U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2017, 08:34 PM

11,435 posts, read 6,403,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
The only place I can live comfortably for two weeks on $400 is home.
In a country like Peru it's easy to do so. That comes out to $28 a day. A hostel is between $7-10/night, so that still leaves you with $20 to do what you want. Food is very cheap and drinks are cheap too if you're into partying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 09:32 AM

9,193 posts, read 9,271,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
C'mon, at $100,000 a year ($70,000 after taxes, $200 a day), $400 a night is double what you make. Even at $300-500K a year, $400 a night is a decision you have to weigh carefully, but you can afford a week a year at that price. When you're not a broke college student, you'll have a more realistic idea of how much money you need to live at various levels of consumption.
I'm on your side here. Too many people are willing to say "well if the business is paying for it...."

I think $400 a night is outrageous whether a business or an individual is paying. One of the reason these hotel rates are artificially high is because of this very attitude. Let's say "Jo Schmoe" goes on business trip and his company reimburses for hotel and meals at an exorbitant rate. The hotels catch on and raise their prices during periods when they expect business travelers. Joe Schmoe lives in 2000 square foot home and he drives a 10 year old Toyota. He and his wife consider "luxury" buying steak instead of hamburger on Friday nights. So, for the three days Joe is on his business trip he is treated like a king. The other 362 days a year, he scrapes by. I think what Joe would really like is a cheap hotel room and to be given the rest of the money his employer spends on these business trips as a pay increase or a bonus. For the employer, it would be a wash and the employer would be happy to give Joe this money if they could send Joe on such trips without spending a fortune.

These costs are one reason why wages have been so stagnant in this country. Employers are paying for health insurance, benefits, and business trips. That doesn't mean the employee is seeing any tangible improvement in his income.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:52 AM

2,875 posts, read 1,403,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Maybe I am completely naive, but I was astonished at this. I guess business travelers pay this (since their corporations are actually paying)? That's the only thing I can think of as I try to understand how anyone in their right mind would spend $400/night on a place to SLEEP. And yes, I know I keep saying that, but seriously, for me that's all a hotel room IS -- a place to sleep. OK, I might watch a bit of ESPN on TV before falling asleep (especially if my favorite team is playing), but otherwise, I will mostly be OUT of the hotel room during the day.

Am I nuts to think that I should be able to get a decent room -- I mean, seriously, a place to SLEEP -- for, say, $150/night?!!

there are many of us who think of a hotel as more than a place to sleep.

We went to Paris for our anniversary trip. we wanted a 5 star hotel. I wanted to look out the window and see the Eiffel tower, I wanted the soft Turkish towels, the steam shower, the tv in the bathroom mirror. I wanted luxury. so I paid to get what I wanted.

I'm a luxury traveler. If I have to stay in a motel I'm not going. If I have to park my own car, I'm not going.

It's no different than people not understanding how someone could pay 5,000 for a louie Vuitton bag. They like the bag and they have the means to do so

it's very simple.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
!

Luxury to me is a place like Motel 6, or the older motels, with their aisle balconies, where I can leave my room, have a beer and a smoke. A private balcony is even more of a luxury!

some thing is horribly wrong and the world has gone off it's axis if I ever stay in a motel. I'd rather get caught in the hotel fire.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:06 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,158,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Joe Schmoe lives in 2000 square foot home and he drives a 10 year old Toyota. He and his wife consider "luxury" buying steak instead of hamburger on Friday nights...
Who are you, Donald Trump? I live in a 2000 square foot home. It is a luxurious home in one of the country's most expensive zip codes. Nobody, unless they have a large family, needs a bigger one.

Only in America...

Old 12-19-2017, 05:28 AM

3,288 posts, read 6,107,201 times
You have to be a FOOL to pay $400 a night for a room, let alone $200-$300 a night. Even though the perks and convenience are nice, the only way I'd stay in a room like that is if it's paid for by someone else. Otherwise, I'll drive the distance to amenities and use my money on souvenirs, among other things.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
You have to be a FOOL to pay $400 a night for a room, let alone $200-$300 a night. Even though the perks and convenience are nice, the only way I'd stay in a room like that is if it's paid for by someone else. Otherwise, I'll drive the distance to amenities and use my money on souvenirs, among other things.
lol, well there are a lot of wealthy folks who do it every day and if that is what is called being a fool, where can I sign up?

actually I think it's foolish to spend my hard earned vacation time in a car and traffic. If I go to a theme park the last thing I want to do is get on the bus or in a car before I can even have fun.

When I go to a beach resort, I don't want to wake up and have to drive (mostly likely in a crap load of traffic) to get to the beach. Yes I will pay the premium to look out my balcony at the ocean, to walk out my door and be on the beach. To leave my hotel and walk to Epcot. All those are worth my money.

Personally I don't need more junk and I'm not going on vacation to live in a place that is worst than my house.

To each his own.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:47 AM

4,492 posts, read 2,880,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, well there are a lot of wealthy folks who do it every day and if that is what is called being a fool, where can I sign up?

actually I think it's foolish to spend my hard earned vacation time in a car and traffic. If I go to a theme park the last thing I want to do is get on the bus or in a car before I can even have fun.

When I go to a beach resort, I don't want to wake up and have to drive (mostly likely in a crap load of traffic) to get to the beach. Yes I will pay the premium to look out my balcony at the ocean, to walk out my door and be on the beach. To leave my hotel and walk to Epcot. All those are worth my money.

Personally I don't need more junk and I'm not going on vacation to live in a place that is worst than my house.

To each his own.
I don't delve into the scale of $100 vs. $500, but I have "sucked it up" and paid an extra $75 per night just to have a room in the same hotel that's hosting a convention. While saving the $75 a night isn't trivial, it wouldn't be bank breaking either, and being able to just take an elevator up into your room at 2am to catch some Z's, as opposed to going to your car, leaving the parking garage (if you pay for it, that's more time there), and then adding another 10 to 20 minutes to get back was nice. In the latter case, I would ensure I'm up to driving back, but folks do indeed pay for such conveniences.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:15 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,025,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriganStark View Post
Reasons like that is why the U.S should adopt some capsule hotels:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_hotel
You couldn't even PAY ME to stay in one of those, since I'm extremely claustrophobic. Even looking at the photos makes me anxious.

Honestly, I'd rather sleep in my car... at least there's some room to move around, and I can open the windows if it gets stuffy.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:19 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,025,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
some thing is horribly wrong and the world has gone off it's axis if I ever stay in a motel. I'd rather get caught in the hotel fire.
Well, that's rather snooty. So if you were traveling cross-country, and the ONLY options along the way were motels, you'd rather - what? Sleep in your car? That can't be any better.

I used to be a snob too, until I grew up and had to start paying for things myself. Now I'm happy as long as it's relatively clean, has its own bathroom, and a working television... anything beyond that is gravy, and I'm not paying extra for it on purpose. Must be nice to have the ability to WASTE money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or