Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 08:14 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Maybe this is one of the reasons why I prefer to travel internationally.

Many good hotels I can stay overseas for decent prices, cheaper than even something like Best Western or Travelodge in the U.S.

Hotels can be a significant part of the travel budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 08:31 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I guess "nice" is relative but we've found that right around $200 /night opens up tons of options in NYC that have good locations and good reviews.
Look in Financial District on a weekend. You will find good hotels near subways for under $200.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:42 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I've been considering different summer vacation plans, and would like to tell the rest of the thread that the Hampton Inn-Jackson Hole summer room rate seems to be $377+ tax.

Thinking that the limited service properties in Moab going for $200+ a night might not be so overpriced after all. (Our baseline is no camping, and hotel must have interior corridors so cheap options are limited there)

Old 01-08-2018, 11:16 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If I wanted to splurge, then I would stay at the Mandarin Oriental hotel in New York City. Quite a view.

But I think it costs more than $400 per night. Pretty sure it does.
LOL, my version of Heaven is the Mandarin Oriental in Paris. It's coming in at 1,000 a night.

They have an apartment you can rent for 17K a night. There's a lot of wealth out there guys.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:18 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
Try staying in an Airbnb. It's way nicer than a hotel and very affordable. And there are hosts who specialize in business travel.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:59 AM

715 posts, read 1,073,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Maybe this is one of the reasons why I prefer to travel internationally.

Many good hotels I can stay overseas for decent prices, cheaper than even something like Best Western or Travelodge in the U.S.

Hotels can be a significant part of the travel budget.
Same.

I’ve gone to places like San Antonio and Saint Louis very recently and couldn’t believe the price of hotels there. I couldn’t be flexible in my stay or location on either trip, so that was a factor, but all I could remember thinking was how it was so much cheaper staying overseas or Mexico for similar accommodations or better.

One thing about overseas hotels that I like is that many will give you a discounted rate when you’re a single occupant. That doesn’t happen in the US.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:58 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
I have, but only as a last resort.
Once in Manhattan and once in Amsterdam.

The other time in was in Colombia and Mexico and they were rooms high end All Inculsive Resorts which was worth it in both cases.

I try to not spent that much on hotel rooms when possible.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:20 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Same.

I’ve gone to places like San Antonio and Saint Louis very recently and couldn’t believe the price of hotels there. I couldn’t be flexible in my stay or location on either trip, so that was a factor, but all I could remember thinking was how it was so much cheaper staying overseas or Mexico for similar accommodations or better.

One thing about overseas hotels that I like is that many will give you a discounted rate when you’re a single occupant. That doesn’t happen in the US.
Yup.

And you get way more value for your room than you would for the same price in the US.

Only reasonable priced rooms in many US cities close to the action are dumps like Motel 6.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:37 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Am I nuts to think that I should be able to get a decent room -- I mean, seriously, a place to SLEEP -- for, say, $150/night?!!

I don't think so. In Japan you can usually get a single room which is about five feet wide with a single bed. A clean comfortable bed where you are not going to have sex or share it with someone.

Some of us would rather have the money than a 300 sq ft room for hundreds of dollars.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:36 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,994 times
Because sometimes you are paying for the whole experience and not treating it as a bed and shower like at a Days Inn. If I could stay at the Waldorf Astoria, or the Chateau Marmont, or another historic bucket list hotel, getting pampered and tipping everyone, it would be awesome. And I am WAY cheap when it comes to hotels normally, IF it's just for a shower and a place to crash. Part of all of this is the EXPERIENCE, especially in a conference in a new place. Get out there with your colleagues and enjoy. A conference (and I've done many) is just that, an experience. It's not the same as driving until you're tired and finding a cheap $35 room at 2 AM.
Stayed midweek at a upgraded room at the Bellagio once......closest I came to a $400 room. The fact that I remember it a decade later and remember the incredible bed and even more incredible tub, and that I don't miss the $400 from 10 years ago, made it all worth it.
OP, you're a college professor. It's nice that you have frugal tastes and that will serve you well, but for conferences and professional outings, it sounds like you need to step it up and "stay and spend" on places and things more befitting your edjamakashun and position. Hopefully you don't also dress in jeans and t-shirts to teach in, just because suits and jackets and ties "are a waste of money."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel