U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 09:47 AM

5,991 posts, read 2,914,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
We went on s cruise in October. We could have paid for WiFi and streaming for our phones but we decided to go a week without. None of us died, including our kids! And it was fantastic!!
A cruise is kind of different since one of the benefits of a cruise is everything is planned for you. They tell you about the options for shore excursions, they tell what your options are for food, they tell you what entertainment is happening that night, you can't get too lost, etc.

Electronics have made travel so much easier. Just like cebuan we used it to save wikitravel pages for offline use, we downloaded regions on google maps for offline, downloaded movies on Netflix, hundreds of books, google translate downloaded languages we needed offline, etc. A cell phone without cell service GPS still works great on downloaded map, and can pin locations and destinations to find easier.

Also like cebuan we tended to only book places to stay a coupe days ahead since our plans were always fluid, and it's great being able to research your transportation options and figure out what part of town to get to for catching the minibus/combi/whatever to next destination. Also have used it to grab Uber in everywhere from South Africa to Indonesia to India to Mexico City. We also used electronic devices to deal with banking, investments, we paid our income taxes, renewed health insurance, can get scanned copies of mail we receive at our USA post office box, and a million other things I can't even remember right now.

The main pleasures of travel remain the same regardless of electronics... seeing cool stuff, eating good food, enjoying experience in other cultures. Modern electronics just make it more convenient to do these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 09:55 AM

5,372 posts, read 9,879,241 times
I agree with all the benefits posted...but still in all, the most unique places (and mostly very enjoyable) we've stayed at have been recommended to us by taxi drivers and folks we've met in cafes...love staying at little known local places--sometimes an Auntie or Grandmom's extra bedroom...

Old 12-27-2017, 10:40 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,474,166 times
We traveled totally unplugged for 8 days in Cuba last summer. I didn't want to waste time hunting down a WiFi card, then standing in the locations where there were hotspots (NOT available for free in hotels or restaurants, as in the US)....so, I simply used my phone off-line for a map, for the few times it would work. We had no cell service and no television either. In fact, our mothers had no idea if we even made it to Cuba until we landed back in the US at the end of the week!!

It was glorious, especially when I did not try to catch up with everything upon my return. I DID miss not being able to look up open times or restaurant reviews/suggestions on the fly, however.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:04 AM

2,664 posts, read 1,559,752 times
I have and will again but only if my child and spouse are with me. If not I need to be connected in case of an emergency with one of them. Any other extended family I can live without hearing from for a week or two.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:22 PM

606 posts, read 557,887 times
Thank you for the Post Little Dolphin; I too, do not have many electronic gadgets. This will be helpful data for me.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:11 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,099,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I agree with all the benefits posted...but still in all, the most unique places (and mostly very enjoyable) we've stayed at have been recommended to us by taxi drivers and folks we've met in cafes...love staying at little known local places--sometimes an Auntie or Grandmom's extra bedroom...
I think one way to look at it is that not that technology takes away from those types of experiences but gives you an opportunity to have those same things without having to rely on that randomness. We now have apps like Airbnb that let you find that extra bedroom that isn't going to be listed on a travel booking site or you can look up reviews for places that are based on people's experiences and not on a recommendation from someone who is getting a kickback on sending business their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel