U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 12:36 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,852,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Woah there, how is this anyone's fault but your own? You requested that host book you for those dates, airbnb is quite clear when you click the "request" button that you are attempting to reserve and pay for the time frame and if the owner accepts then you have a deal.

How would it be fair to owners if people are able to request to stay in their place for certain dates, they agree to it and those dates black out from other potential renters, but you can just say "nah nevermind" because when you requested those dates you didn't really know when you'd be flying in? I can't imagine how it surprised you, airbnb (not the host, they don't actually get money until your stay starts) is quite clear that by requesting a reservation your card will be charged if the owner accepts.
You were not there.

I told the host my dates were tentative, that I was sure which date I was arriving but not which day I was leaving (a Sunday or Monday). He saw my dates and "preapproved" me (or whatever the terminology is), and asked me to confirm it when I was ready. I had 24 hours to do so. I understood that if I did not, then a charge would not be made. Since it was about 3 months ahead of time I don't think it was such a burden on him to hold those dates for 24 hours! The next thing I knew was that he completed the reservation for me and I received notice that I was charged. I don't think that is a great business practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 06:49 PM

5,959 posts, read 2,900,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
You were not there.

I told the host my dates were tentative, that I was sure which date I was arriving but not which day I was leaving (a Sunday or Monday). He saw my dates and "preapproved" me (or whatever the terminology is), and asked me to confirm it when I was ready. I had 24 hours to do so. I understood that if I did not, then a charge would not be made. Since it was about 3 months ahead of time I don't think it was such a burden on him to hold those dates for 24 hours! The next thing I knew was that he completed the reservation for me and I received notice that I was charged. I don't think that is a great business practice.
Yep, the host can send out an offer for a given price and dates that is good for 24 hours. You have to click the "book it" button, then go through another screen confirming that you are accepting the reservation and will be charged. The host cannot charge you, all the charging happens on airbnb's end when either host or guest accepts a booking request.

I'm not sure what you expected to happen when you click a button that says "book it", other than the reservation being booked, and clicking past the screen that tells you how much you'll be charged.

I've booked dozens of airbnb stays, both with me submitted a request and the owners sending me 24 hour offers after negotiations. Not once has there been any surprise payment, since I know what booking a room means and I click past a confirmation screen.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:32 PM

That's my point: I NEVER clicked a button that said "book it"! Are you some kind of shill for Airbnb? I wasn't ready to book, so I wouldn't have clicked that. So I shouldn't have been charged, yet I was. That sucked! This was my first Airbnb reservation and I was still going through the signing up process. The host was actually helping me complete the process of signing up for Airbnb, yet somehow I was able to contact him and discuss the reservation. And that's another thing I disliked about Airbnb, their communication. They never informed me when my registration was complete. I was having a problem registering and they did not help.

I don't like that you have to sign in through some other platform, like Facebook. Why can't you just sign in directly through Airbnb? In order to register I entered my Facebook login and password through Airbnb's site. I didn't like that, but I guess the joke was on me. They notified me that my Facebook account wasn't active enough and they couldn't use it to verify me, so I had to upload a video of myself saying where I wanted to go and why (or some such nonsense). They said "it can only be seen by Airbnb staff." Now I had never uploaded a video or even taken a video of myself since the days of VHS. I don't have a smartphone. Somehow I figured it out and uploaded it. The host contacted me to say "I saw your video, you're verified." Yet Airbnb told me only their "staff" would be able to see it! I deleted it immediately.

So I deactivated my Facebook account years ago (I have better things to do) but I still have to reactivate it when I want to use Airbnb, which is a pain. People who I don't want to hear from see that I'm back on Facebook and contact me. But due to my optimism, thinking I'd eventually find an Airbnb rental that I liked, I tried it two more times. But now after three bad experiences I probably won't use them anymore.

The hosts were all older than me, but more tech-friendly. I had to explain to them that I have no smartphone, and I can't send or receive texts, or emails from my phone, and I have no technology with me to check email. The only way I can communicate is by voice. That didn't compute with them, they still sent me texts and emails while I was there and wondered why I didn't reply.

Last edited by aries63; 12-16-2017 at 02:41 PM..

Old 12-17-2017, 01:53 PM

4,626 posts, read 1,222,496 times
We are early 50's and did our first Airbnb this summer in New Hampshire. I don't want a room in someone's house so we ended up with a lovely fully appointed apartment over a garage separate from the house. The lovely owner was delightful and everything was perfect. We wanted to do Maine and Boston so the NH coast near Portsmouth was the best location in between. The owner provided great recommendations for food. It was a great first experience for us and I would do it again. It was not one of the cheap ones - $145 nt. But it was much cheaper than Boston hotels and put us 1.5 miles from the ocean beaches in a relatively unpopulated area.

It seems the options are all over the map on Airbnb as far as cost and what you get. Good luck!

Old 12-18-2017, 08:07 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,342,869 times
OP here.
Got a room for over the holidays in the house of a med student in Cleveland (Heights)....down the road from all the hospitals and college. 10 nights, $260 incl. tax total. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:06 AM

121 posts, read 63,813 times
If renting a room, would purchase this. Easy to use extra lock, no need to mount, small size to carry and doesn't leave a mark on door...But will be very loud to try to force door open.

https://www.amazon.com/Calslock-Port...otel+door+lock

Always feel weird eating in stranger's kitchen. So just get takeout if awkward.

Always felt better renting whole apartment or guest cottage. I've had very good personal experiences with Airbnb myself. Really enjoyed it. I'm 40s.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:15 AM

5,372 posts, read 9,868,233 times
My DH and I are post middle age. We've used airbnb more than a dozen times, both here in the U.
S. and overseas.

We've rented rooms and apts. and houses. All went well.

Read the reviews very carefully. Some reveal noise or dissatisfaction with the comfort of the bed(s) etc. Those rentals highly rated seem to be the best.

We really enjoy airbnb and sometimes interact with hosts quite a bit and sometimes not at all, depending on the particular situation.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:17 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,342,869 times
Good points all.
I like dogs, but with coming in later (midnight) throughout my stay I don';t want a dog thinking I'm an intruder and barking and waking everyone up. So I looked for an Airbnb with no dogs.
I'm feeling a lot better about doing this thanks to your posts. Thanks all.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:55 AM

I wish you luck, you might get lucky. I think 10 nights is a long commitment, so you might want to have a Plan B worked out in case you don't like the place. Unfortunately for me I committed to 8 nights at the last place I stayed where I didn't feel safe, and where the host was obnoxious and unreasonably noisy (even during the night) but I put up with it because I didn't know my rights, whether I could have told him I wanted him to find a different place for me, or if there was a way to contact Airbnb to cancel the rest of my stay and book another place. Not having access to the internet made it seem like too much, plus I was very busy attending a workshop the whole time and couldn't take time off from that to find a solution.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Good points all.
I like dogs, but with coming in later (midnight) throughout my stay I don';t want a dog thinking I'm an intruder and barking and waking everyone up. So I looked for an Airbnb with no dogs.
I'm feeling a lot better about doing this thanks to your posts. Thanks all.
Did an Air B&B in Ireland with 5 hunting dogs to chase you around the house nipping and barking all day and all night.

They had the couch too!

wet, stinky, muddy. great

Still picking the dog hairs from my backpack.

People do LUV their dogs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or