts, read 2,196,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
We do. It's also about the environment, amenities, and the people that also stay there. It keeps the riff raft out

Perhaps they weren't riff raff, but they were certainly drunk and loud

Old 12-03-2017, 02:23 PM

7,221 posts, read 12,665,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Well they have to spend all that money rolling in from the tuition, books, dorm fees, and license income they receive not counting the money coming in from their alumni. I find it amusing that a college professor whining about a $400.00 night stay on a probable worthless trip after burying their students in debt for the next 20 years without a second thought.
Wow, what a totally jerky-type response. You know NOTHING about me or my students or my college or how I feel about student debt or anything else, but you somehow think this is about me (me PERSONALLY, not some "generic" person who is willing to spend $400+ on a hotel for a night, as long as someone else is paying)? How on earth are you ASSUMING all this from me thinking that $400/night for a hotel was, you know, expensive?

Honestly, I don't take most C-D replies personally, but this one is just a totally a**hole response that IS directed at me personally.

For the record, I've said many times in this thread how much the conference hotel will actually cost (it's the JW Marriott, and the conference rate works out to a bit less than $200/night). That STILL seems like a lot to me for a place to SLEEP, but if you had read this thread in its entirety, which clearly this poster didn't, you would know that the $400+/night hotel was a DIFFERENT hotel. But this poster seems to think that I was "whining" about spending $400/night in a hotel? Poster, READ THE THREAD.

And why on earth would you make assumptions about a "worthless trip" (it's not, it will actually be very interesting, I think) and how I was "whining about a $400/night hotel" (which I WASN'T, which you would know if you had actually read the thread)?

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 12-03-2017 at 02:34 PM..

Old 12-03-2017, 03:49 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,101,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Don't go
'Publish or perish' is still very much a thing in American academe when it comes to tenure and other promotions. Silly to skip something that will give you something for your tenure box when your school is willing to pay for the conference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or