U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 09:42 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Connecting flight on Eurowings to Barcelona (which I was most looking forward to) was cancelled and I lost a day at the airport/hotel room. Finally got to Barcelona the next day and friend was supposed to come along.
Do see if the airline owes you additional compensation under what's called EU 261/2004 rules. Most American flyers don't know their rights to file a claim for such things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight...ation_261/2004
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 11:32 AM

8,046 posts, read 5,890,079 times

Old 12-22-2017, 02:10 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,437,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Sure, I can help with most of this:

1. Don't hang out or travel with bums. Even my friends, decidely not bums, are busy with BS wives and children in their 40s, and "money problems" despite making $200K/yr between college at $40k/year for some kid, $3K note on the house, and "relationship problems" with the wife or SO. I've had people backout all the time. I had two of them backout on plans with me in some number of years, so I've since started traveling solo; screw 'em all, I have none of the above (= travel light, a lifeline plan).

2. Don't buy non-refundable, I wouldn't buy beyond a month out on anything. Confirm, confirm, and triple confirm they aren't being just nice about a place to crash. I have exactly one friend I trust to crash with, in Santa Barbara. With him I do the same, though: triple check up to week prior.

3. Uber, obviously. I only discovered it a few years ago, but there it is. Cabs a distant second possibility? WTH?

4. LOL: see no. 1. "Money problems" and "families" are not something you need to be involved with when traveling.

If you're traveling with only a few hundred bucks to spare, you're broke and I'm amused you're "traveling" at-all, unless that is a euphemism for "a bum on the rails."

Yeah, I did some of that when 18 and into college. After, as a professional, thought it more prudent to mostly travel Business Class (chuckle). I camped in Maine, NY state, and New Hampshire, brought a hot plate, and cooked coffee, beans, and raviolis plus stew from cans. I survived on meager funds.

Do...not...count...on....families or old people to come through. Brats or new girlfriend around your travel buddies? Don't believe anything whatsoever they say, or plan out.

Couple observations doing what you did, back in the day, the previous. Only one doing my travel planning today is me.
1. I didn't know they were travel bums until they committed the crime.
2. Non-refundable fares are one of the biggest rip-offs ever. It's 3x or more of the economy fare. Why give that money to the airlines instead of having it for lodging, food, sight-seeing, souvenirs, etc.during the trip.

I wouldn't have been broke had: the person splitting the cost of 4 nights at a nice hotel on the west coast not pull a last minute no-show on the trip. Or, If the person whom I was planning to visit for 3 days hadn't cancelled our plans unexpectedly which meant I had to pay for 3 days lodging in an urban area, not a part of the original deal. That was co$tly! Lastly, had the upscale hotel not placed a financial hold of several hundred dollars on my debit card days beyond my check-out date, I wouldn't have been broke.

One could & should be able to travel without being a part of the 1%.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:29 PM

Blondebaerde,

Just noticed that you said don't count on old people (to come thru) when traveling. That's news to me. Why are they on your list?

Old 12-22-2017, 04:22 PM

10,145 posts, read 4,039,262 times
Klass, I'm trying to understand your goal. Are you just trying to get back home at this point and you don't have a plane reservation paid for? If you're out of money, and you have a reservation, can you change it and move it up to NOW?

You need a credit card. And if you're a couple hundred dollars away from being broke, going on a lavish vacation across the country is probably not a safe plan.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:47 PM

17,028 posts, read 17,342,168 times
People have given you some great suggestions.

Wow, what a huge collection of things to go wrong during one trip! I am so sorry. Your friend and relatives who cancelled at the last minute should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:46 PM

11,682 posts, read 14,426,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post

I paid for 75% of this trip upfront even months now, for a travel buddy to split costs, and when it's all said & done, broken agreements by at least four different people, which is why I'm traveling solo-not-by-choice, and an upscale hotel (thx Priceline, you rock!) holding debit card funds days after I've checked out leaves me broke while traveling. Thankfully, I'm with family as of today. It was scary having little money while traveling solo.
Sounds like a lesson learned.

I went through this lesson myself. I travelled with a close friend to Europe thinking it would be exciting since it was her first big trip. She freaked out the first day in Paris, cried, tried to arrange a flight back home, etc. The only way I could get her to stay was to agree to move on to London so she felt more comfortable. Of course, I had to put the hotel on my card and we lost the week in Paris. She told me should would pay me half for the extra week in London but she was broke when we got home and only paid a fraction.

I will never travel with an inexperienced traveller again. I will also never pay for anyone else on a card unless they hand me cash first.

I enjoy travelling alone but would love to have a buddy. Maybe someday.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misnomed View Post
1. Take at least one credit card, two doesn't hurt as sometimes you get declined for unknown reasons. ATM card as gas pumps can get you $250 hold on account for 3 days for $20 in gas.

