U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 04:55 PM

2,792 posts, read 2,282,628 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of going to Iceland for 4-5 days during Memorial day and Bermuda for a 3 day weekend. This will be separate trips but I didn't want to make two threads. From my experience, it's better to plan out the trip before I buy any tickets... in case I want to fly out of somewhere else.

I asked around a bit and some people were telling me how they rented a camper in Iceland and drove around and camped and camping is free in Iceland!? Would that be a bad idea for a solo female traveler? If so, I can see if anybody would want to come with me. Is there a good place to start out and drive around and end up at the same place? I definitely want to visit the blue lagoon and see the northern lights.

As for Bermuda, I've been reading that the more time you can spend there the better, but I'm just looking for a laid back long weekend getaway by myself. I'm thinking this will be a lazy beach getaway... or am I wrong about this? I don't care too much about museums but I'm thinking about doing some diving there. Would 3 days be enough for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 04:57 PM

71,508 posts, read 71,674,131 times
we are headed to bermuda in april . we will do some of the excursions. we are doing 5 nights 6 days

Old 12-27-2017, 10:51 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,469,558 times
If you're a diver and you go to Iceland, you MUST dive the Silfra fissure, where you can touch the North American and Eurasian techtonic plates at the same time! It is HIGH on my list! You have to be dry suit certified, however, and the water is considered the clearest in the world.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:26 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,094,672 times
I would recommend renting a car, driving in Iceland was pretty easy and I would also suggest downloading Smartguide by Locatify. We used their Golden Circle tour and it was a great guide while driving. You could download it in advance and use it to help you plan any specific stops to help plan your drive better. I would also recommend either renting a portable wifi hotspot or making sure that you have adequate speed from your provider to make sure that the guide works well.

The blue lagoon was an amazing experience but if you have the time, you should also check out the other hot springs on the island, that is definitely on my list if I ever go back. Be prepared that you may not see the norther lights, it is a hit or miss kind of things but there are apps that can let you know if they are going to be visible during your stay. Also having a car will help you to get to so better viewing spots.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:27 AM

4,412 posts, read 1,640,943 times
Gots to be careful not to fall for cheap advertised prices by WoW airlines if you are travelling to Iceland.
By the time you add up the basic options, like luggage items and seat selection, the ticket cost would be about the same as other airlines - however, other airlines may serve you something to eat and drink. wow airlines won't. Not even water. You MUST buy it if you need it.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:33 PM

315 posts, read 158,551 times
In Bermuda you will need to rely on taxis, the bus or ferry to get around. You can't rent a car there. My husband's family lives in Somerset and we stay with them and are close enough to walk to the beach at Somerset Long Bay or 9 Beaches. The water temperature should be around 75 degrees in May. Most Bermudians don't swim in the ocean until near the end of May since they don't like cold water. I don't know what your budget is, but Cambridge Beaches is a lovely resort (not cheap!) in Somerset and has a private beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel