Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 09:46 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,149,230 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any good resources for planning a more authentic vacation? I'm trying to avoid the Orbitz's of the world. I want to plan a trip somewhere (virtually anywhere) without booking a flight/resort together. I'd rather change locations a few times depending where we go and for how long.

Is there an Orbitz type website for more adventurous/authentic travel experiences? Not a tour group. That's the type of stuff I'm trying to avoid.

Hopefully I'm explaining this well enough. I want to fly somewhere, stay in more authentic accommodations, interact with locals, really see the location, not just the tourist traps. I know I could Airbnb it and I will but I was wondering if there is a one-stop-shopping type of site. Maybe that would defeat the purpose .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 10:45 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,570,202 times
We use kayak for fights and Airbnb for accommodations most of the time. It’s easy and straightforward but make sure the places have lots of positive reviews. One of my friends wound up in a real dump by taking a chance - to the extent she couldn’t stay there and the owner wouldn’t refund her.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:21 AM

128,540 posts, read 11,878,377 times
I like to have an itinerary, that I do myself, I use places like trip advisor to find things I think we will enjoy in any given town. I traveled without reservations in my youth, but nowadays, I like to have places booked in advance, that will fit my budget & have decent reviews.
You can book your flight to wherever & then research hotels separately. If you are not hiring a car, then it is might be a good idea to book hotels near public transportation, so you can walk, instead of cabs. Do your own research & make your itinerary. There is also nothing wrong with taking a guided tour for a day or so in certain destinations, it is nice to know what you are looking at.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:21 PM

19,388 posts, read 27,665,348 times
Where's StealthRabbit when we REALLY need him?

Old 12-29-2017, 02:32 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,014,864 times
So basically you want to just book flights then make up your itinerary/find lodging as you go? There's nothing particularly remarkable about that, it's how many people travel. However, it does pay to research costs, especially at different times of year. For example, don't go to Vietnam during Tet or Manhattan on New Years Eve or Cape Cod on July 4th and expect cheap, last-minute lodging, for example.

I'm confused as to where you actually want to go: the vast majority of places to stay are not resorts. There's no need to book flights and hotels, even on a site like Orbitz.

Last edited by Cantabridgienne; 12-29-2017 at 02:44 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 11:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,640 posts, read 57,693,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Does anyone have any good resources for planning a more authentic vacation? ... I want to fly somewhere, stay in more authentic accommodations, interact with locals, really see ...
No 'One-stop' if you want an "Authentic trip." (some use WWOOF) There are potential issues / labor abuse)
WWOOF
https://wwoofinternational.org/

I am a farmer (and engineer) but a tad more skilled / engaged in technical aspects of AG / Industry than a WOOFER...
so I use Hospitality motive (i.e. making your trip special..for last 30 yrs / )
https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange
over 200 excellent stays during in last 2 yrs, 10 in last 3 weeks)

If younger than age 40... consider Servas.org (since 1949) (must interview prior to departing home country)
https://servas.org/en/history

I never have used Couchsurfing
Terrible experiences with Air B&B (profit motive)

We also use several international trade and vocational schools / and ST and LT mission projects (including infrastructure / water / electricity / irrigation / health care / building / orphanages)

You can have a very unique and meaningful experience (to yourself and others).

You will get hammered by the elite travelers in places like C-D forums who know JUST how YOU should travel .
They sleep on a stack of mattresses and complain about the pea.

Sometimes you won't sleep much if taking care of someone's animals or children in crisis.
Airplanes are good for sleeping on your way home. (fairly safe, fairly quiet, fairly sterile)

You will usually have plenty of times to see the tourist stuff, if you so desire, but the family and community outings / feasts / celebrations / disappointments (family and livestock deaths = financial ruin due to storm...) will not soon leave your memory. (40+ yrs for us 'traveling (working and living)-as -locals')

Our trips are usually very flexible. we change routing / plans / departures based upon who has greatest need (and that is NOT us )

Old 12-30-2017, 11:01 AM

5,237 posts, read 3,580,396 times
Quote:
..... I want to fly somewhere, stay in more authentic accommodations, interact with locals, really see the location, not just the tourist traps. ...
Congrats on the vaguest request ever!

