U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 02:34 PM

8,602 posts, read 11,096,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Everyone here is posting seriously amazing places! .

I have never been out of the US, so mine is limited. I'm going to say the Badlands in South Dakota. I had been to that area of the US at all, so I had never seen anything like that before. We are going to Utah next, which I am super excited for lol But we are hoping to go on a safari in Africa in the next 2-3 years (Lots of saving to do)
Utah is great. I'd suggest staying in Kanab, UT. You can hit Bryce, Zion, Escalante and the North Rim all in less than an hour or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 03:02 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,090,775 times
Most recent would be hiking at sunset in Glacier National Park and seeing the sunlight gleam off Heaven's Peak.

Most profound "Aha" moment was on Maui and climbing to the top of a hill on the way toward Hana and seeing 5 waterfalls in the distance against the backdrop of the most lush landscape I'd ever seen, with the ocean on the other side. Breathtaking.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:11 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,715,391 times
Oh gee, remembered another one: seeing breakers rolling in like fire at night on a beach on the Outer Banks in NC on Christmas Eve many years ago as I walked it with a friend. The phosphorescent plankton would sparkle like stars on the sand when the waves hit the beach. Only time I've ever seen it.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:41 PM

25,091 posts, read 23,977,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Sainte-Chappell’s on the Ile de la Cite’ in Paris, France. I sat there for hours, looking at the stained glass as the sunlight moved across.
This was one of my first thoughts. Everyone ahead of me gasped when they finally reached the top of the spiral staircase. I did, too. The windows are magnificent.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:48 PM

1,123 posts, read 591,701 times
I have many, but I'll stick to one in the US. The Grand Canyon!

Old 12-12-2017, 07:25 PM

9,417 posts, read 6,285,185 times
Total Eclipse while in Weider,ID with 5 busloads of astrophysicists. (I am not an astrophysicist, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before I paid for 2 seats on their bus)

The perfect ending to a perfect 50th Anniversary trip

Old 12-12-2017, 07:52 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,756,168 times
If I'm limited to one I would say experiencing the Plitvice Lakes in Croatia. The ability to walk among the cascading terrace lakes constantly changing as the water carves through the karst formations and spills over in multiple falls is sublime. Nature's feng shui. Most of my awe moments are wonders of outdoors.

Plenty of them in the USA one memorable road trip where I got to see multiples was driving I-15 north from Phoenix and then meandered around all the major National parks and monuments over about 10 days on way to Boise, ID. It was like seeing most every old Rand McNally Road Map and Nature Calendar cover. Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Arches, Flaming Gorge, Yellowstone, etc...

There is the issue of timing, because if it is high tourist season some of these places can have the human element detract from the awe experience.

One work trip in late 90s I was in Calgary and drove to Banff / Lake Louise area and simply parked and hiked a late autumn Saturday up the trails beyond Lake Moraine overlooking the emerald green lakes below and it was breathtaking.

I always wonder how people who have grown up and lived close to some of these natural wonders think of them. Do they take them for granted? Or relish and realize how blessed to have them in their 'backyard' so to speak. I imagine if they are big tourist destinations it can wear thin from the annoying trekkers or perhaps they have businesses dependent upon the tourism related to the site.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:28 AM

3,746 posts, read 7,046,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Total Eclipse while in Weider,ID with 5 busloads of astrophysicists. (I am not an astrophysicist, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before I paid for 2 seats on their bus)

The perfect ending to a perfect 50th Anniversary trip
Seeing the most recent full eclipse from, literally, my back porch was truly incredible. Words fail in describing it.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:10 PM

8,602 posts, read 11,096,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
I always wonder how people who have grown up and lived close to some of these natural wonders think of them. Do they take them for granted? Or relish and realize how blessed to have them in their 'backyard' so to speak. I imagine if they are big tourist destinations it can wear thin from the annoying trekkers or perhaps they have businesses dependent upon the tourism related to the site.
Blessed to have them close, then you totally take them for granted.

Grew up in Calgary. Banff was less than an hour from my front door. On the plus side you get to know all the little local spots that, while they may not compare with Moraine Lake directly, are almost as nice, and much less busy.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:43 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,715,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Blessed to have them close, then you totally take them for granted.

Grew up in Calgary. Banff was less than an hour from my front door. On the plus side you get to know all the little local spots that, while they may not compare with Moraine Lake directly, are almost as nice, and much less busy.
I lived in Charlottesville, VA for five years in the 1970s and the locals I hung out with appreciated the beauty of the countryside and the nearby mountains. But every time someone from out of state came to visit, we'd have to do the nearby touristy stuff: Thomas Jefferson's home (Monticello), James Monroe's home (Highlands), University of Virginia, historic Michie Tavern, Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive.

Can't speak for the locals, but every morning I'd walk across the central campus, watch the sunlight stream across the grass, and marvel at how blessed I was to live in such a beautiful place. It never got old for me. But after several visits to the touristy locations like Monticello, I developed a kind of "yeah, been there, done that attitude" toward them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel