U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 10:48 PM

4,670 posts, read 1,229,430 times

Advertisements

Yes. You heard that right. My twin sons who are 26, just out of the military, and going to college. They are as excited as I am and that makes me so happy. My husband has no desire to travel to Europe but I love traveling. We are very close and we have no issues traveling together, however they will share a room and I will have my own. We are not partiers so only the occasional pub visit.

We are staying for a week only and in 3 cities.

I am a bit scared about driving but think I can manage if we are not in too many big cities. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we cannot miss or other travel tips? I am hoping to do the Ring of Kerry and the Killarney National Park. We all love history and exploring.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated because the last time I traveled out of the US was .... 39 years ago.

1 Night - Riu Plaza The Gresham in Dublin
https://www.riu.com/en/hotel/ireland...resham-dublin/

2 Nights - The Malton in Killarney
https://www.themalton.com/

3 Nights - The Ashford Castle in Cong
https://www.ashfordcastle.com/

Last edited by redwood66; 12-13-2017 at 11:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 01:49 PM

2,551 posts, read 1,646,355 times
The tip for driving on the left is keeping the middle of the street/yellow line is always on your side of the car.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:31 PM

7,686 posts, read 16,121,603 times
Also a number of UK and Irish driving schools put very good videos up on Youtube. Last time, we found an awesome one on how to navigate the different types of roundabouts.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:44 PM

Thank you both and I will check that out.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:45 PM

4,457 posts, read 7,221,238 times
It's been a few years, but Ireland was my first out-of-country trip. Driving was odd for the first day, but not bad past that... I thought the Drivers over there were WAY better at it than those found across the US.

Anyway... "national" parks/castles have free days. Looks like it's the first Wednesday of each month: http://heritageireland.ie/media/Free%20Wednesdays.pdf

No idea how OLD that pdf is, so double-check. We got lucky and found out the night before, then rearranged our schedule to get in everything that was close (viking caves, couple of castles/fortified homes).

Killarney National Park was the 2nd best stop for us and I wish we'd had more time there to hike and explore, but had a B&B reservation somewhere north of there. The best stop on our Irish trip, Newgrange just north of Dublin. Still knocks my socks off thinking about something built 5 centuries ago.

We did B&B's while there as we like a more personal feel, and got the benefit of amazing recommendations on food. Do whatever you can to get food recommendations. They eat late, so if you normally eat at 6pm, no need for reservations... actually, we were the ONLY people eating in most places. And yes, don't miss the pubs as they are fun, but it's really a foodie country with so much more to offer.

Have fun, I very much want to go back.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:12 PM

8,602 posts, read 11,093,754 times
As hokey as they sound, the hop on hop off buses are great. Especially in Dublin. There were two separate lines, and you could literally hit just about everything and never have to worry about parking or driving. You're there, so you'd be remiss to not hit up the Guinness brewery or the Jamieson Distillery. Given the choice, hit the Brewery. The distillery is the old one, and no actual production goes on there, just tours/tasting.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:21 PM

2,601 posts, read 5,302,045 times
> I am a bit scared about driving but think I can manage if we are not in too many big cities.

It will be awkward and you will make mistakes, hopefully not bad ones.

Assign the other front seat passenger to alert you when you drift to the wrong side. Like the collision alert in a plane. MOVE OVER MOVE OVER

Old 12-14-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
As hokey as they sound, the hop on hop off buses are great. Especially in Dublin. There were two separate lines, and you could literally hit just about everything and never have to worry about parking or driving. You're there, so you'd be remiss to not hit up the Guinness brewery or the Jamieson Distillery. Given the choice, hit the Brewery. The distillery is the old one, and no actual production goes on there, just tours/tasting.
I think my kids would like the Guinness brewery. Though the plane gets in at 7:05am so we might better try to sleep on the way over.
The hop on hop off sounds like a great idea and I looked at the two of them online. They seem to start right across the street from our hotel. If there is a preference anyone can let me know. My husband and I did this in Boston and we saw so much more without the hassle of parking or missing things because walking was too far.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:34 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,594,641 times
Don't dismiss Irish pubs as "partying", this is a different culture & the pubs there act as a gathering place & social center, you will also hear good music in good pubs, have your sons google which ones have regular ceilis in the towns you are going through. Not going to a pub in Ireland is like not going to a church in Italy & being American will generate real friendliness if you ask someone nearby a question or two.

Since you are staying in Cong I would consider Galway & Westport (one of the Cheiftains has a pub here & plays regularly) visits & maybe a visit to the Aran Islands, very dramatic. But I will say that my drives around Kerry are some of the most constantly beautiful vistas anywhere especially as one gets by the ocean.

Be very careful driving, don't drive if you are tired, easy to revert to the wrong lane.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:49 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,605,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Don't dismiss Irish pubs as "partying", this is a different culture & the pubs there act as a gathering place & social center, you will also hear good music in good pubs, have your sons google which ones have regular ceilis in the towns you are going through. Not going to a pub in Ireland is like not going to a church in Italy & being American will generate real friendliness if you ask someone nearby a question or two.

Since you are staying in Cong I would consider Galway & Westport (one of the Cheiftains has a pub here & plays regularly) visits & maybe a visit to the Aran Islands, very dramatic. But I will say that my drives around Kerry are some of the most constantly beautiful vistas anywhere especially as one gets by the ocean.

Be very careful driving, don't drive if you are tired, easy to revert to the wrong lane.
I've been to Ireland and I loved the pubs! Even if you don't like partying, relaxing, drinking beer and listening to live music is always nice.

Don't just drink Guinness though, try some of the craft beers as well like McGargle's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or