But I'll do my part Buy a ticket to SE Asia because they have been cheap recently, probably Thailand, get an AirBnB in a non touristy but interesting neighborhood, lets say Yarowat - mostly Asian tourists - & from there you can decide if you want to stay on a boat lodge on the River Kwai or get a hut on a small island or head up to Isan where there are few tourists & from there go to gorgeous Laos. There are probably groups that arrange homestays in Laos in BKK.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:27 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,608,122 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any good resources for planning a more authentic vacation? I'm trying to avoid the Orbitz's of the world. I want to plan a trip somewhere (virtually anywhere) without booking a flight/resort together. I'd rather change locations a few times depending where we go and for how long.

I've done a LOT of traveling in the last 40 years and never once booked a flight/resort together. I don't understand why you think that's the only way to plan a vacation.

If you want a truly "authentic" vacation, go to a website called Trusted Housesitters and sign up as a sitter. There are house sitting opportunities all over the world of varying lengths from a week to six months, and that's the best way to really get immersed in a local community. All you have to do is get there (go straight to the airline's website to book your flight and don't use Orbitz, etc.) and your housing expenses are free. We have used house sitters from this website for our house in Hawaii for six years.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:06 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,149,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
No 'One-stop' if you want an "Authentic trip." (some use WWOOF) There are potential issues / labor abuse)
WWOOF
https://wwoofinternational.org/

I am a farmer (and engineer) but a tad more skilled / engaged in technical aspects of AG / Industry than a WOOFER...
so I use Hospitality motive (i.e. making your trip special..for last 30 yrs / )
https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange
over 200 excellent stays during in last 2 yrs, 10 in last 3 weeks)

If younger than age 40... consider Servas.org (since 1949) (must interview prior to departing home country)
https://servas.org/en/history

I never have used Couchsurfing
Terrible experiences with Air B&B (profit motive)

We also use several international trade and vocational schools / and ST and LT mission projects (including infrastructure / water / electricity / irrigation / health care / building / orphanages)

You can have a very unique and meaningful experience (to yourself and others).

You will get hammered by the elite travelers in places like C-D forums who know JUST how YOU should travel .
They sleep on a stack of mattresses and complain about the pea.

Sometimes you won't sleep much if taking care of someone's animals or children in crisis.
Airplanes are good for sleeping on your way home. (fairly safe, fairly quiet, fairly sterile)

You will usually have plenty of times to see the tourist stuff, if you so desire, but the family and community outings / feasts / celebrations / disappointments (family and livestock deaths = financial ruin due to storm...) will not soon leave your memory. (40+ yrs for us 'traveling (working and living)-as -locals')

Our trips are usually very flexible. we change routing / plans / departures based upon who has greatest need (and that is NOT us )

Clearly.

My fault for not explaining well enough but this seems to be a contest of who can have the snarkiest post. Congrats, several posters win. They are also the type of tourist I'm looking to avoid.

Thank you for your suggestions. That's a little more what I had in mind.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:25 PM

14,990 posts, read 23,802,080 times
Quote:

Is there an Orbitz type website for more adventurous/authentic travel experiences? Not a tour group. That's the type of stuff I'm trying to avoid.

Hopefully I'm explaining this well enough. I want to fly somewhere, stay in more authentic accommodations, interact with locals, really see the location, not just the tourist traps. I know I could Airbnb it and I will but I was wondering if there is a one-stop-shopping type of site. Maybe that would defeat the purpose .
Yes it's called "Google Search". I assume that's how most of us do this, it's not rocket science, but you got to spend some evenings doing research. I mean really, the internet is made not for those who want to book on Orbitz, but to do your own research and make your own independent plans. I guess I like others are still confused on what you are asking since it's such a general question with an obvious answer.

First, determine where you want to go, then you can start asking for advice here or a number of general websites like Lonely Planet.com and then do searches and get more specific with your search parameters. Yes it takes some time, No we can't do that for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel