U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 07:42 AM

538 posts, read 286,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Those capsules look like so many clothes dryers in rows in a laundromat.
As soon as I clicked that link and looked at those boxes... a morgue immediately came to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 07:48 AM

5,967 posts, read 2,905,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I wouldn't mind them if the only alternative is to spend $400 to sleep a night. Fortunately, I never find a city that is that expensive.
My wife and I have tried to stay in capsule hotels in Japan a few times, just for the novelty. Unfortunately every one we found separates by gender to completely different sections so the fun of having capsules next to each other wasn't an option and we declined.

Unfortunately most rooms in Japan don't have enough space to build a proper fort with cushions and blankets either.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:59 AM

12,255 posts, read 18,019,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
It's not your money, it's your employer's money.

Enjoy it.

When it's your money, stay in a Motel 6. They're still cheap.
Well, he is concerned about his employers money as well. How many of us think about that when we get our hotels etc paid for...not me!!lol!

Old 12-05-2017, 08:15 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,278,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
My wife and I have tried to stay in capsule hotels in Japan a few times, just for the novelty. Unfortunately every one we found separates by gender to completely different sections so the fun of having capsules next to each other wasn't an option and we declined.

Unfortunately most rooms in Japan don't have enough space to build a proper fort with cushions and blankets either.
I didn't find hotels to be expensive in Japan. In Tokyo and Kyoto, I paid about $60 a night for a single room with bathroom, not large but sufficient for my need. Clean and quite, centrally located, exactly what I needed but no more.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:24 AM

7,686 posts, read 16,121,603 times
This issue with capsule hotels, as with hostels, is the bathroom down the hall thing. I am no longer a college student and want a part of my day where I can pee and shower in privacy.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:41 AM

8,329 posts, read 6,186,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
But the thing is, when the company is footing the bill, the company doesn’t really care how much it costs. They say they do, but somewhere along the line there are kickbacks and perks and points and things, and it all evens out in the end and everybody’s happy. That might be what you’re experiencing if they’re giving you flak, just take the $400 room. There’s probably some sort of a kickback scam going on where if you take the $400 room, it’s actually only cost them $200 because they’re putting in other people or something. But that’s how life works now.
It depends on the company...In my experience there's always a budget. Just because someone is approving it or it falls within the budget, doesn't mean they'll always get away with it...or that your hubby's ex-boss isn't going to get called on the carpet at some point for ridiculous travel expenses. One of the first things they tell us as a group, if it looks like things are getting tight, is to watch our travel and get approval for it ahead of time. My Dad's experience with 3 different fortune 500's matches this. Many frequent travelers are brand loyal, if only for the points. But I agree that making the boss look bad isn't a good idea.

Many times, the IBM's and Pfizer's of the world have corporate, negotiated rates. They quote $400 to the outside world but if you booked through them with the corporate code you'd pay $190.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Couldn't someone have just said "yes" to this and saved the world a hundred comments?
She wasn't asking about Manhattan, she was asking about Indianapolis. Now, for a big race weekend, or if they were hosting the Superbowl, or March Madness? I can see that being the case. But for a regular weekday in Indianapolis it is ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I don't have to travel for business, so I may have a different opinion. I only travel on vacations and then the gloves come off. When I go to Vegas I always stay in a penthouse suite at the Mirage which runs $ 450 - $ 700 a night in season. It's just really nice. They pick me up in a limo at the airport, I don't have to stand in line to register, I call down and they reserve a chaise lounge for me at the pool. It's great! I go on vacation to be pampered, so the extra money is worth it to me. It's like flying first class. As long as you don't do it every week, it's really fun. And like they say in the Loreal commercials, "I'm worth it".

