Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:26 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,739,562 times

Advertisements

I feel like I've posted this before in a previous year...

But anyways, I was supposed to do an Ireland/Portugal trip this month and due to work commitments it ain't happening. Which kinda sucks because I did a 3 week trip to Europe last December so I know what it's like going there in a cooler month. It was a fun trip, I just really wanted to return to Portugal while it was still a little warm (to check out the Algarve region) and I feel that after this month it won't be.

Anywho, now my destination is totally up in the air. I should probably try to book something by early November though. I plan to be off from Dec6-Jan1 so I could travel that whole time or for any time in between. I will be using my Chase points to fund the flight and approximately half of the accommodations.

I am really totally open as to where to go so I don't mind any/all suggestions at this point. I just don't want to spend the 'entire' vacation somewhere it'll be very cold. I'd love to be somewhere where the temps get to at least 65ish F during the day, at least in one of the cities. Since I'll likely be gone for over 2 weeks I may do between 2-4 cities and am not opposed to these cities being in different countries.

I went to Kauai/Oahu a few months ago so not looking to return there FYI.

Just looking for any/all suggestions at this point and am really totally open right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:38 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,286 times
We went to Amsterdam and the German Christmas markets one year in December and it was awesome! It was chilly but not unbearable and minimal crowds. I'd highly recommend it!

Old 10-06-2017, 10:20 AM

986 posts, read 1,016,703 times
I've also been to Christmas markets in Germany, France and Ireland and loved them. For more bearable weather, maybe try Sicily, Malta or southern Spain. I also really like Athens for a 3 day stint. In the U.S., southern California, Arizona, or San Antonio would be nice options. I've also been to New Orleans that time of year and had a lot of fun.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:29 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,104 times
Vietnam or Thailand.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:31 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,858 times
I was in Portugal in early January 2 years ago, and, although it was rainy, the weather otherwise was fantastic.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
NZ is very nice in Dec!

Old 10-06-2017, 03:50 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Sicily also gets my vote. You can tour the island, it is beautiful. Tour groups like Grand circle do the tour of the island, you could copy the itinerary.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
I've also been to Christmas markets in Germany, France and Ireland and loved them. For more bearable weather, maybe try Sicily, Malta or southern Spain. I also really like Athens for a 3 day stint. In the U.S., southern California, Arizona, or San Antonio would be nice options. I've also been to New Orleans that time of year and had a lot of fun.
Christmas markets are great (do Switzerland too, lots of handmade toys) Toymaker shops are very fun to visit the week before Christmas, Maybe U can get a job painting toy soldiers or castles!

San Antonio / Hill Country is very nice in Dec if u like night parades
, and lighted up towns, + Riverwalk (Lots of free entertainment.)
Hill Country Christmas Lighting Trail
https://www.tripsavvy.com/texas-hill...-trail-1656925

for USA '65F+ trip' you could easily do a weekend each in: New Orl, San Antonio, Tucson, San Diego. These are on economy routes for SWA. (They had a $29 fare sale last week so I grabbed 20+ flights). Las Vegas is a cheap hub as well, and serves San Diego and San Antonio. If in Las Vegas... I Like Valley of FIRE. (sunrise and sunset pics) GREAT camping!!! (when full you can boondock on adjacent BLM land. I do it in my rental cars ($5 > $15 in LAS) )
https://www.google.com/search?q=vall...RE State Park]

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-06-2017 at 10:40 PM..

Old 10-07-2017, 01:11 AM

417 posts, read 444,843 times
Thailand would be my first choice. Sri Lanka or Ecuador would also be great places to visit that time of year.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:41 AM

Remember what happens in Thailand during December!

I had 3 factories get flooded and needed to hire divers to go rescue my 2-6 ton $300,000+(each) tools. Then it took a couple yrs to find and develop new manufacturing spots on higher ground (or at least out of the Delta!). Meanwhile Dec returns annually and Thailand has got hit several times... (head north, stay on high ground).

Thailand is great (if you want to be there)

I like it, not all do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel