Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 09:43 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times

Advertisements

TSA questioned me about some Metamucil powder in a zipper bag. Not a liquid, not a medication, just something odd.
I suppose you could put any kind of pill in a labelled bottle and they might not check to see if that's what it was. I'd rather not get caught.

And they ALWAYS open my checked bags because I have pliers and other tools inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 11:49 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
TSA questioned me about some Metamucil powder in a zipper bag. Not a liquid, not a medication, just something odd.
I suppose you could put any kind of pill in a labelled bottle and they might not check to see if that's what it was. I'd rather not get caught.

And they ALWAYS open my checked bags because I have pliers and other tools inside.
I gotta ask: Why do you have pliers and tools in your luggage? (I hope you're going to say something about your job.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i only take one script pill in its blister pack. all the rest are supplements. now the supplements (cinnamon, coconut oil, multivit, antioxidants, OTC antihistamines, magnesium), do they need to be in their original containers?
Take the Rx in it's original bottle.

Leave the supplements home. It's not gonna kill you to skip a week or two. (it's not just to avoid the possible TSA hassle. The things take up space and add weight.) OTC antihistamines? If you're taking those things on a regular basis, you're gonna have bigger problems than TSA; consult your physician.

And if you REALLY feel like you have to have that OTC/Supplement stuff, buy it when you get there.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:13 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
What about prescriptions that are in a different person's name? Is that a problem with the TSA?
The TSA doesn't really care, outside the fluid restrictions and the issues regarding insulin/injectibles. I've never had the TSA look at anything except fluid cough medicine (in the Rx bottle). Customs (both US and foreign) cares.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:16 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
i only take one script pill in its blister pack. all the rest are supplements. now the supplements (cinnamon, coconut oil, multivit, antioxidants, OTC antihistamines, magnesium), do they need to be in their original containers?
Why would you take them out of their original containers? If you buy OTC in large quantities, buy smaller sizes and keep the containers. If its an RX drug and you get them in large containers, like through mail order, ask the pharmacy to repackage a smaller amount in a labeled container.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:43 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
when TSA states that medications should be clearly labelled, does it mean we can carry supplements/pills in pill boxes with handmade labels? or is it that all medications should be in their original containers? i don't want to get snagged through the check in line just because of my medications. i'll be carrying both prescription pills (in their blister packs anyway) and supplements in my upcoming international travel
I have two asthma meds, one now OTC but the other prescriptions. I pop them in my "clear bag" that I take out for the scanner. They haven't given me trouble yet, the inhaler is in the original package w/prescription tag. The spray is green, and a commercial brand. I've been through airports dozens of times with these to date.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:16 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I have never had any problems with the US of all my pills (including Rx) being out of the original container, BUT you are not supposed to and I wouldn't if traveling internationally.

The supplements I would throw in a plastic bag, and put in my check in luggage. If they get taken no biggie.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-03-2017, 07:59 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Original stock bottles and Rx vials original labels only

Old 12-03-2017, 08:59 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

The supplements I would throw in a plastic bag, and put in my check in luggage. If they get taken no biggie.
Same here.

I buy supplements at Sams Club in large jars. If I have a week's worth of gelcaps in a plastic bag they can have them.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:13 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
when TSA states that medications should be clearly labelled, does it mean we can carry supplements/pills in pill boxes with handmade labels? or is it that all medications should be in their original containers? i don't want to get snagged through the check in line just because of my medications. i'll be carrying both prescription pills (in their blister packs anyway) and supplements in my upcoming international travel
Do make sure your pills are in child-proof caps, not the easy-open type. The EZ open also come off very easily on their own accord. Once I went through TSA, the screener just pointed out my pills had broken open in the bottom of my purse. Oh, ok, thanks...but she didn't count them make sure they matched up, etc, etc.Probably because it was just an in-state flight, and the pills were just Naprosyn--RX strength, not something like pain pills, etc.

I find it best, especially if traveling to a foreign country, to carry OTC pills in their original brand-name bottles. Usually the name of the pill is stamped on each, like Tylenol. If you take vitamins, get a recognized brand, like Centrum, not the generic on sale.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:02 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
What about prescriptions that are in a different person's name? Is that a problem with the TSA?
Can be, sure. Can also be a problem if found during a routine traffic stop. When traveling it's best to have prescription drugs in original bottles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel