U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 04:01 PM

2,879 posts, read 1,406,121 times

Advertisements

thanks all, I've decided tp book the trip myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 07:46 AM

13,919 posts, read 7,416,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
First, realize that the royal wedding (Megan and Prince Harry) is scheduled for the 19th of May, which will probably make prices go up during this period.
That must be one enormous guest list if it's driving up prices in London.

There are places in the world and trips where a specialty travel agent would be useful. London isn't one of those places.

The thing that is different about London is the relative hotel quality. Unless you're shelling out huge money, hotels have tiny rooms, tinier bathrooms, and indifferent service. Breakfast is often 20+ for poorly prepared steam table buffet food. Set your expectations appropriately and enjoy the trip instead of spending the week upset that it's nothing like the Marriott/Sheraton at home with the 800 square foot room.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:17 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,184,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I hope you enjoy your trip!

Old 12-31-2017, 01:15 PM

39,632 posts, read 2,995,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

Great, now you need to make your own itinerary.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:13 AM

1,190 posts, read 664,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That must be one enormous guest list if it's driving up prices in London.

There are places in the world and trips where a specialty travel agent would be useful. London isn't one of those places.

The thing that is different about London is the relative hotel quality. Unless you're shelling out huge money, hotels have tiny rooms, tinier bathrooms, and indifferent service. Breakfast is often 20+ for poorly prepared steam table buffet food. Set your expectations appropriately and enjoy the trip instead of spending the week upset that it's nothing like the Marriott/Sheraton at home with the 800 square foot room.
Agree that hotels can be very different than in the US. We have rented a flat which cost about the same and provided more room.

OP, check out the Hampton Inn by the Waterloo train station. On our latest trip we booked months in advance and got a great price, big room and lovely bathroom. Just be sure to bring all your reservation info with you so your price is accepted. Breakfast is included and from Waterloo you can easily get to any place in London by walking or the tube (study the underground maps before you go for less confusion).

Have fun - we love London!

Old 01-01-2018, 11:33 AM

2,292 posts, read 2,645,331 times
Make a list of sights you want to see, I usually give them a preference number. Not many attractions are whole day events so you can combine them easily.

Also remember to check out day trips, they offer good value and often will combine the likes of Stonehenge with Bath etc.

Don't be afraid to use the tube, there are loads of apps available that will show you routes, if you do decide to use the tube buy an Oyster card this will allow you to hop on and off much easier, no having to stop and buy tickets for each trip.

I have had good luck booking Premier Inn hotels, they are mid ranged and a double room usually has a king size bed. At the end of the day as long as the bed is comfortable and the shower is hot its all good. A lot is made of small hotel rooms but personally I don't go on vacation to spend my time in the room.

Make sure you have a credit or debit card with a chip. Not many places have the ability to swipe anymore so it really is a must. Most banks have arm's inside which are safer for cash withdrawals, while you can use your cc for most things its always nice to have some cash for incidentals.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:49 PM

39,632 posts, read 2,995,231 times
And let your bank know you are traveling so that they do not deny any purchases made away from the USA.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:02 PM

44,850 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Just an aside note - we saved quite a bit of money by booking a hotel in Westminster rather than London proper. It was literally minutes away from the touristy hotels of London but we got a suite at the Doubletree in Westminster, overlooking the Thames river, for what a tiny room in London proper (which isn't even a big area) would cost.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:36 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,184,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just an aside note - we saved quite a bit of money by booking a hotel in Westminster rather than London proper. It was literally minutes away from the touristy hotels of London but we got a suite at the Doubletree in Westminster, overlooking the Thames river, for what a tiny room in London proper (which isn't even a big area) would cost.
Also, there are a number of apartment rental services available online, which have apartment for a wide range rates.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:41 PM

2,879 posts, read 1,406,121 times
lol, ok I picked up two travel books. Rick Steves london and lonely planet's "Discover London".

Side question,

What are some of the attractions that you guys loved?

I know of course we want to see Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or