U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 05:48 PM

1,805 posts, read 807,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
There are endless places in the US to travel to.
Nothing but endless boring places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 05:59 PM

5,845 posts, read 8,606,309 times
For a long time, all my vacations were domestic, and on the east coast. I got really tired of that and in the past 7 years, all my trips have been abroad other than to visit relatives.

Now I want to visit some parts of the US that I haven't seen, like Arizona, Colorado and South Dakota. And maybe take a national parks tour.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:13 PM

5,941 posts, read 2,893,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Nothing but endless boring places.
It's subjective. Every year millions of people take long expensive flights to see things in the USA, they wouldn't be doing it if they felt it was all boring places.

If you want some perspective go to the USA section of the Thorntree travel forums where travelers seek advice for their trips to USA, it's fascinating to see what things excited them and what they loved about USA, people from everywhere China/Japan/Australia/UK/France/Germany/Brazil/etc. are both nervous and thrilled about their upcoming trips and it's fascinating to see the questions/itineraries they have planned and what they're trying to take in during their vacation to USA.

It's easy to take for granted what you have in front of you.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:15 PM

7,738 posts, read 9,030,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I'm beginning to feel that way. US citizen here and I've fallen in love with Europe, the UK to be more specific. All my current travel interests are countries in Europe, Canada, Asia, Israel, or South America in the near future. The downside is that it's so expensive to travel abroad and that hinders where I can visit and how long I'll can stay.

Here at home, I've been to every state except Hawaii (I consider that traveling abroad), many of them SEVERAL times a year. Due to my work, almost all of my travel is business related. I usually live in 2-3 states per year and I drive so I've see a lot of places in a lot of states.

There are only a few cities left that I'm interested in visiting again: Anchorage, Seattle, Portland, Sante Fe, New Orleans, Miami (will be 1st time), and Bangor Maine (will be 1st time). That's it. I'll probably have visited all of these cities by this time next year, God willing.

Other than that, domestic travel is beginning to bore me but the thought of traveling abroad excites me! But it's so expensive to fly abroad.

Does anyone else feel this way? Or, do you still get excited about traveling domestically?
I've been on a kick where I want to travel abroad and so have been saving for that. Not to say I don't like US travel as there are some incredible places here, but I have the urge to travel abroad at this point .

Old 12-06-2017, 11:12 PM

13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Traveling abroad is much cheaper than traveling to the 48 States. I live in Hawaii. I travel about two times to East Coast and two times to East Asia every year. It takes me between 10-15 hours no matter I fly east or west.

Airfare has dropped drastically for foreign travel. I just paid $570 for a trip to East Asia while I paid over $800 to NYC just before this trip.

I have been to 40+ States and been to almost every National Park. I usually don't stay long in the cities because except a few, most American cities are basically the same.
Been to London recently? Or Switzerland?

Old 12-06-2017, 11:38 PM

1,805 posts, read 807,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Been to London recently? Or Switzerland?
ha, even Los Cabos can be quite expensive these days.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,372,591 times
Actually travel abroad is cheaper than traveling in America. Any country in the western world will be expensive. You either go 3rd world or you pay for it.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:57 AM

1,836 posts, read 4,458,960 times
In all honesty, I'm the opposite at this point. I did a fair bit of international travel and loved every second of it. Fortunately, I got to do it before the world became a hot mess with political correctness, terrorism, double standards, airport/airline ridiculousness and immigration problems. England isn't England anymore. No country I've visited is the same. I'm content to be finished with traveling abroad anymore.

As much as the U.S. has changed in all these same ways, too, I'd rather travel within the U.S. from now on just for the sheer convenience of it. Also, no more planes for me either. I love driving.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:01 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,429,313 times
I don't see it's a binary. It's big country/big world. I'm fortunate enough to travel both.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:41 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,438,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Nope, I appreciate both.

I've been to all 50 states, held residence in more than a third of them and used to perpetually think the grass is greener elsewhere. I'm not sure what Exactly knocked that stupid thought from my head, but I started focusing on traveling more in my local area. Looking for the "off the beaten path" places and Suddenly started discovering gems that captivated me.

I am completely bored with urban areas though and try to avoid them.

So I do both. I get outside the US about once every other year for a month, and I travel within the US the rest of the time. Next year I'm doing a 6~8 week driving tour, the main goal is to drive the PCH, but there's plenty to do and see between GA and CA/WA/OR.
The PNW sounds good and I'll have that covered when I go to Portland & Seattle again. The last time I was there, not just the airport, was 20 yrs ago. I've been to the smaller cities in WA but their memory is just a blur to me with the exception of Bellingham, WA. Really loved it because it was so different with its quirkiness. As for cities in Oregon, I'd like to add Eugene to my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or