U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 04:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,696 posts, read 40,074,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
To a point I agree, but airfare can still be horrendous. Once you get there it's not so bad price wise.
What would be a horrendous airfare? $400+

You can get most places in the world (except NZ and AU) for that price range. (sale dates) Normal rates can be ~$800, but those are ez to beat. Africa and some parts of South America can be in the $1500 range. That is really not so bad for 12 hr flights to less that popular destinations.

I was paying $400 for most my USA flights during the 1970's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 04:25 PM

4,037 posts, read 3,276,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Nope, I appreciate both.

I've been to all 50 states, held residence in more than a third of them and used to perpetually think the grass is greener elsewhere. I'm not sure what Exactly knocked that stupid thought from my head, but I started focusing on traveling more in my local area. Looking for the "off the beaten path" places and Suddenly started discovering gems that captivated me.

I am completely bored with urban areas though and try to avoid them.

So I do both. I get outside the US about once every other year for a month, and I travel within the US the rest of the time. Next year I'm doing a 6~8 week driving tour, the main goal is to drive the PCH, but there's plenty to do and see between GA and CA/WA/OR.
Sounds like my dad. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I wander when I can, too.

My dad had residences in MA, CA, MI, CT, WV, FL, and that's what I recall. Me: MI, CA, WA, MA, CT so far.

There is so much to see on rural roads, I don't know where to be begin. California has the most spectacular rural roads, as does Appalachia up around the Blue Ridge. Oregon is no slouch, either, west of Cascades all the way south. WA, not bad, I like Oregon roads better though.

Last trip with my dad by car before he passed: we drove Detroit to upstate NY, and I suggested we take some byways (crossing Canada is the fastest way, but dull dull DULL). I had my Garmin 60CSX, being "lost" wasn't an option. Lo and behold, we came across an old aircraft plant that was mostly abandoned. Funny thing is I don't remember if it was Chance-Vought, Curtis, Douglas, or what. One of those WWII names you'd know. We should have stopped and taken photos, but did not outside the main lot. Nor could I, or would I want to, find it again necessarily. Just an oddball thing, part of "Americana" that is so precious to many of us.

My dad said that rarest of things for a well-seasoned 79 yo who had crossed the US maybe a hundred times in his life, by car: "Huh: never seen THAT before! Good call, son, on the rural route!"

I'm going to do the same, in maybe ten years. I'll be on a BMW motorcycle, however. Indian Chief, if I'm feeling nostalgic. There is so much to see in the U.S., dunno even where to start other than to re-do thousands of miles of roads in WA, OR, and CA. That's years of exploring alone.

Next choice would be same in South Africa. Did that a few times already by BMW, to say that there is bizarre stuff to see there (from our perspective) is a wild understatement, I dunno where to even start and I've never been east of Port Elizabeth. You could spend months, years, exploring West and East Cape Provinces alone.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:28 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,443,900 times
Default Elusive cheap flights to Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Expensive to travel abroad?

I have found Only food is more expensive abroad.

Really cheap flights available to many destinations, (<$500) and once there you can use their discount carriers. I got a $300 fare SFO>Tokyo using the weekly bargain emails that come every Wednesday from carriers . But several great deals <$380 to Europe. We did 30+ flights within Europe, never over 80 euro, often under 20 euro.

We end up eating via fresh produce and farmers markets.

Costco has good rates on euro rental cars. But I may ship my own motorcycle, and buy a camper van at my destination.

Lodging is inexpensive worldwide for us (guest exchange) been doing it for 30 yrs. over 100 stays each of last 2 yrs. we were gone for a yr and only used 8 hotels. ( 5am flights).

We most enjoy staying with, and traveling like locals.
Stealth,

A flight less than $500? That's a dream come true for me. I keep hearing about these cheap flights abroad but it's like finding Bigfoot. The eyewitnesses seem like nice enough people but there's never any tangible evidence that it exists. On what sites have do you find these deals? You can DM if you prefer.

I plan to go to Prague for the Quadrennial in 2019. I wonder if could get in a trip to London or Edinburgh for a few days in 2018 inexpensively?

Old 12-07-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Not bored with US travel here!

There are too many places I haven't visited: Alaska, Kauai, Molokai, Glacier Nat'l Park, Everglades, New Orleans, Wisconsin, Maine & upstate NY.

And many more that I've visited, but too briefly or too long ago: North Carolina, Pennsylvania, NYC, Vermont, New Hampshire, Chicago, Minnesota, Yellowstone, Idaho, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Big Island...

And others that I could visit over and over but never get tired of: Colorado, San Diego, Big Sur, Redwood Nat'l Park, the Oregon coast, the Olympic Peninsula and Seattle.

So, I don't anticipate running out of appealing domestic destinations, ever.
Interesting when I look at your list. I had many of the same domestic travel interests as you have. I never get tired of Colorado, was there last Christmas and plan to return this Christmas season. From your list, within the last 1-2 years, I've been to:

North Carolina
Pennsylvania
NYC (home so it doesn't count although I'm currently working out of state)
Upstate NY
Vermont
Chicago
New Mexico

Old 12-07-2017, 06:06 PM

Default Finite time and finances here, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Love travel both in the US and outside it, especially Europe on the latter. In fact, am unlikely to go other then to Canada, US, and Europe because there’s so much there I want to experience — and my time and finances are finite.

Same here with finite time and finances. You mentioned Canada, that's a country I'd like to visit more of. Was in Montreal briefly this summer. Would like to go again and spend more time in Montreal at some point this coming summer, 2018. Because of work, my time is limited so I'd like to take a separate trip to Toronto, a city that I've never been to, a little later in the summer. Vancouver and Novia Scotia are on my travel wish-list for some point further along in the calendar.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 12-07-2017 at 06:36 PM..

Old 12-07-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
In all honesty, I'm the opposite at this point. I did a fair bit of international travel and loved every second of it. Fortunately, I got to do it before the world became a hot mess with political correctness, terrorism, double standards, airport/airline ridiculousness and immigration problems. England isn't England anymore. No country I've visited is the same. I'm content to be finished with traveling abroad anymore.

As much as the U.S. has changed in all these same ways, too, I'd rather travel within the U.S. from now on just for the sheer convenience of it. Also, no more planes for me either. I love driving.
Went to England for the first time ever during the summer of 2016 and loved it! Free museums, it's so walkable, the weather was pleasant, streets were clean. I was surprised that it has a very visible Middle Eastern population. I realize that terrorism is a threat everywhere but probably due to my excitement, the threat of terrorism never crossed my mind while there.

Of course, I couldn't help but make mental comparisons between London and NYC. Bottom line is I was impressed with London! From the people, to the West End, to the working class neighborhood I visited, to their subway system (tube), to the traffic, I found that London is a much more civilized place than NYC in every way, except their food which is horrible unless you go to an ethnic restaurant. But that's a thread for another day.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:34 PM

Default Did that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Last trip with my dad by car before he passed: we drove Detroit to upstate NY, and I suggested we take some byways (crossing Canada is the fastest way, but dull dull DULL).
I did that trip a few months ago (work-related) and GPS attempted to take me through Canada to get from Detroit to upstate NY but having never been in that part of Canada, I wasn't feeling adventurous.
I pulled out my atlas and mapped it out the old fashion way. I-80 as far as I could before intersecting with another interstate/highway heading into Buffalo and then further east in NY state.

Good to know that I didn't miss anything scenic wise by not going into Canada to get to my destination.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:39 PM

1,836 posts, read 4,463,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Went to England for the first time ever during the summer of 2016 and loved it! Free museums, it's so walkable, the weather was pleasant, streets were clean. I was surprised that it has a very visible Middle Eastern population. I realize that terrorism is a threat everywhere but probably due to my excitement, the threat of terrorism never crossed my mind while there.

Of course, I couldn't help but make mental comparisons between London and NYC. Bottom line is I was impressed with London! From the people, to the West End, to the working class neighborhood I visited, to their subway system (tube), to the traffic, I found that London is a much more civilized place than NYC in every way, except their food which is horrible unless you go to an ethnic restaurant. But that's a thread for another day.
I'm so glad you got to experience the UK and enjoyed it a lot! All I can say is that it used to be better, in my opinion, when it was decidedly more British. If we could go back in time before all of this recent chaos, I'd move to the UK in a heartbeat.

Upon reflection, there is one more country I'd love to experience - Japan. Especially with a knowledgable, helpful insider. I've been watching some YouTubers in Japan and oh-my-days they go to the most unique, fun and adventurous places! I love the Japanese culture.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:26 AM

7,762 posts, read 9,065,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Actually travel abroad is cheaper than traveling in America. Any country in the western world will be expensive. You either go 3rd world or you pay for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
What would be a horrendous airfare? $400+

You can get most places in the world (except NZ and AU) for that price range. (sale dates) Normal rates can be ~$800, but those are ez to beat. Africa and some parts of South America can be in the $1500 range. That is really not so bad for 12 hr flights to less that popular destinations.

I was paying $400 for most my USA flights during the 1970's
Try over $1k for a lot of places around the world and that's out of a big city and not my smaller metro area.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:45 AM

5,997 posts, read 2,917,428 times
Generally speaking it costs more to fly abroad than in the US, anyone claiming otherwise needs their head checked.

I love the bizarro logic that flying overseas can be cheaper because there are sale dates that lower the prices, which completely ignores that there are also sales dates on domestic airfares that would in turn still be cheaper than flying overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or