2. Then pay the credit card bill in full at end of month.

3. You had money saved to cover trip before you planned to go. You saved for trips.

4. Emergency fund you can access from ATM card.

5. Stay in suburban hotels and don't look flashy or take big electronics unless you do business on that thing while away. Keep the electronics in car while gone. Take wallets/purses to pool or hotel gym in bag.

6. If you've ever had car break after a service appointment, don't get it worked on just prior to trips. May want to consider using rental cars to leave town if you have bad mechanics experience or you drive a beater. For some reason, area around here left many people paying for BIG car repairs during trips..... Had my rental car's check engine light come on during drive to airport to fly out but drove Highway 101 beautifully BTW. Thank you so much Gawd. Was lovely trip.

7. Travel with people of your income level or just visit at wealthy friend's home instead. If poorer friend ever borrowed money and could never pay it back, the trip is a gift to your friend and make sure you can cover ALL expenses before you book it. If the friend has history of excessive drinking or drugs, skip traveling with these for your own good.

8. AirBnb is allowing some predators accused of harming guests to remain landlords...I've used it happily until I saw a local predator taking in people to steal from...Few get anywhere filing a police report there as she's a somebody........She used people's information to steal long term from a lot of locals.

9. Uber had a few accused of rapes or assaults. Nothing was done until the police picked him up after multiple complaints. Crazy Uber guys are almost the norm in some places...

I'M SORRY. I didn't see the second post until I put this together. Advice is helpful so I will leave it.

(4th time trying to send this post).

Misnomed, no problem regarding your advice. BTW, I used Uber numerous times throughout this trip and had no weirdos or creeps. They were professional, personable, and courteous.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
If you are with family, stay there until your atm hold is resolved with that expected deposit. Personally, I'd go home after that, and follow the advise given above for future trips.

Get home safe!
Thx. The ATM issue was resolved today fortunately. This experience has scarred me. I don't think I'll ever forget or repeat the mistakes I made on this trip. I'm with family now and we're close-knit so we share and share alike with love, money, and resources. Not that I need money at this point since the ATM hold no longer exist.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:13 PM

Default Solo travel doesn't do it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Oh gosh, this used to happen to me all the time.

Okay it happened in 2014 too. But I wasn’t actually by myself ... I had the 3 youngest kids & the dog with me.

In a 19 year old Nissan with electrical system issues (later determined to have been a Katrina car). The last thing I said when we left to “drive until we reached the ocean” was “Hopefully I make it through the desert without breaking down & being picked up by some Cartel guy.”

As it turns out; I break down just 100 miles from home (on our way back), at midnight, during an epic thunderstorm, on Raton Pass, NM. A 20-something year old kid from Mexico/recently moved to Roswell who spoke zero English named Leo ended up driving us home, right to our front door.

I used to get stranded in OB, San Diego. Honestly, there are worse places to get stranded. Like the 4 days I was stranded at a truck stop in Orange, CA. That place was a little sketchy but I can be ... resourceful. And I’m friendly, that helped.

This wasn’t a travel incident but I used to commute to work an almost 2 hour drive one way, across a sparsely populated region of the high plains & at all hours of the day & night. One night, my engine blew. I heard a big ka-bam & the interior filled with black smoke. I bailed with the box of diapers I just bought prior to leaving town onto the side of the highway. It was 1am & 13 degrees out & I was so glad someone picked me up, at that point he could have been Ted Bundy & I wouldn’t have cared.

I actually told him “Thank you for picking me up & not being an axe-murderer!” When he dropped me off.

I’ve never been a first-class traveler & I’ve learned how to travel on a budget. I don’t go to tourist traps; I’m just happy if there is an ocean. I use public transportation in cities. If I don’t know where anything is (including myself) I just ask the first person I see “which way is the ocean?” & hop on a bus. & I can cook a hot, 5 course meal with all the healthy food groups as long as there is a Walmart & a hotel room with a microwave & mini-fridge.

Eating out is the budget killer; if you can eat 1000 miles from home the same way you eat while at home you can save hundreds of dollars.

Skip the expense & waiting in line at theme parks & buy a sand bucket at Walmart for $0.99 & let the kids play.

Editing to add: unless it’s my kids, I’m always solo. I tried doing it with a BF once & he couldn’t keep up. The first ticket home I had I used it to send him home & I worked it out myself a week later. He was so anxious about stuff all the time it was annoying.
Very interesting experiences. Some people can be annoying to travel with, yes, but solo travel for me is a thumb down even though I'm an introvert. I like having someone to share the experience with. I do it for work solo but the only aspect of that is the flight or drive to/from the site. Once on location, I'm with other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel