U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 07:29 AM

483 posts, read 303,934 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'll be headed to Lisbon and Porto in May! I will have 6 days in Lisbon and 4 in Porto. I am debating on rather or not to take day trips. I saw some that I'm interested in but then I thought about when I was in Italy and did too much therefore I have a strong desire to go back and do it slow! Have any of you did Lisbon/Porto without the day trips? If you did the day trips with such short time, did you feel like you raced around trying to fit everything in? Just curious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 09:12 AM

9,191 posts, read 9,269,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
Hello,

I'll be headed to Lisbon and Porto in May! I will have 6 days in Lisbon and 4 in Porto. I am debating on rather or not to take day trips. I saw some that I'm interested in but then I thought about when I was in Italy and did too much therefore I have a strong desire to go back and do it slow! Have any of you did Lisbon/Porto without the day trips? If you did the day trips with such short time, did you feel like you raced around trying to fit everything in? Just curious!
I really would recommend the day trip to Sintra. It is well worth a day of your time to see such an incredible palace.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I really would recommend the day trip to Sintra. It is well worth a day of your time to see such an incredible palace.
Sintra was one of the places I'm considering. I really only want to snap a photo of Pena Palace (I'm not interested in going inside), climb Castelo dos Mouros, go to Quinta da Regaleira and then get a couple pastries. I also want to take a wine tour of Setubal for the Muscatel, love wine! I just don't want to be racing around town. I do want to experience Lisbon leisurely as well. For Lisbon I'd like to take in some fado, great local, not touristy restaurants, scope out the street art scene, and just wander around and find hidden gems!

Old 12-25-2017, 01:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Use one of your days in Porto for a trip up the Douro River. In fact... I spent 3 days on the river (rental car and boat) and 1 day in Porto (plenty for me). Up river... We had a great renovated 1700's vineyard homestay. It was off season and the owners were in their city house, so we had the whole place to ourselves. magnificent views, far above River, free flowing wine, wood fired oven in a communal cooking area with indoor and outdoor options. <$50 / night. Did I mention QUIET!! peaceful, great sunrises! (all reasons I spend little time in cities).

My favorite Portugal destinations were the walled cities along the Spanish Frontier, impressive and also QUIET, (not physical restful due to climbing walls, tall hills, and exploring). It was late Spring (~May) and NO ONE was around. This was a huge benefit! no traffic = faster sightseeing. Lisbon has significant traffic!

Old 12-25-2017, 03:25 AM

177 posts, read 54,471 times
6 days in Lisbon and 4 days in Porto is a lot of time, you definitely can do a few days trips. Both city centers can be covered in 1 day (Lisbon might have enough to do and see for 2-3 days tops if you do shopping, fado dinners, spas etc., for Porto 2 days is really enough). Both are very nice towns to visit.

Around Lisbon I recommend Sintra and Cascais (a pleaseant coastal town on the Atlantic coast). For Cascais take the train from central Lisbon.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:48 AM

12,689 posts, read 14,071,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
... Lisbon has significant traffic!
And it can be VERY fast in the small one-way streets in the lower part of town. You have zero time to dawdle trying to decide whether you should turn right or left!

Old 12-25-2017, 11:15 AM

2,907 posts, read 1,585,473 times
I spent 5-6 days in Lisbon last year & it was a good amount of time for my style of leisurely walking through various neighborhoods, I particularly liked Principe Real & would probably stay there next visit, I stayed in Rato which was perfectly fine & convenient in a great serviced apartment. I should've visited Cascais for a day trip & most people enjoy Sintra.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:45 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,034,238 times
We had 4 days and originally planned to spend them in Lisboa. Instead, we visited Obidos, spent a day and night in Nazaré, and then drove to Évora for a day and a night. Obidos is beautiful. We were in Portugal in the off-season so Nazaré wasn’t crowded and we had an amazing hotel with a room facing the beach. On the way to Évora we stopped at the Cromeleques dos Almendres (standing stones older than Stonehenge—out in the middle of nowhere surrounded by cork trees, and we were the only people there) and had lunch in a little cafe in a nearby town among the local farmers. And Évora! There are the Old Roman temple and aqueduct, the Capella dos Ossos, the Clock Museum...so much to see. Lisboa is a nice city but there’s so much more. We didn’t feel rushed simply because we weren’t surrounded by tourists and could do what we liked.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Use one of your days in Porto for a trip up the Douro River. In fact... I spent 3 days on the river (rental car and boat) and 1 day in Porto (plenty for me). Up river... We had a great renovated 1700's vineyard homestay. It was off season and the owners were in their city house, so we had the whole place to ourselves. magnificent views, far above River, free flowing wine, wood fired oven in a communal cooking area with indoor and outdoor options. <$50 / night. Did I mention QUIET!! peaceful, great sunrises! (all reasons I spend little time in cities).

My favorite Portugal destinations were the walled cities along the Spanish Frontier, impressive and also QUIET, (not physical restful due to climbing walls, tall hills, and exploring). It was late Spring (~May) and NO ONE was around. This was a huge benefit! no traffic = faster sightseeing. Lisbon has significant traffic!
Sounds nice. If I do the day trip I'm doing Geres National Park.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
We had 4 days and originally planned to spend them in Lisboa. Instead, we visited Obidos, spent a day and night in Nazaré, and then drove to Évora for a day and a night. Obidos is beautiful. We were in Portugal in the off-season so Nazaré wasn’t crowded and we had an amazing hotel with a room facing the beach. On the way to Évora we stopped at the Cromeleques dos Almendres (standing stones older than Stonehenge—out in the middle of nowhere surrounded by cork trees, and we were the only people there) and had lunch in a little cafe in a nearby town among the local farmers. And Évora! There are the Old Roman temple and aqueduct, the Capella dos Ossos, the Clock Museum...so much to see. Lisboa is a nice city but there’s so much more. We didn’t feel rushed simply because we weren’t surrounded by tourists and could do what we liked.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I do plan to stay in Lisbon and not hop around. At most I'd do one day trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or