U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 11:10 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
By all means... If you are Canadian, take advantage of it (as well as your other great benefits!!!, like Affordable Healthcare +/-)
NEXUS Eligibility

Thankfully you don't have to be Canadian to take advantage. If I happen to be lucky enough to be able to travel to a NEXUS enrollment center at no additional cost when it comes time to renew I will opt for the NEXUS program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 11:28 AM

12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
It isn't only for American citizens, permanent residents and certain other nationalities can apply. If you travel to the US frequently, I would recommend applying for the NEXUS program, it only costs $50 for 5 years (or almost 6 if you have your interview right after your birthday) and you get TSAPrecheck and Global Entry benefits. Also I was told that children get to enroll into NEXUS for free, so that is also a huge savings.
I don't go often enough to warrant a Nexus pass. When I do land crossings, sometimes the Nexus line isn't much faster, and half of my land crossings are done at a very small crossing in eastern BC. Never more than one car in front of me.

I was just surprised to see TSA pre-check on my boarding pass, since as I said, don't have Nexus, never applied for it, and have NO status in the US.

I must have passed some background check? I've been crossing since I was a child in the 1960's. No arrests, no record, never delayed at the border on suspicion of anything.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I don't go often enough to warrant a Nexus pass. When I do land crossings, sometimes the Nexus line isn't much faster, and half of my land crossings are done at a very small crossing in eastern BC. Never more than one car in front of me.

I was just surprised to see TSA pre-check on my boarding pass, since as I said, don't have Nexus, never applied for it, and have NO status in the US.

I must have passed some background check? I've been crossing since I was a child in the 1960's. No arrests, no record, never delayed at the border on suspicion of anything.
TSA pre-check on my boarding pass ... they do this randomly, perhaps for marketing (get you hooked?)

Inevitably... traveling as a couple... one of us would get it 'randomly' (that person took the computers... and contraband)

I have an 'Enhanced' RFID Drivers license for my frequent Canadian crossings, but also GE for 'other' international trips (Included TSA Pre). We had to find a GE interview location away from home... (8 month wait list...) The place we chose (San Antonio) was scheduling in the current week, and we are there a lot, so was EZ. Nexus would be EZ too... we will see what washes out... USA may step on their neighbor's toes... (again) that would not be nice.

Foot-in-mouth (again...)

Old 01-04-2018, 05:26 PM

1,940 posts, read 938,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I am a US citizen. I am a permanent resident of Denmark (ie., the place where I live). My wife is a Danish citizen; she has always lived in Denmark.

Am I eligible for the TSA Pre program?

But I don't think she is?

Do any of you know for sure?
Recently re entered USA from Costa Rica, and also have Global entry

1. You can get TSA Pre for $80 but only helps in domestic flights bypassing the usual lane. Better option is to pay $100 and get Global Entry which is TSA Pre + special lane while entering USA.

2. Global entry is available for citizens of Germany and United Kingdom but not Denmark.

3. Mobile passport is available for US citizens. It is free and helps the whole family ( if all US citizens) get through immigration and customs very quickly when arriving in USA. But it does not have TSA Pre
https://mobilepassport.us/

Old 01-06-2018, 06:49 AM

5,939 posts, read 2,891,210 times
We just entered again, this time through Phoenix. Once again they had dozens of the kiosks for those who took the "US Citizens" left turn and didn't have to enter the long snaking line for foreign visitors waiting for agents in the booths.

No wait to get to kiosk, 3 minutes to scan passport answer customs questions and smile for photo, then another minute to walk out and hand the agent the printed receipt. I don't believe it's possible for someone in Global Entry to have gotten through immigration any faster.

In 2014 when 40 kiosks were first introduced at JFK (one of the worst) the wait times immediately dropped by 50%:

http://www.passengerterminaltoday.co...p?NewsID=56887
Quote:
Recently installed automated passport control kiosks at John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) have significantly reduced wait times for arriving international passengers, according to a new survey released by Global Gateway Alliance. The new kiosks, 40 of which were installed in October 2013, have helped cut average wait times by more than half at JFK's Terminal 4 – times have been reduced from over 36 minutes to just 17 minutes.
JFK now has 127 kiosks. The biggest gain is those arriving at 3:00 am type flights when previously you'd wait forever because there would only be a few officers and lots of empty booths, now coming at 3:00 am is like having 60+ booths manned.

Last edited by lieqiang; 01-06-2018 at 07:01 AM..

Old 01-06-2018, 08:27 AM

1,940 posts, read 938,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
We just entered again, this time through Phoenix. Once again they had dozens of the kiosks for those who took the "US Citizens" left turn and didn't have to enter the long snaking line for foreign visitors waiting for agents in the booths.

No wait to get to kiosk, 3 minutes to scan passport answer customs questions and smile for photo, then another minute to walk out and hand the agent the printed receipt. I don't believe it's possible for someone in Global Entry to have gotten through immigration any faster.
No doubt that using kiosks is better than standing in queue. But I found some of the passport readers kiosks in the airport flaky. Some require multiple attempts to get a scan. A better option is using the camera phone in your spare time any time to read the two lines of characters below your photo in the passport. All the details show up in the phone. All you need is to take a selfie and store the info in your phone with a password. It is there forever. No need to scan again, take any photos or print anything.

Before boarding pull up the stored passports ( you can choose which family members are traveling with you) and answer the two questions about landing airport and airline and the 6 customs questions and leave it on the phone.

When your plane lands and is taxiing to the gate open up the phone, and transmit the info you have. The q code comes in within 30 seconds. You walk up to the mobile lane and the q scan readers and scan those while the officer looks at your physical passport. That is it. Took me 30 seconds and on the way to collect luggage and be out.

One problem is that it has only 24 airports and a major omission is Charlotte airport.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:47 PM

4,407 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
TSA Pre✓

If we're talking about that, how do we pronounce it? Is it phonetic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or