U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 04:29 PM

287 posts, read 782,175 times

Advertisements

Nothing can deter me from traveling, except money and lack of vacation time. It's in my blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 09:17 PM

9,266 posts, read 11,912,158 times
I have found that being loyal to an airline and having "status" and having the right ticket, almost always gets you service when a cancellation or extreme delay occurs. It's not uncommon to bypass the hoards in the terminal by being directed to the club lounge where your travel plans are taken care of. I've always had lodging arranged and taken care of by the airline.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:25 PM

7,988 posts, read 3,485,512 times
I won’t fly during the holidays. Too much can go wrong.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:21 PM

7,742 posts, read 18,668,529 times
Knocking on wood here - I have always had great luck. I've even had a weather delay and way put up for the night

Old 12-28-2017, 05:37 PM

21,381 posts, read 24,175,832 times
I use Delta in the US. When I've had late night flights cancelled on me, the airline first attempts to find me another airline to get me to my destination. If they find one, they give them a code and no out of pocket expense. The downside is my luggage usually doesn't make it and gets delivered to me hours later by courier. If they can't find me a replacement flight, then they put me up in a flea bag hotel and call me the following morning with my itinerary of flights to get me to my destination. They also do this for missed connections.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:15 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,178,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What were my options? They said I could take a 6:00am flight out of Ontario Airport, 50 miles away, but wouldn't provide the transportation to get there.

20 hours without sleep, at that point, I decided to do a one way rental to Las Vegas, and let my roommate help me co-pilot, as I have night vision, and he can't drive! So I arrived, bleary eyed, in Las Vegas at 6am!

So what have been your experiences with flight cancellations? Nightmarish, painful, you took it very calmly, almost deterred you from flying again?
I get a hotel room, with my own money if I have to, and travel the next morning. I'm not driving anywhere on 20 hours without sleep.

I also try to leave for my destination early enough that if there's a delay or cancellation, I won't miss my meeting or whatever I am traveling for.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:17 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,971,894 times
A long time frequent flier here who no longer has any airline loyalty. I fly for the availability, price and connections.

I have noticed the last few years that overbooking and both weather and mechanical problems were becoming more and more frequent. I enrolled in AMEX's travel delay insurance for a very small fee.

I have been taking advantage more so in the last few years of the benefits.

Loyalty aside not all airlines race to make you whole.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:40 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,199,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
We gave Spirit a try from Detroit to Myrtle Beach. Outward journey whilst taxiing out the pilot all of a sudden realized there was a weather system he would have to navigate around so taxied back to the gate for more fuel.

Homeward, 5-6 hour delay due to no crew available, they gave precedence to their own people flying so literally bullied paying passengers to give up seats. In 5 hours not even a cup of coffee was offered.

Apart from that the longest I've ever been delayed by was 9 hours, middle of January, O'Hare to Traverse City. They ended up trying to persuade us that we could wait until the next morning but several passengers insisted we fly. No meal vouchers offered (no where open at that time of night anyways) and we landed sideways on ice. If they had offered lodging I think I would have taken the overnight delay.
It wasn't a weather system he realized, but a coordinated ATC reroute, due to that weather, that needed to be complied with. Not enough gas to fly the route legally then back to the gate you go.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:04 PM

2,069 posts, read 3,509,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So what have been your experiences with flight cancellations? Nightmarish, painful, you took it very calmly, almost deterred you from flying again?
Annoying. But I deal with it and you move on. It's just like being stuck in traffic. I haven't stopped flying because of it. Not yet anyway.

The modern day airline phone apps are very handy in these situations. You can get rebooked on another flight pretty quickly, provided there are seats available. I did that once on a business trip to DC. The flight was delayed (not cancelled) and rather than wait it out I pulled out my phone and was rebooked on an alternate flight in about a minute.

Sometimes you have to stay one step ahead of the crowd. We were taking a flight to Orlando to board a cruise later in the day. We knew it was risky not flying down the night before, but accepted the risk. At the gate they announced several delays to the flight when I decided there was a very good chance it would eventually get canceled. So I walked down to the service desk and got in line (this was before the smart phone era). As I neared the front of the line I looked back towards the gate and saw a flood of people heading for the service desk ... the flight had just been cancelled. We found seats on a later flight and still made the cruise (barely), but I doubt that the people at the back of the line were as fortunate.

Other times you have to get creative. Many years ago we were taking an anniversary trip to Paris via Dulles. When we arrived at the airport for the flight to Dulles we learned that the flight had been cancelled. The next available flight would not put us in Dulles in time to catch our connection. The agent offered to put us up for the night in DC. But I didn't give up and insisted that there must be a way to get us there in time. She checked other airlines and didn't find anything. So I asked if there was anything going to National. She found a flight to National that gave us barely enough time to travel by cab out to Dulles. But we made it, and our trip was saved.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:18 PM

4,457 posts, read 2,635,825 times
I'm not exactly a frequent flyer now, only every few years when we do a major vacation.

But when I was, I flew every year to Florida (Orlando) from providence RI, then rented a car and visited my grandmother in Florida and flew home to providence from Tampa every last week of Jan and 1st week of Feb.

One year I had a stop at D.C., where the pilot was coming from buffalo and the copilot from Syracuse and the weather was bad there,(snow storms). They deplaned us at D.C. so they clean the plane and the same plane was to take us on to providence. In the airport they told us our flight would be delayed due to pilot/copilot situation. Then they decided to get a crew to drive to D.C. from Baltimore as if was only raining in that area, so they reloaded us on the plane gave us complimentary drinks. My seat happened to be over the luggage loading door and I was only watching out the window as a business man sat next to me from going to D.C. on business . When I saw the luggage ramp truck pull up, I said to the guy, "we're not going anywhere tonight ". He asked how I knew. I replied unless they have forgotten luggage to load, they are unloading the luggage. Sure enough they were unloading. As we had to be on the tarmac at 10pm cleared to take off "so as to not disturb the President". They couldn't do it.

They offered hotel to the through passengers, so I was set and got my ticket for the first flight out the next day. But passengers originating at D.C. were out of luck until the "uprising". Many explained they were from providence and NE and on a day trip to D.C.. They finally decided to give all who needed a room a room.

The problem was I had 3 people who could pick me up that night, but none available the next morning. I had a friend who was a travel agent who had always arranged my trips I called her from providence and said "help" how do I get home from here?". She got me a bus ticket hone, then I had to take a cab to the house, where I had to crawl through a window to get in. The woman I was "seeing" at the time had my keys and my truck as,she wanted to borrow it to cone pick me up.

It was a long trip to get home.

Only time I'VE been stuck so far knock wood.

I know there are rules to follow to get airlines to service you if they get you stranded, but the secrets are hard to come by and don't always work. I'm still not sure about them.

Flying holidays or in bad weather is just not a good idea in my book. Of course thatdoesnt stop me from flying periodically to Hawai'i the last week of Jan and 1st week of Feb!!!!

Been lucky do far that way.

Best of luck to those who get stranded.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or