U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:48 PM

1,524 posts, read 688,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Southwest out of one of my semi-local airports will often cost more than one of the legacy airlines even after you add bag fees back into the total cost of the legacy ticket.
Yeah, SWA isn't always the lowest-cost option any more, especially if you buy your ticket less than a week or two before traveling. However, the lack of change fees is big... you can alter your plans and not be charged $50! Another plus (depending on the routes you fly, of course) is that SWA tends to have lots of flights on a given route - so if there's a cancellation or something, there'll be another flight for you without a 4 or 5 hour wait.
OTOH, I don't care for the 'no assigned seats' practice... I'd like to be able to choose my seat, so I can sure of getting a window. But other than that, I'm pretty content with SWA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Bored with international and want domestic?

SWA (Flight search WN)

^^^
AND they don't charge for changes!!! (I keep 50+ flights booked at all times (bought during 'Early Bird' sales and I might take them, or maybe not! if not... I have a yr to use the proceeds (no fees).
Very clever, Stealth Rabbit! So how much $$ do you have on deposit in the "Bank of SWA," on average?

Old 12-09-2017, 12:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,029,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
...how much $$ do you have on deposit in the "Bank of SWA," on average?
~ $2k =($40ea. x 50flts)

That is less than 10% of my annual travel budget, and I often get $30 - $50 flts during sales, that would cost me 2-3x MORE on the 14 day advance price. So I am really saving BIG bucks when I actually GO (usually)! (just checked... 58 Trips booked = ~116 flights + the connections (through Aug 8th))

I keep 'income investment view properties' at my favorite USA destinations, so my travel to-and-fro' plus 1/2 my food is deductible (during this season of life). I keep 'cabins / RV sites / shop with apartment at each 'destination'. (as well as a $35 car that uses FREE fuel)... so... when I happen to be in the area... it is a 'free' place to stay. (same at my main home...) lease out 1800SF 'apartment / separate living space'. so... someone is 'home' to mow the grass, blade the snow, feed the dog & cats, water the plants, and shoot the coyotes and robbers. (and enjoy the view). They get a great deal, and so do we! (they get the joint to themselves 80% of the time, and we have a safe / clean / maintained place to return home (should we ever decide to do so). Extra space is REALLY handy when you have eldercare / boomerang kids, ill / destitute / BURNED OUT friends (physically or mentally) (We opened up the joint to fire evacuees last summer)

Will do similar in Europe and Asia and maybe NZ. (create PT 'abode' on the farms of friends). We have great relationships with tenants, so they can use our place whenever they have guests (and we are gone (or home...). We have been hosting international guests for nearly 30 yrs... They know how to use our stuff, and are free to do so ANYTIME!... so we have come home to the fireplace going and fresh tea on the stove!, and a roast or Salmon in the oven!. Now that is a GREAT unexpected treat! friends + warmth + food! How good is that to come home to!

This will totally freak the naysayers here (to actually have someone be in their home unexpected ...)

We consider ALL our stuff as 'gifts' that we are just the 'stewards' of, so... enjoy it! Give it away! Let others use it! Share the enjoyment (and even the cost / repair !!!)

Old 12-09-2017, 03:21 AM

1,528 posts, read 911,315 times
It's great that you've discovered traveling abroad but I can't imagine being bored with traveling in the US. If you're bored with all of the US, you must be bored with life (to paraphrase a well known quote). Or you must be visiting the wrong places and doing the wrong things.

I don't think you can compare the US to any single country in terms of diversity of everything and breadth of things that are truly unique. It's a closer comparison to all of Europe. Maybe you could say China but there is hardly any ethnic diversity in China (92% Han), even if there is great geographic, gastronomic, economic and other areas of diversity in a very dynamic setting. Maybe you could make some argument for India?

Truly well-traveled people don't think like you seem to be thinking. They can discover new places without it being a big catharsis of rejecting their own country. Once you travel more, you'll adopt the mind of a real traveler and be able to appreciate your own country through different eyes and a different mindset.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:36 AM

2,684 posts, read 1,050,322 times
Nope. I've lived in Europe on more than one occasion and couldn't wait to come back home. When you live abroad, rather than simply visit for a short period of time, you start to see the dark side of other cultures. People are people wherever you go, but there is only one home.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:41 AM

1,528 posts, read 911,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I'm so glad you got to experience the UK and enjoyed it a lot! All I can say is that it used to be better, in my opinion, when it was decidedly more British. If we could go back in time before all of this recent chaos, I'd move to the UK in a heartbeat.