BTW, I went to the Annapolis Boat Show a few years back and then spent a week sightseeing in DC. At that time the Sofitel cost me about $ 375 on the weekdays and dropped a bunch on the weekend. I guess they jack up the rates during the week for the rich lobbyists.
Your rate for the Sofitel in DC on weekday is about what I would expect. I rarely stay in DC but do stay in Northern Virginia and its a lot more expensive. I can expect to pay $175 for a hotel that might cost $80-$100 in Greenville, South Carolina. Its just supply, demand, cost of real estate, etc...Why would a hotel room cost the same amount of money if a house costs twice as much money from one place to another?

A Vegas suite is another animal compared to a hotel room.

Anyhow, most of the time the happy medium (for me) is a choice property. They're quiet enough that I don't hear my neighbors, clean and comfortable enough beds, etc...

On Hunting trips I've stayed in rooming houses with Oil Rig workers, shared bathrooms, but my dog was allowed in the room with me (cleaner than the roughnecks, the Landlady said.) A nice trip with my wife we'll look for a good deal on a nice hotel in a good location...A trip where access to my car and a quick move out (hunting or fishing) a motel room has its benefits.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:05 AM

1,102 posts, read 492,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
The conference I'm going to is actually LATE March (Wednesday 3/28 through Saturday 3/31, although I'm getting in on Tuesday 3/27). This period DOES cover Good Friday, but really, is there some special attraction of Indianapolis for Easter?!!

I put in the actual dates that I would need, and that's how I got the $400/night price (actually, it was slightly more than that, and did NOT include the 17% tax rate!). So the conference hotel rate of $164 plus the 17% is actually looking pretty good ... although still insane to me. There are SO many other things I would rather spend my money on than a $200/night place to sleep.
Just for fun I went to their website to get rate quotes. I'm seeing $259/night for March 27 - March 31 (under the "standard rates" tab). The most expensive option is $309. Are you still seeing $400 somewhere?

Old 12-05-2017, 09:32 AM

5,967 posts, read 2,905,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I didn't find hotels to be expensive in Japan.
Same, Japan isn't too bad for hotel costs. We usually pay about $100 for a good location in Tokyo, and about $80 in other cities like Kyoto and Osaka. The majority of those come with the designated hotel sleeping clothes, which is great for embarrassing the wife by wearing it down to breakfast like many of the other guests do.

Japan gets an unfair bad rep for both hotel and food costs, neither of which is too bad.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:23 AM

9,256 posts, read 8,327,423 times
Honestly OP it is a lot of different factors.

The first one is supply and demand. Peak hotel convention times are September-early November and January through April. Industry wide, 70% of hotel revenue comes from convention/business travel not leisure travel.

That same hotel room in is probably $89 in July.

Also, places where real estate and taxes are very expensive equal very expensive hotel rooms. Think Maui, NYC, Boston, etc.

On the tourism side of things, Christmas week at Disney, Superbowl cities, Mardi Gras, etc will skyrocket hotel prices.

If you can plan your trip to the UK and Europe over shoulder season (the time between peak season and off season), you will experience less sticker shock.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-05-2017, 11:01 AM

5,721 posts, read 4,630,949 times
I refuse to pay those big hotel prices in major cities I will use AirBnB, get a rental car and get a room outside of the city, whatever it takes. They aren't price gouging me.

Generally you have to understand it's supply and demand in downtown districts the hotels will usually be higher from Mon. -Fri. or Sun - Thurs.

On the weekend they will be higher if there's a large event or convention or something e.g. a sold out Taylor Swift concert in an arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Same, Japan isn't too bad for hotel costs. We usually pay about $100 for a good location in Tokyo, and about $80 in other cities like Kyoto and Osaka. The majority of those come with the designated hotel sleeping clothes, which is great for embarrassing the wife by wearing it down to breakfast like many of the other guests do.

Japan gets an unfair bad rep for both hotel and food costs, neither of which is too bad.
Oh man..I'm not married but that's so on my bucket list for when I am someday lol. I am planning a trip to Tokyo but it won't be until late 2018 or 2019 most likely.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 12-05-2017 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or