U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2017, 02:30 AM
 
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
10,522 posts, read 8,765,146 times
Reputation: 12215

Advertisements

I am a US citizen. I am a permanent resident of Denmark (ie., the place where I live). My wife is a Danish citizen; she has always lived in Denmark.

Am I eligible for the TSA Pre program?

But I don't think she is?

Do any of you know for sure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2017, 03:15 AM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston/Tricity
38,002 posts, read 55,785,174 times
Reputation: 89768
Explore here:
https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/eligibility
https://www.tsa.gov/precheck
To be eligible to participate in TSA Pre✓®, foreign citizens must meet specific citizenship/residency requirements. The TSA Pre✓® application program membership is only open to U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals and lawful permanent residents. Before you apply, we recommend that you review the various DHS trusted traveler programs such as the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, Global Entry, NEXUS, or SENTRI to ensure you meet the eligibility requirements and determine the best program for you.

Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., UK citizens, Indian citizens, Swiss citizens, Dutch citizens, South Korean citizens, Panamanian citizens, Singaporean citizens, Colombian citizens, German citizens, Argentinian citizens, and Mexican nationals. Global Entry program is probably a better deal—particularly because the program includes TSA PreCheck clearance.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-who-can-apply

http://time.com/money/4656418/tsa-pr...-global-entry/
https://thepointsguy.com/2014/05/glo...guide-and-faq/
https://thepointsguy.com/2015/07/fas...und-the-world/
https://travel.stackexchange.com/que...up-for-tsa-pre
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2017, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD
1,300 posts, read 1,096,069 times
Reputation: 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I am a US citizen. I am a permanent resident of Denmark (ie., the place where I live). My wife is a Danish citizen; she has always lived in Denmark.

Am I eligible for the TSA Pre program?

But I don't think she is?

Do any of you know for sure?
First, make sure that you are signing up for either Global Entry or Nexus. Nexus is only advised if you are able to get to one of their enrollment centers around the Canadian border, if they are convenient for you Nexus is a cheaper program and you get the same benefits of Global Entry and TsaPre.

As a US citizen you are eligible. Your wife's eligibility will depend on her visa status
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2017, 09:51 AM
 
Location: On the road
5,949 posts, read 2,895,036 times
Reputation: 11392
For entering US they have those kiosks now for US citizens, we can get through those things so fast I'm not sure precheck gets you through any faster. I used to worry if we only had two hours on an intl transfer into US since could spend 45 minutes in the snaking line at immigration, these days it's 10 minutes to get through immigration.

Can't speak for how much time precheck saves you on the way out though, and yes I understand I'm not answering your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2017, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
2,069 posts, read 3,504,130 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
For entering US they have those kiosks now for US citizens, we can get through those things so fast I'm not sure precheck gets you through any faster.
Precheck is only used for clearing TSA security. It isn't used for immigration. Global entry ("those kiosks") is the system used for immigration, and it automatically includes precheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2017, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD
1,300 posts, read 1,096,069 times
Reputation: 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
For entering US they have those kiosks now for US citizens, we can get through those things so fast I'm not sure precheck gets you through any faster. I used to worry if we only had two hours on an intl transfer into US since could spend 45 minutes in the snaking line at immigration, these days it's 10 minutes to get through immigration.

Can't speak for how much time precheck saves you on the way out though, and yes I understand I'm not answering your question.
The amount of time it saves will mainly depend on the airport you are landing at and the number of other flights that are landing at the same time. There are some airports where not having Global entry can cost you up to an hour of wait time. I recently had to go through the visitor line with my underage cousin which added at least a 30 minute wait and even though I probably could have gone through the US citizen line that line was even longer.

In addition, Global Entry also allows you to answer the Customs questions so you can also bypass that line. That being said it seems that some airports are changing how things are done so your experience with having Global Entry can be similar to those without but for the times you are stuck in a long line and are seeing people breeze through the Global Entry lines, you are going to wish you had it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2017, 11:49 AM
 
Location: On the road
5,949 posts, read 2,895,036 times
Reputation: 11392
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
The amount of time it saves will mainly depend on the airport you are landing at and the number of other flights that are landing at the same time. There are some airports where not having Global entry can cost you up to an hour of wait time. I recently had to go through the visitor line with my underage cousin which added at least a 30 minute wait and even though I probably could have gone through the US citizen line that line was even longer.
Things have been changing very rapidly Shelly, how many times have you flown into a US airport over the last couple years? The last four airports we have flown into internationally (Dulles, LAX, Houston, and Honolulu) all had Automated Passport Control where they have dozens of kiosks for US citizens to spread out and handle their ingress. There was literally no wait to get to a kiosk where it takes two minutes to scan your passport, answer the Customs questions, have your photo taken, and get the receipt printed out. You then take your receipt to the exit point where they are collected, there can sometimes be a small line here but we're talking max a couple more minutes.



Here is the list of US airports that now use APC machines:

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
Aruba Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA)
Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH)
Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW)
Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
Denver International Airport (DEN)
Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)
Dublin International Airport (DUB)
Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
Honolulu International Airport (HNL)
Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS)
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
Miami International Airport (MIA)
Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)
Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
Montréal - Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
Nassau Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS)
New York - John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
Oakland International Airport (OAK)
Orlando International Airport (MCO)
Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
Portland International Airport (PDX)
Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)
Reno International Airport (RNO)
Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
San Diego International Airport (SAN)
San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
Seattle Sea-Tac Airport (SEA)
Tampa International Airport (TPA)
Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
William P. Hobby International Airport (HOU)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
In addition, Global Entry also allows you to answer the Customs questions so you can also bypass that line. That being said it seems that some airports are changing how things are done so your experience with having Global Entry can be similar to those without but for the times you are stuck in a long line and are seeing people breeze through the Global Entry lines, you are going to wish you had it.
Your information is outdated, with APC you answer the customs questions on the kiosk just like with Global Entry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2017, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD
1,300 posts, read 1,096,069 times
Reputation: 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Things have been changing very rapidly Shelly, how many times have you flown into a US airport over the last couple years? The last four airports we have flown into internationally (Dulles, LAX, Houston, and Honolulu) all had Automated Passport Control where they have dozens of kiosks for US citizens to spread out and handle their ingress. There was literally no wait to get to a kiosk where it takes two minutes to scan your passport, answer the Customs questions, have your photo taken, and get the receipt printed out. You then take your receipt to the exit point where they are collected, there can sometimes be a small line here but we're talking max a couple more minutes.
Well in the past year I have flown internationally into
Ft Lauderdale
BWI
Dulles x2
JFK X 2

But since I have global entry I generally do not pay attention to anything other than the signs pointing to the global entry kiosks. I will grant that I may have just flow in before some of the changes were implemented at some of those airports as I have a vague memory of some construction going on but I distinctly remember when i flew into FLL in January that immigration had a long line and I was afraid that we were going to have go to the regular line because I was having problems with helping my dad because he has a foreign passport and I didn't know we had to use his greencard.

The situation in Dulles with my cousin happened in July and again I don't recall there being any APU's but even if they were there he isn't a US Citizen or resident so I don't think we could have used them anyways.

Again as I stated earlier things are going to depend on the airport and what else is happening at the time you land. Not everyone is going to find it useful but my non American family members find it very useful, especially since they aren't residents so it cuts down on the process for them.

When combined with the TSAPrecheck benefits and the fact that it can cost anywhere from $0 to less than $20 a year it is a worthwhile investment for even a mild airline traveler who flies only a few times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2017, 03:38 PM
 
Location: When will Hell Freeze Phoenix, AZ
287 posts, read 781,102 times
Reputation: 202
You shouldn't have any problems getting TSA precheck approved. It gets you to the front of the line, you don't have to take off your shoes, etc. This helps esp. when returning to the country through a busy airport, like LA, where it can take a while to catch a connecting flight. I've missed a connecting flight because of a plane delay and then a very long TSA line. If I had been pre-approved I would have made my flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2017, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
10,522 posts, read 8,765,146 times
Reputation: 12215
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Precheck is only used for clearing TSA security. It isn't used for immigration. Global entry ("those kiosks") is the system used for immigration, and it automatically includes precheck.
My wife isn't planning to immigrate and I have no plans to reside in the US. But we do visit the US once or twice a year. I was just thinking of a way to reduce the hassle for her, which actually isn't that great in the first place, since she goes through pass control in the US, together with me.

But I see now that it can't be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top