U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 08:05 AM

3,784 posts, read 3,002,395 times

Advertisements

My question is mainly about which airlines, websites, scheduling, are most efficient and cost effective when traveling to the Far East as I'm looking at doing a trip this summer. The 3 places that are on my hit list are Tokyo, Beijing, Hong Kong. What is the best order to hit these in for cost effectiveness? Any other tips? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 10:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Where are you departing from? (Canada vs USA can be a big difference in pricing and carriers)

Do you have any alliances (Air mileage programs?)

Do you care what day of the week you travel?

How long are you going for?

Do you have other cities? / regions?

Of course it is best to hit those in order IF you can get flights with free stop-overs (Some airlines allow)

Otherwise... get to the region and take discounted flights between cities. By searching fares between your cities, you can determine if an airline is doing a 'relocation' (I.e. a short hop to depart from another city) I have done this using Emirates (Which seldom does short hops, but was doing so BKK > HGK.

Put a request on Airfarewatchdog.
Search kayak and similar

ALWAYS check directly booking with the airline (once you find the best deals).

Old 12-22-2017, 09:21 PM

4,391 posts, read 1,666,771 times
There will be a huge premium if you book a flight that allows stopovers. Fly to which of the three has cheapest fare, then buy separate RT tickets to each of the other two from that hub.. Beijing would probably work best for that.

I will look on ITA and see what I can find. ITA is an essential source, but from there, you have to go elsewhere to actually confirm that the flight exists.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/#search:

In July, you can go Chicago-Beijing for about $700 RT, a little less on some days. $600 will get you RT tix to Tokyo and to Hong Kong, from Beijing. Or about $600 for three one-way tickets, Beijing-Tokyo-Hong Kong-Beijing. Cut that to $500 if you take a train Beijing-Hong Kong. So say about $1200. I seriously doubt you will ever find a ticket that cheap that allows the stopovers you are talking about.

Last edited by cebuan; 12-22-2017 at 10:00 PM..

Old 12-22-2017, 09:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
FREE stopover in Cook Islands when you fly Air NZ from LA, (one week / one month??.)

Old 12-25-2017, 04:15 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,637,007 times
US to Tokyo tends to be very expensive and stopover in Japan is still expensive

Old 12-25-2017, 04:33 PM

4,391 posts, read 1,666,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
US to Tokyo tends to be very expensive and stopover in Japan is still expensive
Yes, Tokyo fares are a couple hundred higher than to other Asian destinations. Buy the ticket to Beijing, and a separate ticket for a side trip to Tokyo.

In Tokyo, book your first night and/or last night in the Narita View hotel, about $40, free shuttle from airport, free shuttle to Narita town and the train station to Tokyo. Nice quiet walking trail through forest behind the hotel, if you find yourself there with a few hours to kill. Narita is a very pleasant and friendly little Japanese town. It makes NRT one of the world's most pleasant airport layovers.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:43 PM

1,356 posts, read 546,239 times
Flying to Japan from North America is very expensive except Hawaii. Fare can be down to $400+ because there are at least half dozens of airlines serving this route and there are couple budget airlines flying to second tier city in Japan.

If you fly from Honolulu, my best advice is to fly to Hong Kong with stopover in Tokyo.

If you want to make a side trip to Beijing, the best option is to join a tour in Hong Kong. The price is incredibly cheap, i.e. US$250-$350 for a 5 day tour to Beijing including airfare, 4-5 star hotel stays, all meals, as well as visits to Great Wall, Forbidden City, ....etc.

The only dilemma is that the tour guide speaks in Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin). But since those scenic spots are pretty much self-illustrated, it shouldn't be a problem. Of course, the guide will take you to visit some tourist traps like silk factory which expects you to spend some money (that is why the tour is so cheap).

Old 12-26-2017, 04:19 PM

287 posts, read 780,840 times
Try Scott's Cheap Flights. You can get a cheap flight to one of your cities of choice, and then buy the tickets for the other cities. We use SCF to go to Shanghai and paid $450 a ticket RT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or