U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 04:24 PM

4,338 posts, read 2,266,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
A guy I know gladly pays this. And then will do it again for dinner. I know this, because he once got drunk at dinner in San Francisco and emailed me from the expensive hotel, telling me what a buffoon I was for not enjoying the finer things in life.

I don't know about you, but personally I can think of many other things I'd like to do with $800 than spend it on one meal and one nights sleep. I don't even mind sleeping in my car.

For many years I worked a job which required travel (this was up until last year). We stayed in all kinds of places, from expensive to small inns to EconoLodge. I can tell you that every single expensive "name brand" hotel charged at least $10 per night for internet. Per NIGHT. Now I'm sure the boss was not paying the advertised $350/night as they'd get a block of rooms for us, but it wasn't a $60 EconLodge package either. I needed internet for the job I was doing so I'd have to pay to get it turned on than submit it for reimbursement which would take a couple more weeks to get. Not fun when you're broke.

At the expensive hotels I had graduation parties that went on all night and required multiple phone calls to security to get them to shut up. They then offered to move me - gee why don't you move the people who won't stop making noise? They seem to be drunk - can I suggest the pool? Doors slam all night and you better hope you're not near the damn ice machine.

I had 2 others that had issues with the shower - one wouldn't work at all, one didn't have hot water. The sink did but not the shower. Yes they will fix it - but when you are leaving the room at 5am it doesn't much matter.

OTOH every single "cheap" place I've stayed at for work and personal use in the the past 10 years has had free WiFi. There isn't typically a hallway so you don't have the foot traffic. The ice machine is usually in some out of the way place. And I never had a shower issue either. Sure, they aren't as fancy. But it's just a place to sleep.

My preference is Super 8.
I think staying in a high end hotel is a lot like wearing an expensive watch - people like how it looks on them and that is what they are paying for - not value. The worst part is when they want $175/night for a crappy place. Try getting a hotel in Silicon Valley during the week or NYC or even the Fl Keys - crappy places - expensive rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 05:31 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,163,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
No, it doesn't.

Next weekend, even the very upscale Sofitel costs less than $200 a night in central Washington DC. The Grand Hyatt costs less than $150.
Washington's always cheap on weekends, but on a busy weekday the Sofitel or comparable properties can cost $500.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:37 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,163,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Another snarky comment: I hate people who just show up at their conference session and bail right after they're done. You get to benefit from others' comments but you don't reciprocate throughout the whole 2-4 days?
When I was working full-time, I often had to give a presentation at a conference between two other meetings or other required activities, or just before getting on an airplane. Sometimes an employer sends an employee to a conference for two to four whole days; more often, not.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:27 PM

7,683 posts, read 16,109,576 times
Our preferred London hotel is the Staybridge Suites over by the Olympic Park- yeah a slightly longer Tube ride for most things, but you can get a proper 1 bedroom apartment with full kitchen, internet and buffet breakfast included for about $200 USD much of the year. Location is an elevator ride down from Tube station (Zone 2/3) and lots of restaurants and a Mark's & Spencer.

Unless there's a Big Event in the Olympic Park. A few weeks after we were there last summer, those one bedrooms were going for about $450/might because the World Track & Field Championships were a short walk away.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:45 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,039,938 times
My father and his wife often spend that much, but that's because they can - and she has very expensive tastes, lol. I personally think it's insane too, but also recognize what you get for that money. Occasionally I'll join them on a trip (they pay), and have stayed at places like The Four Seasons, which easily goes for that much per night. What you get is a SUPER comfortable bed, luxurious/soft bedding, top-of-the-line technology (tv, wifi, etc), "butler" services, full room service with GOOD food, dry-cleaning to your room, and much more.

Now compare that to where I normally stay, Motel 6: Hard, uncomfortable beds with itchy sheets, questionable cleaning standards, no room service, thin walls, rude staff, no mini-fridge or microwave etc, and if you even get to park for free you're lucky. But I'm okay with that for a few nights, quite frankly because it's all I can afford on my own dime. So yeah, I can see this from both sides of the coin.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:46 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,935,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
When I was working full-time, I often had to give a presentation at a conference between two other meetings or other required activities, or just before getting on an airplane. Sometimes an employer sends an employee to a conference for two to four whole days; more often, not.
I was talking about academic conferences, where people don't really come to hear you speak (unless you're a big star) -- people are a sounding board for your work-in-progress i.e. they tell you what they think you should do next, what's wrong with your research, give suggestions, etc. I'm not saying I attend every session (although I probably would if the conference was held in Indy haha) but I feel bad for some Saturday afternoon presenters who get an empty room because everyone's out on the town.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:53 PM

11,712 posts, read 6,293,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Complementary breakfast, internet access, maid service, safe and clean, secure parking, van transit to airport, prime location. You could probably find a cheap motel that had none of these, but not a hotel.
Interestingly enough, I've seen cheap hotels be more likely to offer all of that (with the possible exception of prime location, but even this isn't a given) as part of your booking fee. And the more expensive the hotel, the less likely it is to offer complementary breakfast, free internet access outside of the lobby, and free parking.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:13 PM

878 posts, read 470,375 times
More than $100 a night makes me cringe, but not as much as staying at Motel 6 level motels. I stick with the middle ground of $70 - $120 places, depending on city. I don't think your average working stiff stays at the Westin. That's for corporate accounts, special occasion events for the richie rich.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:07 PM

5,237 posts, read 8,409,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
That's falls right in March Madness. Indiana is a big basketball state and there will probably be some games in Indy.
Nope.
According to NCAA's schedule at March Madness 2018 dates and schedule | NCAA.com no games in Indy at all.

Last 2 games in March are in Boston and San Antonio

Old 12-01-2017, 09:36 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Washington's always cheap on weekends, but on a busy weekday the Sofitel or comparable properties can cost $500.
+1

I was going to say the exact same thing. I lived in DC for 22 years and put lots of people up in hotels. Usually friends and family came on the weekends, and I would get great rates for them. But if they came during the week, price was double+. DC does all of their business during the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or