U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 01:06 AM

9,253 posts, read 10,904,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I think an exception would be made for children obviously. I'm able to sign and pick up Rx for my kids and wife no problem.
Your name is not on those bottles. Even for minor children. You can pick them up for sure, but the name on the container is whom the prescription is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 04:42 AM

7,328 posts, read 3,035,025 times
Several flights each year and pack the one-week pill boxes. Six pills per compartment.
Times two with the wife. Never an issue. Think someone is over analyzing the TSA intent.
They do sometimes want to look at my flight-approved Swiss Army "knife".

Old 12-04-2017, 05:10 AM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The TSA doesn't really care, outside the fluid restrictions and the issues regarding insulin/injectibles. I've never had the TSA look at anything except fluid cough medicine (in the Rx bottle). Customs (both US and foreign) cares.
But leaving the USA one doesn't go through US Customs so I assume that wouldn't be a problem. As for foreign countries' customs I assume that would vary depending on the country.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:31 AM

15,207 posts, read 8,513,923 times
Unless you consider it life-threatening to skip taking your supplements for a short time while on vacation, just take the (slight) risk and put them in your checked luggage - you'll miss your swimsuit more than your supps if your luggage is lost! Or don't bring them at all if you don't want to keep them in the original containers - seems like a lot of hassle just for some supplements...

Old 12-04-2017, 06:42 AM

7,729 posts, read 18,603,553 times
I also carry one week pill boxes, one for AM and another for PM. I carry a copy of each label in my phone, just in case. Even with one controlled substance, never been questioned.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:46 AM

15,207 posts, read 8,513,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Several flights each year and pack the one-week pill boxes. Six pills per compartment.
Times two with the wife. Never an issue. Think someone is over analyzing the TSA intent.
They do sometimes want to look at my flight-approved Swiss Army "knife".
It's likely one of those things like an expired sticker on your license plate...maybe no one cares in your hometown but if "they" are looking for a reason to get you on something then you've just provided the reason for a more thorough examination. So that may end up being a bigger issue depending on where you travel.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:45 AM

15,067 posts, read 18,997,066 times
For those who carry their drugs in 7 day or plastic bags who have never had a problem - eventually, you might. DH was stopped twice in the last 5 years over this issue, once domestic, once international. Luckily, he also had the bottles and, in the international situation, they literally matched the pills in the 7 day container to the ones in the original bottle!

With the opioid crisis in this country, I believe you're going to see more strict searches related to Rd drugs. Why even take the chance?

Old 12-04-2017, 07:50 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,124,638 times
Post No limit on pills. Any liquid, gel, aerosol medications in carry-on should be declared

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I suppose you could put any kind of pill in a labelled bottle and they might not check to see if that's what it was. I'd rather not get caught.
TSA's role isn't to enforce DEA rules, officially TSA says that they're not going out of their way to look closely at prescription pills carried by passengers, but if they happen to discover something unlawful (including locally-legal marijuana) in the process of looking for actual threats to aviation, they will refer it to law enforcement.

In reality, some TSA staff think they are cops and go out of their to try to bust passengers for drugs, even though this is officially discouraged by the TSA, the DEA has been known to pay off individual TSA agents to assist in drug enforcement activities.

See https://www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-ti...tions-answered and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ebivKv4dI

Old 12-04-2017, 10:35 AM

31,622 posts, read 19,947,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
For those who carry their drugs in 7 day or plastic bags who have never had a problem - eventually, you might. DH was stopped twice in the last 5 years over this issue, once domestic, once international. Luckily, he also had the bottles and, in the international situation, they literally matched the pills in the 7 day container to the ones in the original bottle!

With the opioid crisis in this country, I believe you're going to see more strict searches related to Rd drugs. Why even take the chance?
That's a really good point. I will change how I carry mine.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 12-04-2017, 05:00 PM

9,425 posts, read 7,076,026 times
I used to carry a box of Goody's powders in my bag.. I guess things shifted after I packed and about 10 of them came out and there was some leakage.. I opened the bag up to take something out that had to go through.. Tablet or something of that nature.. And there was a nice coating of white powder on everything.

Nothing bad.. But the TSA, and this was in New Hampshire if I recall correctly, was very confused. Apparently Goody's Powders are not all that common/widely used up there. It did get me sent through the "use a swab to check for explosives" thing, tho. Or, maybe I was already scheduled for that. Think I was on a one-way ticket that time.. It's been 15 years ago now..

The guy was even asking me.. "Why is it a powder like that"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or