U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2017, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
10,511 posts, read 8,753,773 times
Reputation: 12192

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Things have been changing very rapidly Shelly, how many times have you flown into a US airport over the last couple years? The last four airports we have flown into internationally (Dulles, LAX, Houston, and Honolulu) all had Automated Passport Control where they have dozens of kiosks for US citizens to spread out and handle their ingress. There was literally no wait to get to a kiosk where it takes two minutes to scan your passport, answer the Customs questions, have your photo taken, and get the receipt printed out. You then take your receipt to the exit point where they are collected, there can sometimes be a small line here but we're talking max a couple more minutes.



Here is the list of US airports that now use APC machines:

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
Aruba Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA)
Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH)
Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW)
Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
Denver International Airport (DEN)
Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)
Dublin International Airport (DUB)
Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
Honolulu International Airport (HNL)
Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS)
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
Miami International Airport (MIA)
Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)
Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
Montréal - Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
Nassau Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS)
New York - John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
Oakland International Airport (OAK)
Orlando International Airport (MCO)
Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
Portland International Airport (PDX)
Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)
Reno International Airport (RNO)
Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
San Diego International Airport (SAN)
San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
Seattle Sea-Tac Airport (SEA)
Tampa International Airport (TPA)
Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
William P. Hobby International Airport (HOU)


Your information is outdated, with APC you answer the customs questions on the kiosk just like with Global Entry.
That's interesting. We have gone through the kiosk procedure on our last two visits to the West Coast. It isn't a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2017, 06:23 PM
 
Location: On the road
5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
Reputation: 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
But since I have global entry I generally do not pay attention to anything other than the signs pointing to the global entry kiosks.
Well there you go, you really don't know how long it takes for US citizen without global entry to clear immigration at an airport with APC. Surely that makes it difficult to know it could take an hour longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
That's interesting. We have gone through the kiosk procedure on our last two visits to the West Coast. It isn't a big deal.
Agreed, it's quite easy and has reduced our range of wait times from 20-60 down to 5-15. I'm sure it's saving a ton of money too seeing all those empty booths that used to be manned by expensive officers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2017, 01:06 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Reputation: 23643
Using the US Customs app, on your phone = skip the kiosk.

Scan your passport and take your picture while you are taxing to the gate.

But... I was even more impressed with my Global Entry... short cuts at all points... boarding, (pre-clearance), immigration and AG inspection? But... I still have to remove my shoes... (they beep everytime)

Now that more people have TSA pre.... it is sometimes slower than cattle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2017, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Reputation: 7281
I'm not a US citizen, but Canadian. I have never applied for TSA pre-check, nor do I have Global Entry or Nexus. Yet, last month I flew from Palm Springs to Vancouver and was given a boarding pass with TSA pre-check on it, so went through that line.

This seems to conflict with the link that says it's open to US citizens only...anyone know how the heck I got this? All the info I've founds says I have to have Nexus as a Canadian if I want TSA pre-check, which I don't...never even applied for it.

https://www.loungebuddy.com/blog/tsa...ltimate-guide/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2017, 10:27 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Reputation: 23643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm not a US citizen, but Canadian. I have never applied for TSA pre-check, nor do I have Global Entry or Nexus. Yet, last month I flew from Palm Springs to Vancouver and was given a boarding pass with TSA pre-check on it, so went through that line.

This seems to conflict with the link that says it's open to US citizens only...anyone know how the heck I got this? All the info I've founds says I have to have Nexus as a Canadian if I want TSA pre-check, which I don't...never even applied for it.

https://www.loungebuddy.com/blog/tsa...ltimate-guide/
sure, take it when you can get it... 'TSA Pre' is issued randomly to all ticket holders (probably terrorists / watch list too...) (unless you pay EXTRA for TSA-pre or for Global Entry).

you MUST have TSA pre-printed on your Boarding pass to go through TSA pre... If missing... You must go back to the Airline counter and have them reprint (Or go through cattle class, often faster).

Nexus meets TSA pre (IIRC), but you need to plug that number into your airline profile (Trusted Traveler)
and you need to be sure your reservation name identically matches your Nexus / trusted traveler. I'd present the Nexus at TSA checkpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 02:41 AM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
2,069 posts, read 3,501,830 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Now that more people have TSA pre.... it is sometimes slower than cattle class.
Sometimes, but pre always has a reasonable wait time. And I get to keep my shoes on. And I'm not ushered in to a nude-o-scope. So I don't care if it is 5 minutes slower, I'm using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD
1,300 posts, read 1,094,287 times
Reputation: 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm not a US citizen, but Canadian. I have never applied for TSA pre-check, nor do I have Global Entry or Nexus. Yet, last month I flew from Palm Springs to Vancouver and was given a boarding pass with TSA pre-check on it, so went through that line.

This seems to conflict with the link that says it's open to US citizens only...anyone know how the heck I got this? All the info I've founds says I have to have Nexus as a Canadian if I want TSA pre-check, which I don't...never even applied for it.

https://www.loungebuddy.com/blog/tsa...ltimate-guide/
It isn't only for American citizens, permanent residents and certain other nationalities can apply. If you travel to the US frequently, I would recommend applying for the NEXUS program, it only costs $50 for 5 years (or almost 6 if you have your interview right after your birthday) and you get TSAPrecheck and Global Entry benefits. Also I was told that children get to enroll into NEXUS for free, so that is also a huge savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 01:14 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Reputation: 23643
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
It isn't only for American citizens, permanent residents and certain other nationalities can apply. If you travel to the US frequently, I would recommend applying for the NEXUS program, it only costs $50 for 5 years (or almost 6 if you have your interview right after your birthday) and you get TSAPrecheck and Global Entry benefits. Also I was told that children get to enroll into NEXUS for free, so that is also a huge savings.
Wrong (According to US Customs - https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...sked-questions)
The NEXUS card will be recognized by the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations only. When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card.
If Canada is your only international destination, Nexus will suffice for Global Entry.
If Canada is your home... you use Nexus (Canada administered)

so... apparently this chart is not too clear...(implies Nexus is equivalent to GE (which it IS for Canadians))
https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-comparison-chart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD
1,300 posts, read 1,094,287 times
Reputation: 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Wrong (According to US Customs - https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...sked-questions)
The NEXUS card will be recognized by the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations only. When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card.
If Canada is your only international destination, Nexus will suffice for Global Entry.
If Canada is your home... you use Nexus (Canada administered)

so... apparently this chart is not too clear...(implies Nexus is equivalent to GE (which it IS for Canadians))
https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-comparison-chart
That is only in reference to using the CARD at the kiosks, none of the cards are accepted at the kiosks at US airport points of entry. Everyone who arrives at a US airport must use their passport at the kiosk unless they are a green card holder then they must use their green card.

Quote:
Can I use my Global Entry card at the Global Entry kiosk?

No, when you use the Global Entry kiosk, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card. The Global Entry cards do not work when entering the U.S. by air through the Global Entry kiosks.
Based on that chart NEXUS is the superior program and those that can take advantage of it should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 06:54 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Reputation: 23643
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
...

Based on that chart NEXUS is the superior program and those that can take advantage of it should.
By all means... If you are Canadian, take advantage of it (as well as your other great benefits!!!, like Affordable Healthcare +/-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top