Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 08:57 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times

Advertisements

Does anyone travel without any electronic devices at all? Nothing that needs charging? Nothing digital?

Is it even possible to travel unplugged any more?

Is a tablet a good travel companion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 09:18 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
When we travel domestically, I travel with both my cell phone and wi-fi only tablet. DH takes his cellphone. We use them pretty much as we would at home.

We have very limited international 4G service from our cellphone carrier, so we use the devices with free wifi or downloaded information only:

To call Uber or Lyft
To read downloaded books from the library
To play solitaire on airplanes
To get directions and information we might need using wifi if out of the country
I occasionally pick up texts and email when I have wifi

We NEVER use the wifi on cruise ships - too damn expensive!

But, yes, it's certainly possible to travel unplugged. All of us did it for decades, and many people still do.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:02 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Does anyone travel without any electronic devices at all? Nothing that needs charging? Nothing digital?

Is it even possible to travel unplugged any more?

Is a tablet a good travel companion?
Possible? Sure. Not sure I would want to though. My smartphone and iPad mini serve far too many purposes and help to reduce the weight of my carryons. Far too many benefits to go without.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Possible? Sure. Not sure I would want to though. My smartphone and iPad mini serve far too many purposes and help to reduce the weight of my carryons. Far too many benefits to go without.
So you think the technology improves your travel experience in important ways?

What's improved? Just curious...

Old 12-25-2017, 10:56 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:

Airline apps that provide real time status updates on flight status and let me know when my bag has been loaded into the aircraft

The Starbucks app (and similar) for quick and easy snacks while on the road. The Starbucks app even works in the UK at a decent exchange rate

Maps and traffic information in real time, as well as directions to go around active traffic congestion areas.

Mass transit apps; the option to pay with your phone with Apple Pay and such for some mass transit services rather than having to keep track of paper and plastic tickets

Translation apps- not perfect, but typically good enough to figure out what's going on when you don't know the language

Finding nearby restaurant and grocery store options

Weather radar for planned outdoor-heavy days

Taking a picture of where you parked the car and/or the license plate number of the rental car

Old 12-25-2017, 11:06 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I would never travel without my Kindle and the ability to have dozens of books at my fingertips.

But I would also not go without my Smartphone, I find it too useful. Depending on where I'm going, I may or mayh not bring my Chromebook or a tablet. I find it convenient to have though as it helps me plan and update my travel itinerary and book tickets for sightseeing, making reservations, planning a route on public transport etc

Old 12-25-2017, 11:08 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:

Well, my iPad mini allows me to carry multiple books, magazines, movies, tv shows, and games all while weighing less than a pound and taking up less space than one magazine.

My smartphone allows me to check in without going to the counter and skip printing a boarding pass. I also have all the apps for the various airlines. One of my favorite uses is to check the seat map right before boarding and change my seat to a more desireable one (with an empty adjacent seat) or see if there are any upgrades still available (cheaper closer to flight time). It's also come in handy when a flight has been cancelled (for whatever reason). Most everyone lines up so the gate agent can rebook them to another flight ... I simply take care of it myself and avoid waiting in line.

I've also got an app that has maps for every major airport with directories for shopping, dining, and services. Before I even get off my first flight, I can identify where my next gate is, and where I want to eat while I wait. Because I have certain dietary restrictions, I can also consult with apps that help me find someplace safe for me to eat.

There's a bunch of other uses for my smartphone while traveling ... checking work email, checking weather satellite, Uber, navigating at my destination, finding gas stations near the airport (so I can gas before returning my rental), purchase and use rail transit passes, change hotel reservations on the fly, transfer money to/from bank accounts when I need more $$, keep track of various loyalty cards (without having to carry the cards), pay for stuff without digging out my wallet ... the list goes on and on.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:29 AM

Wow, I had no idea. Those are a lot of uses. But as I'm something of a Luddite, it (the appliance) would not be as useful for me...Those who know how to use the technology seem to really enjoy it...

My iPhone remains much of a mystery to me...it doesn't seem to want me to send texts...it's proven smarter than I am...the old flip phone was more my speed...

Old 12-25-2017, 11:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:

While I am not 'gadget' obsessive... there are certainly benefits to saving time and frustration while traveling (lots of time!!! I CAN get lost in strange places)

your (unlocked) iphone will handle this (I use a <$100 multi SIM android I bought in Thailand) Buy a 'prepaid SIM' in country for ~$20 for a month

maps... I use maps.me and it has led us to fabulous 'Historical Points of interest' that are not listed in tourist brochures or by signs (such as abandoned forts and castles in farmer fields and along coast)

Even helping you navigate OUT of Train stations (via mode of choice (walk, bus, train, taxi...)
Walking around strange cities (where you may not have a 'sense of direction' / no sun for shadows...)

Food (recommendations and nearby and map and phone number)

Lodging (different directories for local stays)

Campermate app in NZ (camping 'realtime updates' on vacancies, events, food, weather, sites and sights...)

Mobile Data (banking and keeping my Asia factories running while I am running around elsewhere)

Transportation - Bus (apps / tracking / routes), Taxi (apps), train, plane (checking in on time...)

Whatsapp (web txting and picture sharing)

Old 12-25-2017, 11:45 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
I only take my phone when I travel. I don't use it unless it's an emergency though.

Part of the reason I travel is to get away from the daily grind, which includes electronics all around me. I'll take a book if I need something to do on the plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel