U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 11:49 AM

1,441 posts, read 1,122,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
What “motel” is several hundred a night? Motels are usually like $59 a night. You must mean hotel, not motel.
Nope I mean motel, medium size family owned motel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 01:02 PM

4,426 posts, read 1,648,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Sorry, you can probably tell from the thread title that this is a bit of a rant.

I am a college professor and I usually go to 1-2 academic conferences per year. Usually the conferences negotiate "special" rates for the conference, but for one that I'm going to in late March 2018, it's still close to $200/night after you add in the 17% tax (it's in Indianapolis, which clearly has very high hotel taxes!). The sad thing is, I am coming to realize that that is actually a GOOD price for a hotel room!! (The conference rate is $164/night, but that's a bit over $190/night with the taxes.)

Trying to save a bit of money for my employer, I looked online for hotels close to the conference hotel (which is the J. W. Marriott downtown, not to be confused with about half a dozen OTHER Marriott hotels in the vicinity). The nearest hotel was something like $159/night plus taxes, which was not enough to make me go there since the conference hotel is $164/night. But at first, on a map I saw that the Westin in Indianapolis, just a few minutes' walk from the conference hotel, was $115/night. Yippee!!, I thought. But no, that was clearly an Internet error (and a GIGANTIC one!!). When I went to the hotel's site (the CHEAPEST site for its rooms), I saw that the rooms were actually around $400/NIGHT -- for a place to SLEEP!!

Maybe I am completely naive, but I was astonished at this. I guess business travelers pay this (since their corporations are actually paying)? That's the only thing I can think of as I try to understand how anyone in their right mind would spend $400/night on a place to SLEEP. And yes, I know I keep saying that, but seriously, for me that's all a hotel room IS -- a place to sleep. OK, I might watch a bit of ESPN on TV before falling asleep (especially if my favorite team is playing), but otherwise, I will mostly be OUT of the hotel room during the day.

Am I nuts to think that I should be able to get a decent room -- I mean, seriously, a place to SLEEP -- for, say, $150/night?!!
Running a hotel business can be seriously challenging to make it profitable. The expense, taxes and overhead costs are HUMONGOUS!

The business owners don't get fun out of chasing their customers away by posting high prices - otherwise they won't stay in business.

These owners must rely on financially stable customers who can afford to pay high prices to get the amenities and location these guests prefer. The opportunity window is small to make this cut - otherwise, the business cost and commercial taxes will eat the owners alive.

Last year, I attended a conference in San Francisco and wanted to stay in the same hotel where the conference was held. They charged me $500 a night, plus taxes. And if that's not enough, I paid $100 a night for parking. Attending a three day conference cost was more than a budget trip to Europe.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:30 PM

4,426 posts, read 1,648,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Sorry, you can probably tell from the thread title that this is a bit of a rant.

I am a college professor and I usually go to 1-2 academic conferences per year. Usually the conferences negotiate "special" rates for the conference, but for one that I'm going to in late March 2018, it's still close to $200/night after you add in the 17% tax (it's in Indianapolis, which clearly has very high hotel taxes!). The sad thing is, I am coming to realize that that is actually a GOOD price for a hotel room!! (The conference rate is $164/night, but that's a bit over $190/night with the taxes.)

Trying to save a bit of money for my employer, I looked online for hotels close to the conference hotel (which is the J. W. Marriott downtown, not to be confused with about half a dozen OTHER Marriott hotels in the vicinity). The nearest hotel was something like $159/night plus taxes, which was not enough to make me go there since the conference hotel is $164/night. But at first, on a map I saw that the Westin in Indianapolis, just a few minutes' walk from the conference hotel, was $115/night. Yippee!!, I thought. But no, that was clearly an Internet error (and a GIGANTIC one!!). When I went to the hotel's site (the CHEAPEST site for its rooms), I saw that the rooms were actually around $400/NIGHT -- for a place to SLEEP!!

Maybe I am completely naive, but I was astonished at this. I guess business travelers pay this (since their corporations are actually paying)? That's the only thing I can think of as I try to understand how anyone in their right mind would spend $400/night on a place to SLEEP. And yes, I know I keep saying that, but seriously, for me that's all a hotel room IS -- a place to sleep. OK, I might watch a bit of ESPN on TV before falling asleep (especially if my favorite team is playing), but otherwise, I will mostly be OUT of the hotel room during the day.

Am I nuts to think that I should be able to get a decent room -- I mean, seriously, a place to SLEEP -- for, say, $150/night?!!
Quote:
Running a hotel business can be seriously challenging to make it profitable. The expense, taxes and overhead costs are HUMONGOUS!

The business owners don't get fun out of chasing their customers away by posting high prices - otherwise they won't stay in business.

These owners must rely on financially stable customers who can afford to pay high prices to get the amenities and location these guests prefer. The opportunity window is small to make this cut - otherwise, the business cost and commercial taxes will eat the owners alive.

Last year, I attended a conference in San Francisco and wanted to stay in the same hotel where the conference was held. They charged me $500 a night, plus taxes. And if that's not enough, I paid $100 a night for parking. Attending a three day conference cost was more than a budget trip to Europe.

lol haha .. while we are at it.
I have received an invitation to attend a conference in Hawaii in Feb' 2018.
Just checked the hotel rates where the conference is being held. $1600.00 a night is the starting price at Ritz Carlton.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:29 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,164,700 times
Quote:
$400 a night isnít really that high. Most places under $250 are dumps. Try finding something nice in NYC for under $350.....itís tough. We spent $1100 per night at a beachfront hotel on San Diego last year, but it was worth every penny. Now we are not wealthy, but will spend a little more to stay in a nicer place on vacation.
You gotta be kidding...I rent a house one block from the beach in the best part of San Diego for $3500 per MONTH.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:53 PM

25,062 posts, read 23,951,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Nope I mean motel, medium size family owned motel.
There's one I like that sounds like yours.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:40 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,164,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
lol haha .. while we are at it.
I have received an invitation to attend a conference in Hawaii in Feb' 2018.
Just checked the hotel rates where the conference is being held. $1600.00 a night is the starting price at Ritz Carlton.
If my company thought I was going to book that and bill it to them, they would run me out of town on a rail.

$400 is about the most they will pay. I try to keep hotel costs, including at conferences, to $300 or so.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:37 PM

239 posts, read 129,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I just left a resort in Cancun. It's going for over $700 a night right now. I didn't pay for the room as I used points for it but I have gotte. Used to staying in nicer places which makes it hard to stay in 3 star hotels. But I have more like a 3 star hotel budget lol. So if I'm paying I'm not likely to get a $400 a night room. But I try to do what I can to get rooms that cost a bit more but that I've found a way to not have to pay out of pocket for.
Which resort was this? We are staying at Hyatt Zilara next month which I know can go for well over $600 a night. We booked via hotwire and got it for $340 a night, BUT this of course includes ALL food and drinks, alcohol too so it's definitely more than just a place to sleep. I'd be hard pressed to spend that much on just a room with nothing else included. The closest I've come was around $300 per night to stay at a deluxe resort at Disney World, and that was with a nice discount code too!

Old 01-05-2018, 04:04 PM

17,270 posts, read 19,560,434 times
If I wanted to splurge, then I would stay at the Mandarin Oriental hotel in New York City. Quite a view.

But I think it costs more than $400 per night. Pretty sure it does.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:05 PM

10,995 posts, read 10,207,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If I wanted to splurge, then I would stay at the Mandarin Oriental hotel in New York City. Quite a view.

But I think it costs more than $400 per night. Pretty sure it does.
My wife and I stayed there for our anniversary weekend, maybe 10 years ago. It was about $1000 a night.

We only live 16 miles away, but staying there really made us feel like we were away.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:42 AM

5,959 posts, read 2,900,287 times
Quote:
Try finding something nice in NYC for under $350.....itís tough.
I guess "nice" is relative but we've found that right around $200 /night opens up tons of options in NYC that have good locations and good reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or