Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 05:04 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times

Advertisements

I’ve traveled a decent amount domestically and internationally, and half the time I forget to pack meds separately and just leave them in my carryon. No one has ever said anything about any meds, prescription or not, no matter how they were packed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 05:04 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Keep all medications in their original package. I would bring a copy of your prescription/letter from your doctor as well. You should check and see what medications you're allowed to bring into another country. Many countries have a lot of restrictions on medications. I'd leave the supplements home.
Having been stopped TWICE by authorities over Rx drugs, I admit I'm a bit more cautious when traveling. Some might even say paranoid. We've travelled extensively, domestically and internationally. Only once did I get a letter: When we went to Dubai and I have a Rx for antidepressants.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I’ve traveled a decent amount domestically and internationally, and half the time I forget to pack meds separately and just leave them in my carryon. No one has ever said anything about any meds, prescription or not, no matter how they were packed.
So you've been lucky. As has been said in prior posts, travel within the U.S. state/federal laws apply and those are pretty clear about prescription drugs, especially narcotics and how they must be transported.
When it comes to international travel it all depends on the country you are entering and their rules AND how U.S. customs feels on the day you return to the U.S. and "if" they for some reason want to hassle you. I know people who've been hassled by U.S. customs on return, even from a weekend trip to Canada. I personally have been hassled when driving across country with a friend and we were stopped at a border crossing checkpoint on I-40 because they didn't like our "look".

Why open oneself to scrutiny and potential delay while they figure things out and/or legal issues? Why not just play it safe, use the strictest rules as your guide and have a no issue trip.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:21 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Doesn't matter. There's still laws about traveling from state to state with prescription medications. There's even more regulation when flying internationally. No one wants to be stuck in a Chinese jail for 10 years over their Lipitor!
Show me a citation one law anywhere that says it's illegal to travel from state to state with any Rx not on the DEA controlled substance list. Just one. You can't just make stuff up. There is no such law at the Federal or any state level.

For international travel, all the common Rx drugs are trivially identifiable. Here's an iPhone application that does it: ID My Pill for iPhone : Snap a photo of your pills, identify them instantly. Any customs official in the world has been trained in this.

China isn't going to toss you in jail for having a 1-week daily pill container of common Rx drugs. An opiate or an amphetamine? Sure. Original bottle and a copy of the Rx. Lipitor? You're once again making stuff up that isn't reality.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:22 AM

714 posts, read 721,063 times
I take methimazole for hyperthyroidism and I always keep an old bottle and take only what I will need on the trip, plus a few extras. I'm just waiting for some TSA a-hole to decide I'm "carrying meth". LOL.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:00 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
I have read all this before and all I do is put my supplements in snack size baggies and put them in my luggage. I have never had even a hint of an issue doing this inside the US or traveling internationally. Now in my case, it's just supplements, NOT prescription meds. I figure the worst thing that could happen is they take them away from me and I can buy new vitamins when I get to my destination.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I had somebody send me a rep point and asked "Always prescription drugs stay in original bottles but what about is someone asks you to bring their prescriptions to you and they are temporarily out of the country?"

I guess it's up to you if you want to take a chance but just my opinion, not a great idea. Depending on the country some prescriptions are more controlled than others. And just to make a point, there are some meds that are over the counter in some countries but considered highly controlled in others.
If someone is out of country and needs their prescription, then they need to go to a doctor where they are and show them the prescription. It's illegal to mail drugs that aren't yours. It's illegal to mail many drugs to many countries as well. ALL mail goes through customs. Totally not worth the risk!

Old 12-05-2017, 01:10 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Show me a citation one law anywhere that says it's illegal to travel from state to state with any Rx not on the DEA controlled substance list. Just one. You can't just make stuff up. There is no such law at the Federal or any state level.

For international travel, all the common Rx drugs are trivially identifiable. Here's an iPhone application that does it: ID My Pill for iPhone : Snap a photo of your pills, identify them instantly. Any customs official in the world has been trained in this.

China isn't going to toss you in jail for having a 1-week daily pill container of common Rx drugs. An opiate or an amphetamine? Sure. Original bottle and a copy of the Rx. Lipitor? You're once again making stuff up that isn't reality.
Where did I say it was illegal to "travel from state to state with any Rx not on the DEA controlled substance list"? I never said such a thing! I said there's laws regarding interstate travel with medications.

The China Lipitor comment was a joke! Go on down to your local Walmart and buy yourself a sense of humor! You seriously need one.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:23 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,230,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Leave the supplements home. It's not gonna kill you to skip a week or two. (it's not just to avoid the possible TSA hassle. The things take up space and add weight.) OTC antihistamines? If you're taking those things on a regular basis, you're gonna have bigger problems than TSA; consult your physician.

And if you REALLY feel like you have to have that OTC/Supplement stuff, buy it when you get there.
It may not kill you but your body may get sick from not having it. And saying just buy the stuff when you are there may not be so easy to do.
Not a realistic answer to give someone.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:08 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
It may not kill you but your body may get sick from not having it. And saying just buy the stuff when you are there may not be so easy to do.
Not a realistic answer to give someone.
Off topic, I know. But I'd like to hear about any supplement that would make somebody get sick if they don't have it for a week or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel