Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 04:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've always had the travel bug but not the finances to match.

Then no money, no travel for a long time. Now in retirement, I save each year to go to England, the place I love the most. I have given up on places like China and Japan. Will never have the funds for that. But England--airfare is down, car rental is cheap, can stay at low budget motels or old fashioned English hotels cheap, food is excellent in the pubs or on the motorway at W.H. Smith. We also load up on sandwiches from the grocery store and, if the place we stay offers full English breakfast, that will hold us all day!

I like to stay off the beaten path and I enjoy traveling around in Cornwall, especially on the gorgeous coastline. ...
No longer do I care to visit other places in the US and anyway the airfare is just too expensive. I'd love to stay in Florida during the winter but airfare is high from here and then you have to stay somewhere--cheaper and much more interesting to go to England.
We have had wonderful hosts in UK (for last 30 yrs). The last trip we stayed with a few retired profs who had become authors / travel guides, and they had guest cottages for us. We really had a great time together and learning about their communities and participating in events and community volunteer tasks. Of course the National Heritage pass is the best bargain (Royal Oak if coming from USA). 400+ FREE places to visit. Seldom go into the cities (maybe on a Sunday afternoon). Our Hosts in Cornwall insist they take us Pub hopping to their favorite little communities. We had a family (5 young boys) from Falmouth stay with us in USA about 10 yrs ago, andd they wanted to make sure we got a FULL tour! of their homeland.

There are plenty of $20 / night places in UK (guest homes) and in FL! (We were in 3 FL (coastal) places last week), also lots of FREE places in UK (Servas... since 1947). Probably 50% + of the homes we stay in have completely separate qtrs for us, often a guest cottage, or they just give us the keys to their beach house. Most refuse the $20, but I always give it with instructions to pass it on to someone in need. (I'm not in need of anything except HC for a sick spouse... My $35 car is fine (as it has been for 40 yrs, and for the next 40)). Off to Asia this weekend (Singapore) on a <$800 flt. They really know how to throw a GREAT Christmas in Singapore. Of course you can get Air Asia and Scoot and Tiger flights outta there for <$50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 04:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,049 times
Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Try over $1k for a lot of places around the world and that's out of a big city and not my smaller metro area.
Exactly! Those are the prices flying out of places like NYC or Wash DC. I was warned by a colleague who goes to the UK every summer that the cheapest overseas flight is out of Dulles. So I flew out of Dulles via Icelandic Air. I did everything that you're told to do: flew out of the right city, scoured ticket prices, bought my ticket months in advance, and the "sale" price I purchased my ticket for was about $1,200. If there are cities where you can fly abroad for $500 or less, I sure have had bad luck in finding them to places like London or Edinburgh.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:52 PM

Default I can relate to so many stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
When we vacation in the US we tend to road trip, we got tired of US airlines with their awful service, late flights and ridiculous prices.

Traveling overseas we fly with a big carrier to get there then use smaller airlines (Ryan air, Easy Jet) to get around once there, can't beat a $9.99 flight from London (Stanstead) to Dublin or many other European destinations. and yes they charge extra for baggage but its still a ways short of the $3-400 it costs to fly from our regional airport to Chicago or Detroit, both only an hours flight away.
US Airlines was horrible and United Airlines was as well. Horrible flights as far as the ride, horrible flight attendants, and horrible ticket agents customer service. I once had what should have been a uncomplicated early afternoon flight from Burbank to NYC LaGuardia or JFK, I can't remember which, via a connecting flight at SFO. It became a 24 hour nightmare thanks to US Airways incompetence and horrible customer service. I ended up spending the night in a chair not far from the ticket counter at the airport in San Francisco since US Airways ticket agents grabbed their belongings and bolted out of there like Cinderella trying to beat the clock striking midnight. I said never again will I fly this incompetent airline. I got the same feeling when I flew Spirit Airlines for the first time earlier this year (never again) as I did when I flew US Airways. I wonder if the same misguided souls from US Airways are behind the creation of Spirit Airlines?

Last edited by Klassyhk; 12-08-2017 at 05:17 PM..

Old 12-08-2017, 04:53 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Exactly! Those are the prices flying out of places like NYC or Wash DC. I was warned by a colleague who goes to the UK every summer that the cheapest overseas flight is out of Dulles. So I flew out of Dulles via Icelandic Air. I did everything that you're told to do: flew out of the right city, scoured ticket prices, bought my ticket months in advance, and the "sale" price I purchased my ticket for was about $1,200. If there are cities where you can fly abroad for $500 or less, I sure have had bad luck in finding them to places like London or Edinburgh.
If you do some search, there are plenty of bargain. For example, I randomly choose flying out of Newark to Heathrow with round trip departing on 4/19 and returning on 5/9:
https://www.kayak.com/flights/EWR-LH...t=bestflight_a

The cheapest fare for direct flight is $464 by Air India.

The price is not amazing. Look at this:
https://www.kayak.com/flights/EWR-SI...t=bestflight_a

On the same departure and return date, the round trip ticket from Newark to Singapore by United is only $469.

This is the longest flight in the world. Flight distance is almost 10,000 miles. For such price, you may not even be able to fly one way to Hawaii!

Why travel in US when international airfare is so cheap?

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 12-08-2017 at 05:03 PM..

Old 12-08-2017, 05:10 PM

Default Middle Eastern countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
There are so many international carriers doing excellent deals from USA
some I have never heard of.. but my spouse took one to the German markets and it made the round trip (well under $800)
Icelandic and Iberia have been offering sweet deals.

Check Wego.com for consolidator fares (But I prefer to book direct with the main carriers)

We just get to a Euro Hub and take Ryan or similar from there, often for <20 Euro.

Just avoid weekends (tho Saturday afternoons can have cheap and empty flights)
Thanks for the tip on Wego, I've bookmarked the site. It appears to be basically geared for travel to Middle Eastern countries. I found a flight from JFK to Turkey for $594. Turkey is definitely on my broader travel wish list but it will have to remain on hold for now.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:11 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,741 times
And on the same dates, if you fly from Newark to Honolulu round trip, United charges you $857:
https://www.kayak.com/flights/EWR-HN...t=bestflight_a

In addition, UA charges you on checked baggage and food. But on UA flight to Singapore, you can have free checked baggage and free meal.

Aren't all domestic airlines ripping us off?

Old 12-08-2017, 05:24 PM

Default Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
If you do some search, there are plenty of bargain. For example, I randomly choose flying out of Newark to Heathrow with round trip departing on 4/19 and returning on 5/9:
https://www.kayak.com/flights/EWR-LH...t=bestflight_a

The cheapest fare for direct flight is $464 by Air India.

The price is not amazing. Look at this:
https://www.kayak.com/flights/EWR-SI...t=bestflight_a

On the same departure and return date, the round trip ticket from Newark to Singapore by United is only $469.

This is the longest flight in the world. Flight distance is almost 10,000 miles. For such price, you may not even be able to fly one way to Hawaii!

Why travel in US when international airfare is so cheap?
Thanks! Kayak is one of my go to sites. Those prices were not the same as last year when I was researching to buy my ticket. Following your link, I've just found a NYC - London ticket in Aug. 2018, when I'd possibly have time in my work schedule for a trip abroad, for $694 which is fantastic. Perhaps I can again visit the UK as soon as 2018; that would be nice!

Old 12-08-2017, 05:26 PM

Default SW Airlines is the exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
And on the same dates, if you fly from Newark to Honolulu round trip, United charges you $857:
https://www.kayak.com/flights/EWR-HN...t=bestflight_a

In addition, UA charges you on checked baggage and food. But on UA flight to Singapore, you can have free checked baggage and free meal.

Aren't all domestic airlines ripping us off?
Yes, all except Southwest Airlines. They don't charge to check bags.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Bored with international and want domestic?

SWA (Flight search WN)

Quote:
^^^
AND they don't charge for changes!!! (I keep 50+ flights booked at all times (bought during 'Early Bird' sales and I might take them, or maybe not! if not... I have a yr to use the proceeds (no fees).

They will be adding HI this yr, and do have several international destinations in the Gulf / Central AMER, and... those are cheap to buy ($59 on sale dates from FLL and HOU), but the fees (taxes) for my 'free' companion are very high on their international. (~$40 - $80). I hope they add Canada!

Usually Customer Service is VERY good on SWA (They credited some past flights in 'moments' when I requested yesterday).

The 'points' required for travel SWA are very reasonable (as low as 4,000 one way) and they add up FAST. Tho a 'legacy' member for 30 yrs... and flying 20,000mi trips monthly... my SWA acct (<10 yrs) now has a higher point accumulation.

I really appreciate their boarding process (no assigned seats).
1) get on, find an empty seat, and GO!!!

They turn planes 2x faster than the competition (which has been GREAT for my SWA Stock investments!)

Double winner

Old 12-08-2017, 08:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Southwest out of one of my semi-local airports will often cost more than one of the legacy airlines even after you add bag fees back into the total cost of the legacy ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel