U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:44 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,630,949 times

Advertisements

The last time I flew international to Latin America I had about a weeks worth of nutritional supplements and vitamins in a zip lock bag. They didn't give me any problem but I have a feeling if it's something you do every time eventually they will. It's possible it depends on the airport too. I did not come back into the U.S. with any naturally... I would imagine that looks very suspicious especially coming from latin america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 05:06 AM

32,112 posts, read 33,023,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
It's illegal to have a prescription in someone else's name. If that person isn't traveling with you, then you are a red flag waiting to happen.
Even if it is an immediate family member that you are bringing their prescription medication to? Can you provide a link please?

Old 12-20-2017, 12:47 AM

4,453 posts, read 1,693,092 times
When I flew to Manila, I was carrying a year's supply of Rx, re-sorted into a half a dozen more efficient containers. I went through customs in Japan and Guam. Nobody said a thing.

I travel light, carryon only, and Ive flown into and out of 40 countries in the past four years, with pills never in their wastefully bulky original containers. Nobody sad a thing, not even Dubai. The Americans paid no attention, either -- I don't think Ive ever been inspected by US customs.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:51 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,560,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
When I flew to Manila, I was carrying a year's supply of Rx, re-sorted into a half a dozen more efficient containers. I went through customs in Japan and Guam. Nobody said a thing.

I travel light, carryon only, and Ive flown into and out of 40 countries in the past four years, with pills never in their wastefully bulky original containers. Nobody sad a thing, not even Dubai. The Americans paid no attention, either -- I don't think Ive ever been inspected by US customs.
But evidently they "could" which means you're okay until you're not. All it takes is once to ruin your day. So, "do you feel lucky today? Well, do you?"... (quote from Harry Callahan)

Old 12-20-2017, 03:29 PM

3,281 posts, read 3,136,749 times
Post For purely domestic travel, TSA (subject of the thread) does not limit pill quantity or packaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
But evidently they "could" which means you're okay until you're not. All it takes is once to ruin your day. So, "do you feel lucky today? Well, do you?"... (quote from Harry Callahan)
When traveling outside the USA or crossing the US border then Customs could trip you up.

For purely domestic travel, TSA (subject of the thread) does not care; there are no TSA rules forbidding pills in any quantity or container. The biggest risk of carrying pills through TSA security is that screeners will steal them (google will show a long list of TSA agents convicted for stealing medication from passengers' carry-on bags).

Old 12-21-2017, 12:51 AM

4,453 posts, read 1,693,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

The OP's question is about TSA hassles, not criminal arrests. There is no limit to the number of pretexts for which you can be hassled by the TSA, the DEA, the FBI, the ICE, or any other dick with a badge. If you never do, you're lucky.

On the ground in the USA, you can be arrested and prosecuted if you slip a blood pressure pill or antibiotic in your pocket to take later on when you go out for the day. How lucky do you feel? Even going outside your home with one of those 7-day plastic pill planners is against the law in the USA, unless you also carry a sheaf of all the paper Rx on your person for each drug.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:51 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,560,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
The OP's question is about TSA hassles, not criminal arrests. There is no limit to the number of pretexts for which you can be hassled by the TSA, the DEA, the FBI, the ICE, or any other dick with a badge. If you never do, you're lucky.

On the ground in the USA, you can be arrested and prosecuted if you slip a blood pressure pill or antibiotic in your pocket to take later on when you go out for the day. How lucky do you feel? Even going outside your home with one of those 7-day plastic pill planners is against the law in the USA, unless you also carry a sheaf of all the paper Rx on your person for each drug.
You realize the TSA has direct communication with all the agencies you list right? You are aware the TSA is one of the "first line of defense" (even though they're pretty inept) right? They report things they see and flag people for the alphabet soup agencies to investigate.
Those on here haven't heard of the people busted due to TSA gate check information but given the millions that go through the check points weekly I'd bet there are some that've been passed on for carrying pills since as you say above it's illegal to carry pills not in their original container.

I carry a few narcotic pills on me everywhere I go in a pocket pill carrier and while I've never been hassled about it even though cops have seen them several times there's always the first time that I run into a cop that's a prick or having a bad day.

Thankfully I can easily prove they're legally mine but still...

Old 12-21-2017, 11:59 AM

2,661 posts, read 1,555,959 times
I always put mine in a pill sorter unless it’s cough meds or a narcotic/controlled substance. Then I carry them in their labeled container and have never had any issues.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:44 PM

287 posts, read 781,552 times
I carry all of my pills in a plastic bag. Never had any problems with either domestic and international travel. I used one of those pill sorters at one point but what a pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or