Upon reflection, there is one more country I'd love to experience - Japan. Especially with a knowledgable, helpful insider. I've been watching some YouTubers in Japan and oh-my-days they go to the most unique, fun and adventurous places! I love the Japanese culture.
There's no chaos in the UK. In fact, it's probably one of the most orderly places in the world. Nobody jumps the queue. Nobody even talks to each other on the tube or the buses. Very orderly. The UK has always been made up of many ethnic groups largely due to its history as colonial power so I don't really understand where you are going with this 'decidedly more British' thing. Sounds like something the NF would say.

Back to chaos. You mention the 'recent' chaos - you must have missed the 'troubles' with the IRA or forgot about that. You have no idea my friend. No idea.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:58 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,441,984 times
Default None are

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Yeah, SWA isn't always the lowest-cost option any more, especially if you buy your ticket less than a week or two before traveling. However, the lack of change fees is big... you can alter your plans and not be charged $50! Another plus (depending on the routes you fly, of course) is that SWA tends to have lots of flights on a given route - so if there's a cancellation or something, there'll be another flight for you without a 4 or 5 hour wait.
OTOH, I don't care for the 'no assigned seats' practice... I'd like to be able to choose my seat, so I can sure of getting a window. But other than that, I'm pretty content with SWA.
NW4me,

I've never notice any of the airlines having very low cost options for tickets purchased a week or two before traveling. Those are the most expensive tickets it seems to me.

Who still charges only $50 for the change ticket fee? That would be a bargain in this day and age.

Most of them charge $100+ to change the ticket. My go-to airline, American, charges $200 unless you've purchased a refundable ticket which is about 2 or 3 times the regular price of the ticket. I have a trip scheduled within the next week and due to some personal issues, two days ago I attempted to change the ticket to fly to a cheaper destination intead. AA customer service wouldn't budge and wanted to charge me $200 to change the ticket, to be deducted from what I paid for the ticket, apply what was left to the cost of the cheaper ticket. I said no thanks, I'll keep my original scheduled trip.

Surprisingly, SWA's no-assigned seat policy has worked very well for me. I love aisle seats and generally that's what I get.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:36 PM

22 posts, read 14,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Expensive to travel abroad?

I have found Only food is more expensive abroad.

Really cheap flights available to many destinations, (<$500) and once there you can use their discount carriers. I got a $300 fare SFO>Tokyo using the weekly bargain emails that come every Wednesday from carriers . But several great deals <$380 to Europe. We did 30+ flights within Europe, never over 80 euro, often under 20 euro.

We end up eating via fresh produce and farmers markets.

Costco has good rates on euro rental cars. But I may ship my own motorcycle, and buy a camper van at my destination.

Lodging is inexpensive worldwide for us (guest exchange) been doing it for 30 yrs. over 100 stays each of last 2 yrs. we were gone for a yr and only used 8 hotels. ( 5am flights).

We most enjoy staying with, and traveling like locals.
I like the camper van idea. I think I saw a European couple doing that here in the U.S., on youtube. Have you priced shipping it back here when done? Or would you sell it when done? Lately, I've found myself watching many vids about camper vans in Europe and Asia and how much more suited to me than the ones here.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:43 PM

5,968 posts, read 2,907,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
It depends on where you live and what destinations interest you.

If you live in Texas, flights to Cancun are generally affordable except for the high season. Whereas flying to Seattle may cost more.
That's a great point, depending on where you live trips to Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean destiations can be cheaper. However as a general rule if for a given timeframe you want to travel to another place by airplane somewhere domestic will be cheaper.

Even better if you can road-trip it.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
NW4me,

I've never notice any of the airlines having very low cost options for tickets purchased a week or two before traveling. Those are the most expensive tickets it seems to me.

Who still charges only $50 for the change ticket fee? That would be a bargain in this day and age.

Most of them charge $100+ to change the ticket. My go-to airline, American, charges $200 unless you've purchased a refundable ticket which is about 2 or 3 times the regular price of the ticket. I have a trip scheduled within the next week and due to some personal issues, two days ago I attempted to change the ticket to fly to a cheaper destination intead. AA customer service wouldn't budge and wanted to charge me $200 to change the ticket, to be deducted from what I paid for the ticket, apply what was left to the cost of the cheaper ticket. I said no thanks, I'll keep my original scheduled trip.

Surprisingly, SWA's no-assigned seat policy has worked very well for me. I love aisle seats and generally that's what I get.
About advance purchase: in general, I agree with you. However, I've managed to get relatively low fares from SFO to Long Beach without buying my ticket way in advance. The carrier is Jet Blue, of course, and this is probably a bit of a special case... you might not find comparable fares elsewhere even within the Jet Blue system.

About change fees: I've managed to avoid paying one for a long time, so you may be right that they've escalated. The airlines I fly (besides SWA) are Alaska and Jet Blue, once in a while Delta.

About no assigned seating on Southwest: the advantages of SWA certainly outweigh the disadvantages, and I've nearly always managed to get a window seat anyway... but hey, I have to grouse about something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or