U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 05:00 AM

32,079 posts, read 32,980,395 times

Advertisements

Since I spend part of my childhood and young adulthood overseas mainly due to my father's jobs, there are still places that I would like to visit within the USA. But having said that there are still many international destinations that I am interested although currently I don't have the finances for any non-local travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 09:36 AM

1,514 posts, read 681,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I'm beginning to feel that way. US citizen here and I've fallen in love with Europe, the UK to be more specific. All my current travel interests are countries in Europe, Canada, Asia, Israel, or South America in the near future. The downside is that it's so expensive to travel abroad and that hinders where I can visit and how long I'll can stay.

Here at home, I've been to every state except Hawaii (I consider that traveling abroad), many of them SEVERAL times a year. Due to my work, almost all of my travel is business related. I usually live in 2-3 states per year and I drive so I've see a lot of places in a lot of states.

There are only a few cities left that I'm interested in visiting again: Anchorage, Seattle, Portland, Sante Fe, New Orleans, Miami (will be 1st time), and Bangor Maine (will be 1st time). That's it. I'll probably have visited all of these cities by this time next year, God willing.

Other than that, domestic travel is beginning to bore me but the thought of traveling abroad excites me! But it's so expensive to fly abroad.

Does anyone else feel this way? Or, do you still get excited about traveling domestically?
Not bored with US travel here!

There are too many places I haven't visited: Alaska, Kauai, Molokai, Glacier Nat'l Park, Everglades, New Orleans, Wisconsin, Maine & upstate NY.

And many more that I've visited, but too briefly or too long ago: North Carolina, Pennsylvania, NYC, Vermont, New Hampshire, Chicago, Minnesota, Yellowstone, Idaho, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Big Island...

And others that I could visit over and over but never get tired of: Colorado, San Diego, Big Sur, Redwood Nat'l Park, the Oregon coast, the Olympic Peninsula and Seattle.

So, I don't anticipate running out of appealing domestic destinations, ever.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:37 AM

3,436 posts, read 1,532,968 times
Yes, I can say I've seen all I need to in the U.S. Having lived in many varied states, the only areas I'd like to still see are so overcrowded and expensive, it just isn't worth it to me. Like NYC, New Orleans, and Yellowstone.

Agree that airfares are ridiculous compared to foreign travel. Venice to NY is about the same as Denver to Dallas. How does that make sense?

Old 12-06-2017, 11:17 AM

9,377 posts, read 6,261,047 times
On our last two trios to Europe (Switzerland, Italy and France then Germany and Greece) we felt (except for Greece) that everyone we came into contact with wanted our money and not us. We have also traveled the Amazon, South and Central America, Asia and various islands i the Atlantic (Bermuda, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands, Curacao and Aruba)

We decided to spend our money where it is wanted and to help our economy, not another countries.

We spend the vast amount of our time visiting US National Parks.

The only exception has been Canadian National Parks

It is truly amazing how beautiful and different each National and State park can be.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:27 AM

13,910 posts, read 7,405,593 times
My destination choice largely depends on the amount of time I have for the trip. From New England, I want 10 days for a Europe trip and 14+ days for Asia/Oz/NZ. I don't get enough vacation time to do more than one of those per year.

For 2018, the major trip is Lisbon doing the outbound on the BOS-LHR morning flight so I don't have to do an overnight in an economy seat. I do Christmas at my sister's place in Vancouver every year but that kind of doesn't count.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:27 PM

1,187 posts, read 663,894 times
We used to find traveling abroad much more exciting but now we feel somewhat "tripped out" with international travel.

After traveling several weeks in Europe this past year, we plan to stay in the USA next year and visit some beautiful coastal cities and mountain areas closer to home. We enjoy historical locations, as well as scenic areas, and we have this in abundance within a few hours of our home.

I find we are much more relaxed during domestic travel but more stressed while traveling abroad with long plane trips and concerns about illness or accidents abroad.

That said, we have always traveled independently and our next trip abroad might be something along the line of a river cruise with someone else doing the planning.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:45 PM

4,796 posts, read 3,231,718 times
Quote:
I'm beginning to feel that way. US citizen here and I've fallen in love with Europe, the UK to be more specific. All my current travel interests are countries in Europe, Canada, Asia, Israel, or South America in the near future. The downside is that it's so expensive to travel abroad and that hinders where I can visit and how long I'll can stay.

Here at home, I've been to every state except Hawaii (I consider that traveling abroad), many of them SEVERAL times a year. Due to my work, almost all of my travel is business related. I usually live in 2-3 states per year and I drive so I've see a lot of places in a lot of states.

There are only a few cities left that I'm interested in visiting again: Anchorage, Seattle, Portland, Sante Fe, New Orleans, Miami (will be 1st time), and Bangor Maine (will be 1st time). That's it. I'll probably have visited all of these cities by this time next year, God willing.

Other than that, domestic travel is beginning to bore me but the thought of traveling abroad excites me! But it's so expensive to fly abroad.

Does anyone else feel this way? Or, do you still get excited about traveling domestically?
It's actually much cheaper to travel abroad as long as you chose the right places. If you are going to chose to travel to countries that are more expensive then the US especially if you are going to major cities then yes it's more expensive. There is plenty of value in Asia and South America depending on your level of adventure. Last real vacation I took was Thailand a few years ago. Booked well in advance and got a decent deal for about $800 round trip flight. That's not super cheap but once I was there I spent about $50/day including hotel.

But personally, with the situation in the world now I have no interest to travel abroad as an American. Maybe Japan again or Austrailia/New Zealand but that's about it. There are endless places in the US to travel to.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:34 PM

371 posts, read 284,486 times
I'm not completely bored with domestic travel, although it does have much less excitement than travel abroad.
The plane ticket is the only expensive part. Aside from that, my day to day travel expenses are a fraction of what they are here in the U.S.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:49 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,447,491 times
Quote:

Both kind of travel excites me. All travel excites me. I don't do it nearly enough but I try to travel as often as I can (as much as one can with a full-time job).

I live on LI as well.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:02 PM

1,175 posts, read 478,714 times
Love travel both in the US and outside it, especially Europe on the latter. In fact, am unlikely to go other then to Canada, US, and Europe because there’s so much there I want to experience — and my time and finances are finite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or