U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 09:22 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,065,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Who are you, Donald Trump? I live in a 2000 square foot home. It is a luxurious home in one of the country's most expensive zip codes. Nobody, unless they have a large family, needs a bigger one.

Only in America...
I know, right? I was thinking "wow, 2000sf? That's huge!" I currently live in a place that's around 750sf, and it's plenty of room for me & my pets. Might be different if I had a family, but even families around here are happy with 1200sf or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 11:03 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,595,504 times
You'll pay several hundred dollars to stay at full service hotels in major centers like NYC, London, Tokyo. I always preferred to go cheap on the hotel in order to travel overseas when I was young & solo since I figured I'm asleep virtually the entire time & I didn't have much money for travel & wanted to see the world anyway: hostels, B&Bs, 1 star hotels. Every place I worked booked economical hotels like Hilton Garden Inns.

Now that I'm much older I may book a 4 star for the first couple of days of a trip especially if it is a long flight, & perhaps a day or two also at the end, the rest of the time I will book mid level hotels/serviced apartments in non-touristy neighborhoods. Someday I might book an entire short vacation based entirely on the luxury of the resort/hotel just to experience that, but it will be a special event.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:19 AM

3,668 posts, read 3,528,068 times
When I visited Disney World many years ago, I stayed in Disney property in Orlando. I didnt want the haggles of finding a cheaper place in Orlando-then look for Public Transport or Renting Cars. Holiday means Holiday sometimes. I was happy with the Disney tags on luggage being transfered straight to Room, Disney shuttles from Airport to Hotel and various parks. Sometimes I think that it was more economical to do it that way.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:25 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,410,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, that's rather snooty. So if you were traveling cross-country, and the ONLY options along the way were motels, you'd rather - what? Sleep in your car? That can't be any better.

I used to be a snob too, until I grew up and had to start paying for things myself. Now I'm happy as long as it's relatively clean, has its own bathroom, and a working television... anything beyond that is gravy, and I'm not paying extra for it on purpose. Must be nice to have the ability to WASTE money.
no not snooty at all. people have different levels and different taste. what you consider waste, I consider well spent. and yes it is nice to have options but I pay the piper for those options in the form of 60 hour work weeks, high stress and making sacrifices. Now that I've raised my kids and getting older I'm more interested in enjoying life as opposed to scrimping.

If I'm traveling cross country I'm flying, it's that simple. once again my time is more valuable than money so I'm not spending 3 weeks to go from nyc to la in a car.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 12-21-2017 at 06:35 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 06:32 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,410,797 times
Quote:
I know, right? I was thinking "wow, 2000sf? That's huge!" I currently live in a place that's around 750sf, and it's plenty of room for me & my pets. Might be different if I had a family, but even families around here are happy with 1200sf or so.
lol, I live in Philadelphia. this is the house that sold last summer behind me
https://www.redfin.com/PA/Philadelph.../home/37990020

4500 sq foot and it's a townhome. actually quite common.

a friend of mines home
https://www.redfin.com/PA/Philadelph...operty-details

3400 sq feet.

now of course we're all getting older so we are downsizing but many people like large homes.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:18 AM

96 posts, read 70,263 times
You may want to check VRBO or AB&B if you don't need many "amenities" but still expect clean and safe.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:41 AM

4,507 posts, read 2,889,309 times
Quote:
You couldn't even PAY ME to stay in one of those, since I'm extremely claustrophobic. Even looking at the photos makes me anxious.

Honestly, I'd rather sleep in my car... at least there's some room to move around, and I can open the windows if it gets stuffy.
That night I got a $350 hotel room... I tried sleeping in my car, but I just couldn't. Just couldn't "get comfy" Deep down, I'm also afraid it may set a precedent!
There, it's nice they have a privacy curtain, but not being able to eat in them? OK if there are eateries nearby, but I'm used to having that option in all the places I've stayed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

a friend of mines home

3400 sq feet.

now of course we're all getting older so we are downsizing but many people like large homes.
I've met folks who lived in places where the property/real estate taxes alone are what others pay for their rents and mortgages. Perhaps a few utilities thrown in for good measure. For those places, it can be anywhere from 50% or close to what they pay for such yearly costs.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:09 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,170,148 times
Quote:

a friend of mines home

3400 sq feet.

$1.2 million in that part of Philadelphia? Wow, times have changed. I used to stop walking at Spring Garden for safety reasons.

I remember looking at a house in Queen Village, about that size, and they wanted $75,000. That was only 20 years ago! I should have bought it.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:

a friend of mines home

3400 sq feet.

Yeah, my mother is from Bala Cynwyd (and I was born in Maryland) - so I'm aware of what's normal there, but it's quite different from what's normal here in the Bay Area! Something that size in San Francisco, or even San Jose, would go for like $6-10M easily.

And despite my current state of poorness, I was actually raised "upper-class," and we lived in a 4000sf+ 1901-built San Francisco (Peninsula) Victorian. It was gorgeous and I'm blessed to have been raised there, but that was also before the real estate market went insane. My parents paid around $500K for the home in 1983, and today it's valued at around $5-6M. So as I said, even wealthy families here are lucky to get 2000sf these days.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-22-2017 at 06:40 PM..

Old 12-22-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
no not snooty at all. people have different levels and different taste. what you consider waste, I consider well spent. and yes it is nice to have options but I pay the piper for those options in the form of 60 hour work weeks, high stress and making sacrifices. Now that I've raised my kids and getting older I'm more interested in enjoying life as opposed to scrimping.

If I'm traveling cross country I'm flying, it's that simple. once again my time is more valuable than money so I'm not spending 3 weeks to go from nyc to la in a car.
I guess our perspectives are flip-flopped, since I was raised with money, and enjoyed many luxuries - including world travel and staying in 5-star hotels, often paid for by my father's company (a corporate perk). Then things changed dramatically with my parents' divorce when I was 20; followed by mother's financial issues, and now my father's rapidly progressing Alzheimer's. I had to grow up VERY fast, learn to support myself, and reevaluate what's important in my life. Now I'm happy with much less, and as far as motels/hotels go, I'd rather save $$ and skip the fancy stuff. To be honest, when my dad & step-mom put me up in expensive hotels on family vacations, I always feel a bit uncomfortable and nervous that I'll mess it up. Give me a clean bed, TV, and bathroom, and that's all I need.

For the record, though, I wasn't saying I'm opposed to people spending their money on fancy hotels... in fact, earlier in the thread I explained (to the OP) why some people DO want to spend that money. I was only responding to your adamant "I'D RATHER DIE" attitude about motels, when even my spoiled step-mother will stay in a Motel 6 if that's the only option. Your attitude is almost like someone with PTSD from a bad motel experience.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-22-2017 at 07:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or