U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2017, 06:09 PM

3,725 posts, read 2,205,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Itís because you are in such proximity to NYC that you donít feel the need to stay there. Thousands of tourists a day pay the high prices because its NYC. From a tourism perspective there is a lot more value staying near the action than say in Newark.
That is part of the reason for sure - even on a trip home, I won't stop within 5 hours or so. My exh once stopped in New York for the night and then decided we needed lunch in Danbury of all places - an hour from home. (and he picked Taco Bell so it wasn't like we couldn't have found that near home!)

I do know a ton of people who WILL go for weekends in NYC or Boston, from my same area. But to me it's not worth it. I'll do a day trip if I need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 06:55 PM

11,278 posts, read 8,448,832 times
Marriot charges for breakfast (they serve all meals at their restaurant) and I think they charge for internet, too.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:25 PM

2,585 posts, read 3,734,184 times
Personally I'd only pay that much on a splurge trip. Maybe in one of those bungalows out in the flats of French Polynesia or a stay at a safari lodge in Africa(although I'm sure $400/night is on the low end for these if even that).

I travel a lot for work and it seems to me that the average business hotels hover around the $200/night+/-$50 range around the world. Some of the ones in top tier cities(NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, etc) may be higher.

For personal travel I usually book through AirBnB although I have built up a significant amount of loyalty points since I last had the opportunity to take a decent vacation. Those bungalows in French Polynesia are starting to look more within reach.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:06 AM

1,807 posts, read 811,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I've stayed in cheap motels & pricey hotels & now that we are retired, if we are staying overnight I will go for a cheap motel, all we need is a bed & a shower room. We do not spend much time in the toom, so why pay more? The beds & linens have been fine.
Most of the time I only go to hotel to sleep. But lower end hotels use low-quality mattresses that are breaking apart. I can't fall asleep. The other consideration is noise level.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:18 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,278,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Most of the time I only go to hotel to sleep. But lower end hotels use low-quality mattresses that are breaking apart. I can't fall asleep. The other consideration is noise level.
yes, but the alternative of hotels with horrible matresses are not $400 a night hotels. There are many less expensive hotels which have good matresses. Same for noise level.

Outside prime locations in NYC, London and a very limited number of cities, $200 is more than enough to guarantee a high quality hotel most of the time, often lot less than that.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:11 AM

13,410 posts, read 6,719,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Complementary breakfast, internet access, maid service, safe and clean, secure parking, van transit to airport, prime location. You could probably find a cheap motel that had none of these, but not a hotel.
There are plenty of hotels like that for far less than $400.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:11 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,589,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, I am generally pretty shocked at what some public universities will allow their academics and administrators to spend on hotel rooms for conferences. One of my acquaintances would always stay at the Four Seasons in Chicago for $285 a night as opposed to the Chicago Marriott at $145. And this was happening at a time when the university was cutting staff and eliminating programs.
Well they have to spend all that money rolling in from the tuition, books, dorm fees, and license income they receive not counting the money coming in from their alumni. I find it amusing that a college professor whining about a $400.00 night stay on a probable worthless trip after burying their students in debt for the next 20 years without a second thought.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:35 AM

3,725 posts, read 2,205,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
It takes me at least 2 nights to acclimate to a new place, even when housesitting in a house I've been at for years. So those one or two-nighters for work were always brutal and it didn't matter how good the mattress was. A week in the same place would be fine after the first few days.

If I'm exhausted I can sleep on a rock slab - in 2-3 hour increments lol

Old 12-03-2017, 08:16 AM

4,329 posts, read 887,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I haven't had a hotel charge extra for internet in years! Even most motels have free internet now.
Exactly. I travel from Florida to Montana twice a year (snowbird) and have yet to find a hotel/motel that charges for internet.

Interesting observation.

The further south and the further east I go, the cheaper the motels are.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:13 AM

7,686 posts, read 16,121,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Well they have to spend all that money rolling in from the tuition, books, dorm fees, and license income they receive not counting the money coming in from their alumni. I find it amusing that a college professor whining about a $400.00 night stay on a probable worthless trip after burying their students in debt for the next 20 years without a second thought.
Blame the current student debt situation on your own unwillingness and the unwillingness of state legislatures to fund public higher education as funding has gone from covering 70&+ of the cost of instruction around 2000 to covering barely 30% of the cost of instruction these days.

At the public college where I used to work, it pretty much took VP approval or outside grant funding to go above $150/night for a hotel for work trips. And unless there was a specific conference hotel with 'good' negotiated rate, you were expected to keep it at the Hampton Inn/Holiday Inn Express/Courtyard level of properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or