U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 09:47 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times

Advertisements

The only hard part of a self-planned London trip is getting overwhelmed with hotel choices. Easy to spend a lot of money on an average hotel there, but there are some good values to be found with a bit of digging
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 03:36 PM

40,202 posts, read 15,177,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I also thought travel agents were obsolete!
Nope. I know a couple that still uses a travel agent a couple times a year. It saves them a lot of time and trouble.

OP, my friends and I have planned a trip to London in May 2018 (avoiding the weekend of Prince Harry's wedding). We did a ton of research and ended up renting an apartment, which is much more economical than a hotel room in London. We'll be in a neighborhood where we can walk to a grocery store and get a few items for breakfasts in our apartment, and perhaps a couple/few other meals since restaurants are so pricey in the city.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:45 PM

2,871 posts, read 1,401,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
First, realize that the royal wedding (Megan and Prince Harry) is scheduled for the 19th of May, which will probably make prices go up during this period.

That being said, I have planned several trips to London. I have never used a travel agent and think things went pretty well. However, depending on your time constraints and comfort level, a travel agent could be very helpful.
Ouch, forgot about that.
We were looking at the end of May now

Old 12-28-2017, 05:53 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,196,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
1. Are travel agents still a thing?

2. Personally I would book a straightforward trip to London myself. But I'm me not you.

Apparently they do still exist...I thought they were obsolete or something. But what exactly do they do? I mean, besides book stuff?

Old 12-29-2017, 11:48 AM

11,602 posts, read 3,970,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
First, realize that the royal wedding (Megan and Prince Harry) is scheduled for the 19th of May, which will probably make prices go up during this period.

That being said, I have planned several trips to London. I have never used a travel agent and think things went pretty well. However, depending on your time constraints and comfort level, a travel agent could be very helpful.

Also bare in mind that Windsor where they are going to be married is 25 miles from Central London, and if you want to get a train ticket it's easier and cheaper to do so well in advance.

Cheap Train Tickets, Rail Times & Fares Finder - National Rail Enquiries

Other advice would be to order Visitor Oyster Cards before you go and they will be posted to your address, a Visitor Oyster Card cuts the cost of journeys on London Transport significantly.

Visitor Oyster card - Transport for London

Another good tip regarding seeing St Paul's Cathedral.

How to See St Paul's Cathedral for Free - TripSavvy

There are some other good tip on this site such as buying a London Pass.

Top 11 money-saving tips for visiting London - visitlondon.com

London Pass

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-29-2017 at 12:00 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 02:37 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,426,389 times
I've never used a travel agent, but I'm someone who enjoys planning.id never want to let someone pick out my hotel/activities for me. Obviously, everyone is different.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:29 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,518,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Also bare in mind that Windsor where they are going to be married is 25 miles from Central London, and if you want to get a train ticket it's easier and cheaper to do so well in advance.

Cheap Train Tickets, Rail Times & Fares Finder - National Rail Enquiries

Other advice would be to order Visitor Oyster Cards before you go and they will be posted to your address, a Visitor Oyster Card cuts the cost of journeys on London Transport significantly.

Visitor Oyster card - Transport for London

Another good tip regarding seeing St Paul's Cathedral.

How to See St Paul's Cathedral for Free - TripSavvy

There are some other good tip on this site such as buying a London Pass.

Top 11 money-saving tips for visiting London - visitlondon.com

London Pass
Is there any difference between "Visitor Oyster Card" and "Normal Oyster Card" ??? How about buying it after reaching there at any train station like King's Cross or Euston or Airport itself? Why to incur extra cost of mailing it at our home?

Old 12-30-2017, 05:34 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,518,281 times
After reaching London, I booked Evan Evans Tours one day trip to Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath. It was worth every penny as one cannot use Public Transport to reach those places. Nowadays I am not sure they cover these three places as it takes more time to see Stonehenge.

If somebody is interested in saving money, then London Underground and Bus can take them to all the destinations at a fraction of price which one visits using those rip-off Bus Top sightseeing tours.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Is there any difference between "Visitor Oyster Card" and "Normal Oyster Card" ??? How about buying it after reaching there at any train station like King's Cross or Euston or Airport itself? Why to incur extra cost of mailing it at our home?

You can find some of the diffences here -

London Travelcard or Oyster? Identify the right pass in 2018

Old 12-30-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
After reaching London, I booked Evan Evans Tours one day trip to Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath. It was worth every penny as one cannot use Public Transport to reach those places. Nowadays I am not sure they cover these three places as it takes more time to see Stonehenge.

If somebody is interested in saving money, then London Underground and Bus can take them to all the destinations at a fraction of price which one visits using those rip-off Bus Top sightseeing tours.

National Rail fares are very expensive to places like Bath or even Windsor, so either book well in advance or even better book a poroper coach tour. As for Stonghenge, you are right, you would can not easily to go there via public transport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or