U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 04:35 PM

11,043 posts, read 4,011,569 times

Advertisements

We went on s cruise in October. We could have paid for WiFi and streaming for our phones but we decided to go a week without. None of us died, including our kids! And it was fantastic!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 04:49 PM

611 posts, read 332,680 times
No, thank you

Bubby

Old 12-25-2017, 09:14 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,495,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Does anyone travel without any electronic devices at all? Nothing that needs charging? Nothing digital?

Is it even possible to travel unplugged any more?

Is a tablet a good travel companion?
Last time I traveled exclusively for vacation, I was completely unplugged. That was two years ago. Since then, I'm plugged in because I'm mixing work travel with vacation.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:15 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,495,979 times
Quote:
So you think the technology improves your travel experience in important ways?

What's improved? Just curious...
Navigation. Having maps, restaurants, and city highlights on the phone makes a huge difference to the travel experience.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:30 PM

9,028 posts, read 8,447,613 times
I travel with my iPhone and iPad. The functions are a bit redundant, differing in the obvious ability of one to make phone calls, the other is easier to use because of the larger screen.

I always have a few books and movies on my iPad for the plane.

I use a travel app to record all of my flight, hotel and rental car info. It notifies mr of any changes.

The devices also function as my travel guides, currency exchange calculator, research tools for sites, attractions, and booking events. The phone is a decent substitute for a snapshot camera, anD gives me access to all of my critical data should I need it. Copies of my passport and drivers license, credit card numbers and contact info, medical insurance and the like.

I can use them for video calls via FaceTime or Skype, allowing me to talk with friends and family.

Cruises annoy the crap out of me, so WiFi costs aren’t a concern for me. You would have to cover all costs, plus pay me $250/day before I would go on one.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:40 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,706,078 times
In the past four years Ive gone with nothing but a $50 tablet, and it was all I could imaging needing.. That's to all six continents, 30 countries. I was planning at first to go unplugged, but chickened out and bought a tablet the day before I left -- I had never used one before (nor a cellphone) so spent the first trip learning it. But it crashed with a virus the first day out on my last trip, and I was three weeks with no contact with anyone, and it was OK. I found someone to email a facebook contact, to report that I was out of contact, but not to worry.

With cheapo tablet I was able to googlephone any US phone number free, load offline map apps (maps.me), screen-save documents and notes from Wikitravel, save photos and even audio files, send video messages via email, and I booked flights and hotels along the way when I changed my itinerary.

But on my last trip, due to the virus, I was unplugged for three weeks, and it was just like traveling in the 1970s. In other words, possible and OK.

I was on a three day truck ferry across the Black Sea, there was no wifi, no cell phone connections, no tv, no contact with shore. It was awesome. Never head a single ringtone for three days and the only people talking were talking to each other.

Last edited by cebuan; 12-26-2017 at 01:49 AM..

Old 12-26-2017, 04:50 AM

32,140 posts, read 33,051,397 times
My brother and family went on a cruise with only the ability to check Whatsapp (no email or other internet access) during the voyage.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:33 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Does anyone travel without any electronic devices at all? Nothing that needs charging? Nothing digital?

Is it even possible to travel unplugged any more?

Is a tablet a good travel companion?
I travel with my phone, iPod, iTouch, and usually iPad. The iPod and iTouch are so I always have music to listen to. I put on headphones and put my head back when flying and zone it all out. When driving, I need music....can't drive in silence....makes me loopy. I've had music with me while driving since I got my license decades ago!

I can also read on my iTouch and iPad. I have a ton of books on them.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:36 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Wow, I had no idea. Those are a lot of uses. But as I'm something of a Luddite, it (the appliance) would not be as useful for me...Those who know how to use the technology seem to really enjoy it...

My iPhone remains much of a mystery to me...it doesn't seem to want me to send texts...it's proven smarter than I am...the old flip phone was more my speed...
Have you taken any of the classes Apple has to offer? They can teach you about the various functions of your phone. You just have to ask. There may be a small fee based on the Apple Care package you may or may not have. The classes are definitely worth it!

Old 12-26-2017, 08:43 AM

10,532 posts, read 8,789,585 times
I have an old Classic IPOD that I use to sleep on long-distance flights (8-13 hours). I use my cell phone to navigate rental cars in the US and Europe and communicate with family members. I have a Kindle for reading before I sleep. So, of course I also need charging devices.

Yes, times have changed since I took my first trip by air, sometime in the early 50s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel