U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 07:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,757 posts, read 54,390,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
It's supply & demand. You can pay $350 a night in Montana during summer rates at some not that great hotels.
Yes, all hotels need to be full or pay people to do nothing. Thatís why our conference in Las Vegas is in April after spring break, conference rate this year was $79 at the Venetian. Today itís $254,
$309 in March, over $400 during the big CES show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 07:27 PM

7,958 posts, read 9,699,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

Maybe I am completely naive, but I was astonished at this. I guess business travelers pay this (since their corporations are actually paying)? That's the only thing I can think of as I try to understand how anyone in their right mind would spend $400/night on a place to SLEEP. And yes, I know I keep saying that, but seriously, for me that's all a hotel room IS -- a place to sleep. OK, I might watch a bit of ESPN on TV before falling asleep (especially if my favorite team is playing), but otherwise, I will mostly be OUT of the hotel room during the day.
So you feel that your values are the same values that everyone else should have, and you can't fathom that someone else might value something else more than you? Are you truly that self-centered?

Old 11-30-2017, 07:49 PM

9 posts, read 10,858 times
Reasons like that is why the U.S should adopt some capsule hotels:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_hotel

Old 11-30-2017, 07:52 PM

1,008 posts, read 922,529 times
As others said - supply and demand. Myrtle Beach, SC July 4th oceanfront hotels could charge $500 a night. Same room in April is $125. Same room not oceanfront is twice as cheap. Location, location, location.

I also attend a conference in Vegas every year and last year Venetan special rate was $179 but this year $279. I could not afford it but hundreds of people with corporate accounts did stay there.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:22 PM

3,582 posts, read 5,307,643 times
Funny when I go San Diego I always stay at a hotel that is closer to a hostel for $55/night. Great location near CC in the gas lamp district and the place is family owned. Travel budgets are usually tight so I try to save my employer (and the taxpayers) some $. Can’t imagine paying $250+.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:05 PM

378 posts, read 226,392 times
Southern New Hampshire prof, During a heavy convention/business/tourism week just an hour or 2 down I-95 or I-93 to/near Boston, you might be even more shocked what reasonably good hotel rooms cost. Hah, you think Indy's expensive ...

Old 11-30-2017, 10:10 PM

796 posts, read 466,037 times
Quote:
Seriously? No, it doesn't have to be "convenient to the airport" because there are airport shuttles that go between most major cities' downtowns and the airports. So that doesn't seem to explain it, at least not to me.

So $400 for a place that is "clean and safe"? These are all downtown hotels -- cleanliness and safety are pretty much standard for all. So again, why pay $400 for ONE NIGHT for a place to SLEEP? I'm sorry, maybe I am just naive or dense or ornery, but I do not get the value AT ALL of paying $400 for a place to sleep. I mean, I'll be at the conference for 5 days (4 nights), so with tax the cost would be close to $2,000 for a few days for a place to sleep! I'm sorry, but that is mind-boggling to me! I am honestly surprised that anyone would find that reasonable?
I'm not saying $400 is the minimum for being safe and clean and if you like shuttles great. Other people might have different priorities it's that simple.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:34 PM

5,247 posts, read 5,166,992 times
Quote:
Seriously? No, it doesn't have to be "convenient to the airport" because there are airport shuttles that go between most major cities' downtowns and the airports. So that doesn't seem to explain it, at least not to me.

So $400 for a place that is "clean and safe"? These are all downtown hotels -- cleanliness and safety are pretty much standard for all. So again, why pay $400 for ONE NIGHT for a place to SLEEP? I'm sorry, maybe I am just naive or dense or ornery, but I do not get the value AT ALL of paying $400 for a place to sleep. I mean, I'll be at the conference for 5 days (4 nights), so with tax the cost would be close to $2,000 for a few days for a place to sleep! I'm sorry, but that is mind-boggling to me! I am honestly surprised that anyone would find that reasonable?

Safe and clean, yes. Internet access, alas, most hotels charge EXTRA for that (and the $400/night hotel did NOT specify that that was one of its "features," which makes me think that you have to pay extra for that). Parking, nope, most people going to a conference don't use that (and it, too, of course, is an EXTRA cost). Maid service, come on, ALL hotels have that (and some, including the high-end ones, are trying to STOP having that -- they actually make a point of asking you if you really "need" or "want" maid service because, you know, for environmental reasons maybe you SHOULDN'T want fresh towels and linens every day -- they make it sound like you are trying to ruin the environment if you want such things). Van transit to airport, well, ALL metro downtown hotels have that, so again, not a real plus. Prime location? There are dozens of hotels around there, same location, so THAT can't be it.

Complimentary breakfast? No, as far as I could see, the $400/night hotel did NOT include that (it was NOT listed as one of its "features"). I THINK, if I remember correctly, they included a mini-refrigerator in your room (which I DO like, but not, you know, $200+ worth of liking), but no free meals.

Seriously, is $400/night pretty "normal"? It sounds totally insane to me, and I go to conferences typically 1-3 times/year.
What is so hard to fathom? There are plenty of people who would stay at a hotel for $400+/night without any problem---in fact, they might prefer it. I understand it---it doesn't mean that it applies to me. Obviously someone is paying for it.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:39 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,769,883 times
OP must not go on vacation very often. Like ever.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:56 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,154,974 times
As an academic, you might have heard of supply and demand. When demand goes up temporarily, it's hard to build a new hotel just in time (and then tear it down when demand goes down so you aren't maintaining an empty property). So the price rises. I've paid $400 of my own money for a hotel room in London - where do you think I should sleep, under a bridge? - but not in Indiana, which is usually cheap. On the dates you want to go there, however, it appears there is a hotel shortage so it costs a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or