U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 06:27 PM

1,152 posts, read 409,756 times

Advertisements

My best mate of 30+ years called me a few nights ago. A friend of his was being relocated from Albany, GA to Carson City, NV. She offered her relocation allowance to him if he would move her belongings. He asked me if I'd like to go, and I said, "Hell yeah"!!!

So the plan thus far....

Albany, Montgomery, Memphis, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Flagstaff, Vegas, Reno.

We plan to arrive in Albuquerque withing 36 hours as I want to tour Wild Hog filming locations in Albuquerque and Madrid.

We leave on 12/31 and our flight from Reno is 1/5 at 1:41 AM.

I travel a lot for work, but this is my first time taking a cross-country trip for really no purpose at all than just wanting to do it. I welcome your suggestions on making the most out of this trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 09:16 PM

2,601 posts, read 5,306,281 times
Unwise to plan on getting most of the way across country in 36 hours.

But doable with two drivers.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:55 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,480,559 times
be prepared for slower travel and/or delays due to winter/inclement road conditions as you reach the higher elevations out West.

Best to keep a close watch on weather forecasts and road condition reports. Should the roads become slick, better to stop sooner than later in a town where you can get lodging/meals and some diversions to pass the time until conditions improve.

Once out on the plains of OK and thence to the Texas panhandle, winter weather/black ice can present. New Mexico and Arizona mountain areas can have a lot of snow at the elevations, cold weather ... and this can present most of the way to Carson City from Flagstaff.

I've traveled that basin area encompassing from Flagstaff up into Nevada at this time of the year many times, and it's not uncommon for wide area storms to mess up all the roads in the region from AZ up through UT and NV. Don't expect that you'll be able to maintain posted interstate highway speeds during inclement weather or if you're driving a truck, especially into prevailing Westerly winds in the western states. Lightweight high profile vehicles are at a particular disadvantage in the gusty winds that may present and you will need to slow down if that's what you encounter.

You may find that you'll need all the travel time you've allocated just to reach Carson City and thence back to Reno for your flight homeward without any significant layover time in Albuquerque. You may be thinking that 70 mph averages are achievable, but the reality is you might need to be driving at 30-ish (more or less) for quite some distances/hours at this time of the year.

Of course, the weather may be fine for much of this planned trip, but bear in mind that it doesn't take too many miles of inclement road conditions to be a spoiler for your travel timetable.

Good luck and happy travels.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-23-2017 at 11:18 PM..

Old 12-24-2017, 12:42 AM

14,272 posts, read 24,029,111 times
Personally, if I were in a U-Haul, I would take this route:

I-20 into Midland/Odessa
I-10 into Phoenix
US-60/ US 93 into Las Vegas
US-95 into Reno

You will be at relatively low elevations until you get close at Tucson. However, the elevations near Tucson rarely get snow.

I have driven the route you proposed and I will say this. OKC to Amarillo can be one of the worst drives due to wind. I-40 in New mexico and Arizona are at high elevations and can be very difficult to drive even in a normal vehicle.

Even the route that I am recommending can be rather treacherous from Tonopah - Carson City due to having to face high winds in a high profile vehicle. However, I would rather have 3-4 hours of tougher driving than the 15-20 you will be facing.

The only way that you could make that in the time frame you are proposing is if you try that in the middle of June or July.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:06 AM

28,555 posts, read 62,318,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, if I were in a U-Haul, I would take this route:

I-20 into Midland/Odessa
I-10 into Phoenix
US-60/ US 93 into Las Vegas
US-95 into Reno

You will be at relatively low elevations until you get close at Tucson.
However, the elevations near Tucson rarely get snow.
I concur with this route choice and staying away from I-40... link to google map HERE
but also with stretching out the time on the road.

PLAN to have a reason to stop. Maybe it's a good reason and maybe not.
But never be artificially forced to hew to a schedule.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
PLAN to have a reason to stop. Maybe it's a good reason and maybe not.
But never be artificially forced to hew to a schedule.

At this time of year, I try to avoid long stops (other than the nightly stops to get a lot of sleep). The problem is that you need to keep moving while you have good weather.

A 2600 miles trip in the middle of December in a U-Haul ... the makings of a nightmare.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:40 PM

1,152 posts, read 409,756 times
The changes in the forecast along with your suggestions have prompted me to cancel. I have no desire to freeze to death with my best friend in Uhaul on the side of the road.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:38 AM

4,213 posts, read 1,922,505 times
Whether you get a van or trailer, make sure that the Unit is in serviceable condition. Oil, tires, heater, wipers, transmission, dings, and other dats. Bring music since units do not have ports or CD player. Radio yes.

I recently rented a van with the tire inflation light on, I asked the agent what's this about, and she replied that they changed a tire and they havent got around to getting the computer reset. Took van home and the next morning there was flat-a sidewall crack, right front. Dealer sent out tire people who replaced tire. Lost a day (reimbursed by dealer). It is probable that they will rent this van without doing a wheel balance, and thus the steering will wobble in about 10K miles.

Nice people and the PU and Vans I rented were clean. Service was excellent. Be sure that your insurance and credit cards are also in good order for any longhaul trips.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Whether you get a van or trailer, make sure that the Unit is in serviceable condition. Oil, tires, heater, wipers, transmission, dings, and other dats. Bring music since units do not have ports or CD player. Radio yes.

Also, make sure that you take a video of the vehicle as you have received it. In general, delivery vehicles get a lot of dings and dents and you don't want to pay for those. Personally, U-Haul has a pretty bad reputation for old, run-down equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel